Which singer/singers do your ears hate hearing, but is considered a great singer?

Yes, they can sing, and their notes are beyond dispute - they can reach them and hold them, BUT - the tone of their voices make my soul cringe.

Mine are two:

Kristin Chenoweth
Which singer/singers do your ears hate hearing, but is considered a great singer?and

Idina Menzel

Their tone and voice color makes my ears BLEED!
It's as if they were scratching and piercing my eardrums from withing with that screeching sounds they produce.

I don't understand how people can actually listen to them.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes! Idina Menzel was the very first person that came to mind when I clicked on your question.

Also:
    Jennifer Hudson

One of the most aurally offensive experiences ever is listening to "I Love You I Do" and "Listen" in Dreamgirls, where Jennifer Hudson *tries* to sing with Beyonce.

Special Mention:

P! nk and Nate Reuss got way too many props for "Just Give Me a Reason." It's a nice song, but the second half of it, when they really have their range tested, is a screeching mess. They both have their niche, but that song wasn't it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Idina Menzel:😫 Let It Go & Shut the Fuck Up.
    Rihanna : unpopular opinion: her voice has actually improved compared to when she first started out but her voice on "Run This Town" sounded like someone strangling a cat. 😕
    Taylor Swift: I don't know if she's considered a great singer but her voice is super annoying😑

What Guys Said 28

• Probably Michael Jackson. I recognize his talent, skill, and I respect his music. However, I really just don't like his music. Some people get really upset when I say this too lol. There are a lot of hardcore MJ fans I think. 😅

You don't like Michael Jackson's music? I feel sorry for you. You probably listen to trash anyways

@loveisbeautiful Lol thank you. And yeah, that's what I was trying to say-- MJ's music just isn't for me. 😅

You're welcome and see I actually listen to people lol.

• Nothing turns the radio off for me faster than adele.

Oh, you beat me to it. Whiny, unhappy, slightly mentally unbalanced (per her lyrics) Adele...

• Pretty much any mainstream rock band from the 1980s like Queen or Guns N Roses. I hate those effeminate voices and androgynous tendencies ruining music. The latter completely ruined "Knocking on Heaven's Door" among other classics, their only claim to fame being that their greatest hits are just remakes. I much prefer the music of the 1960s, like Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash.

• Katy Perry. Although I have not heard anyone describe her as "a great singer" her effort in Firework showed the world that she could not sing.
    She reached for notes (and failed), could not hold notes and went flat when she tried.
    It was pathetic. That she was happy to release Firework, showed how little she knew about music.

• Sinéad O'Connor
    she hasn't done anything in a long time but I never understood how she could be a "Star". It is like cats screaming while scratching their nails on a chalk board.

• Adele and Pink. I can't stand either of them, to me they can't sing and especially in the case of Adele their music is depressing

• Janis Joplin. I want to rip the radio out of my car dash the second the makes a sound

• Bob Dylan comes to my mind because he can't carry a tune in a bucket. I also can't stand Ariana Grande not just for her voice, but a bunch of other reasons. And even though I may get a lot of hate for this I don't like Luke Bryan. His voice is good, but I just can't really stand how the stations overplay him.

• Jessica Simpson.
    She's too incompetent to work at McDonalds.

Yeah, but she really isn't considered a great singer. Everyone knows she can't really sing...

• Taylor Swift. I cannot express just how much I can't stand her... lol

• phil collins how can anyone think he is great? All his songs are terrible and his voice sounds like a dying mentally retarded guy lol.

• Just more proof that sounds all sound different to people. I personally still have to get used to hearing my voice on recordings.

• The Beatles. Don't misunderstand though. I do respect the Beatles. I just can't stand listening to them! It's like nails on a chalkboard to me. OH! Also, the bands Rush and Coheed and Cambria!! I wish the one good ear I do have would stop working when I hear any of those three bands

I love the band Rush but totally get that. His voice is definetely very niche since it's so high and whiny lol. Same with Coheed And Cambria. "Welcome Home" sounds so epic, but the voice...

@dangerDoge exactly. Both Rush and Coheed and Cambria are great as far as the music itself goes. But their voices... can't do it

• Just about anything that exists in the POP world right now i simply can't stand. It all sounds the same and i feel like my soul is being sucked out when i listen to it.

• Slightly controversal i know but: Robert Plant - Lead singer of Led Zep. Used to like Led Zep but gone of them now...

• Bob Dylan without a doubt. I can't stand his voice.

• Most of them.

• Sia can't stand her

• 90% of modern artists today if not more. I really just do not like a lot the music in general that has come out the last 15-20 years or so. Most of the music I love is actually from the later portion of the 20th century. So much better.

• I'd say Leonard Cohen... I mean, he has awesome tunes but sh*t... he has such an extremely dark voice and color that it's too much... ugh.

• i hate adelle and her endless ex boyfriend dirge

• Adele.

Before I'd ever heard her sing, all I heard was people raving about how great her voice is.

When I finally heard a song, I was like "wtf? seriously? are all these people tone deaf?"

• I hate to say it, but Justin beiber

• Drake
    Taylor swift
    I can't stand them.

• Bruno Mars. Locked out of heaven

• Tom Petty, and the Later Michael Jackson.

• Justin bieber
    Christina Aguilera
    That guy who sings "Happy," what a gay song, is he gay? I sure hope so cause otherwise what a wuss he is

• Adelle! For the love of god she's horrible

What Girls Said 33

• I really don't like Beatles for some reason. I also hate little Wayne that dude sucks so much.

• I get you, I can stand them, but I get you.

For me, it's Mariah Carey. She has amazing range, I love her music, but sometimes her singing is just... eh. It's great sometimes, but it's not Whitney Great (good as just singing... not hitting notes)

Like first verse-awesome, second-eh.
    https://youtu.be/mIhI23gBBPQ
    the high notes are nice everywhere

But this, man. Gold.
    https://youtu.be/wrTuV4Szxzo

Both side by side (I thought Mariah did really good in this song)

Haha, it took about 30 minutes to finish this question because I went down the Whitney Houston rabbit hole :)
    All the man I need
    Saving all my love
    Run to you
    SOOOOOO GOODDDDDDDD <3

https://youtu.be/3WH1Ma50QUk</a>

I don't know how you think Mariah's voice is annoying but to each their own opinion. As for Whitney, I definitely agree. Whitney > Mariah. Whitney will always be the greatest vocalist of all time.

Oh, Mariah - me too... Can't hear her sing.

Whitney will always be queen👑 No one can sing like her & Mariah yesss I love that song!

• The Weeknd and Ellie Goulding.

Both are so popular, yet both are like nails on a chalkboard to me.

• Michael Bublé. All his songs sound the same, and he's not even that great of a singer. He can only sing like 3 notes properly at best, and the rest is put through Autotune.

Another one I hate is Drake. He can't sing for shit and he's a terrible rapper at best. Everything of his is put through Autotune, even his rap songs.

• Not that my ears hate hearing them but they're annoying, Katy perry and nicki Minaj although nicki is a rapper

Oh & occasionally Christina alguilera. Some songs she sounds really good but others it can get pretty annoying. Depends the song I guess.

• Coldplay. Whenever I hear that mans voice a little part of my grates. It's not his voice I mind, I just hate hate hate Coldplay.

I hate him too! Haha

Hahaha i feel the exact same way. No difference whatsoever. Shocking...

Do not understand how they've been this popular for so long. Rant over haha.

• Axl Rose... GNR wrote some great songs, but man, his voice is irritating, like he's a mosquito feeding on Robert Plant's blood.

• Ones that I can think of right now are Taylor Swift and ceelo green.
    I don't know if they're considered great singers but they're famous/popular, so...

• Adele.

• Taylor Swift, Adele, The Weekend, Shawn Mendes. I'm not crazy about Beyonce's voice either

• the list is too long tbh , it's not that I hate them but most of their songs are just annoying and their voices are not good for my ears.
    One of them are : Adele, Beyonce, Iggy Azaela and many many many more.
    even Rihanna has gross songs, the older ones are much better than the new ones :/

• I recognize that she has skill but I've never understood Katy Perry types of music. With one exception--- I can stand dark horse on occasion.

• Adele and Meghan Trainor come to mind immediately!

• Nicki Manaj (probably didn't spell that right)

• Beyonce, Katy Perry, Ariana Grande.

Yes exept Beyonce for me

@Usernameisnttaken1 Driver roll up the partition please
      I don't need you seeing Yoncé on her knees
      Took 45 minutes to get all dressed up
      We ain't even gonna make it to this club
      Now my mascara runnin', red lipstick smudged
      Oh he so horny, yeah he want to fuck
      He popped all my buttons and he ripped my blouse
      He monica-luwinski'd all on my gown

Beyonce's song about her husband's premature ejaculation lmfaoooo
      So amazing.

*high 5*

I like that you replied by rapping but I do agree with you. I think she used to be good now her music is just garbage. Why? Cuz I slay

• Alanis Morisette (sp?) and yeah not a fan of Idina Menzel either but I don't feel as strongly as you seem to

• Taylor Swift

• Beyoncé and Rihanna for me.

• Amy Winehouse. Not her voice, I just don't get what was so special about her music.

• Katy Perry and Taylor Swift, some people actually consider them good.

• Susan Boyle

• ariana grande, you can't understand a word she sings
    florence welch''s voice always irritates me beyond belief

• For me the most significant one is adele. I really can't stand listening to her music

• Justin Bieber definitely.

• Beyonce. Ariana grande.

• Mariah Carey & Britney Spears.

• Beyoncé and Pharell Williams.

• Alanis Morrisette. Annoying af.
    Taylor Swift too.

• Justen bieber

• Ariana grande

• More from Girls
    3