How do I resist the temptation to go back and reread and edit my book even though I just finished my novel four days ago?

Apparently its good to take a break which I understand, but I never thought that I would be faced with the issue of resisting the urge to go back and reread my novel and start editing.

I do not even know where to start when it comes to editing. I have read articles but they all say different things. In my head I find myself editing the story and still thinking about it.

I even added more editing notes on my notes folder even though i did not reread my novel yet.

3mo Im letting my friend read it. I asked him to answer some questions after he is done but the book is about 113,000 words long. By the time he is done I will probably be in the process of editing the book again. I decided to give myself a 1 month break before editing again.

Most Helpful Guy

• Find something else to occupy your time, and keep yourself busy with other projects until you no longer are thinking about your book. Maybe let someone else read it and provide some notes and feedback for you as well, it's tough to be your own critic or editor.

Im letting my friend read it. I asked him to answer some questions after he is done but the book is about 113,000 words long. By the time he is done I will probably be in the process of editing the book again. I decided to give myself a 1 month break before editing again.

Well i have short story i did not complete. But all i can think about is different novel ideas

Start writing down your ideas for different novels then!
      You don't have to write them yet, but if you've got ideas, get them on paper so you can add to them as ideas come to you. This way you will always have several novels in their infant stages and when you're ready to really focus on a big project you can pick from the ideas you've had in the past.
      Using the music comparison from before, I've got probably close to a hundred audio files on my computer that are 15-30 seconds long with little riffs that I've thought up or stumbled upon but haven't turned into a song.
      When I'm looking to record a new project, I can go back and listen to these basic ideas and pick one that sounds right for the state of mind I'm in and build upon that idea.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 0