How to not be scared of roller coasters?

I used to love roller coasters till recently. What happened recently was that well I saw final destination and in the movie basically people go on a roller coaster and an accident happens and they all end up dying. Well tomorrow I'm going to wonderland (amusement park in Canada) and I'm excited but at the same time I'm scared because I keep thinking of the movie and I keep thinking how about if that happens when I'm on a ride. What should I do to not be scared of roller coasters anymore? And do you think that will happen or is it safe?

3mo I just don't wanna go on it and then die just like the people did in the movies because of some accident or if the seat belt for some reason wasn't on right
3mo I was never afraid of them before the movie and I used to love them too

Most Helpful Guy

• Think of how many people go on roller coasters each day. I swear, amusement parks always seemed to be stuffed, and yet they stay operational. If they were death factory, I highly doubt they'd be open for business very long.

Final destination is a mixture of fiction and things that are extremely slim chances. Like-- yeah, I guess I could slip in the bathroom, fall on my shower curtain, and consequently choke myself, but the chances are so small, there is no reason to be afraid of it. If we were afraid of everything that could have the potential to kill us, we'd be always petrified in fear. Many many things have the chance to end our fleeting life given the right circumstances, but the chances are so low for most of em that it shouldn't bother us.

Roller coasters, due to people's fear, have been built with safety and science in mind. They thoroughly test them, and they are likewise designed to work in repetition with no error.

"The odds of dying on a roller coaster are 1 in 300,000,000 (that’s 300 million for those who stopped counting). The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission stated that there were approximately two deaths per year, attributed to a roller coaster accident."
    www.asktheodds.com/death/roller-coaster-odds/

Odds of winning the lottery: 1 in 13,983,816
    Odds of being struck by lighting twice in one life: 1 in 9,000,000
    Odds of becoming President of the U. S.: 1 in 10,000,000
    Odds of getting attacked by a shark: 1 in 11,500,000
    Odds of winning $1,000 in the McDonald’s Monopoly game: 1 in 36,950,005

So yeah, statistically speaking, I can almost guarantee you will be just fine. As long as you don't purposefully try to jump off a roller coaster mid ride, you will survive just like the other millions/billions that ride roller coasters each year.

Most Helpful Girl

• Make sure that you're 100% secure once you sit in the roller coaster. The seat needs to feel tight enough on you. Obviously you've only got those few seconds before the ride starts to verify that everything is right. If the seat belt feels loose at the slightest immediately get out or ask whoever is in charge to fix it for you ( hopefully he or she does his or her job correctly). Also, by choosing the middle seat eases the fear a little. That way you're not next to the emptiness of air, hence you won't get the sensation of the possibility of falling over. It's only a movie after all, it's all fiction and movies tend to exaggerate things. You should never let a movie affect you from doing something because you shouldn't be taking something fiction seriously. I'm aware that roller coaster accidents happen, but the ones that are announced in the news should be taken into consideration and not the ones that happen in movies. If you hear that certain roller coaster had an accident happen in it, then it's best for you to not go to that particular roller coaster (maybe go to a new one where you can tell that the seat belts are really secure). It's all about feeling safe when you sit on that roller coaster seat. Statistics show there're few roller coaster accidents, so I wouldn't worry that much.

What Guys Said 11

• You can't..
    Roller coaster is in fact a Simulation machine designed to scare the shit out of you.. In a safe environment..
    The thing is fear of falling or getting hurt from fall... traveling with the flow of water like drowning in river... All this data is saved in our Primal instincts of being a human!.. Now in roller coaster they mentally trigger each of them!.. So without seeing anything horrific you actually end up being sick scared like shit,.. Or passing out..
    If a person does not get scared from roller coaster and heartbeat does not become uneven!.. And breath does not changes then either he is mentally retarded..
    Or has conquered the fear of his own Primal instincts... Like drowning and sudden changes in altitude!.. Or has been on roller coaster ride like 500 times...
    And if that does not scare him... Then it's because he knows what's coming and his mind is ready for it..
    But of you want to break that tough guy!.. Simple!.. Just add something new to that roller coaster ride something that they weren't expecting like the person right next to him wear a mask and groans and tries to scare the shit out of them..
    You click one of their fear at that time and brain will be surprised by a new something unexpected and it will loose control and go crash!.. And they will be just as scared as you during the ride..

• Those are just stupid movies, it's not real. Wonderland is very safe, all the coasters have seat belts now in addition to the restraints.

Go on Leviathan, enjoy that first drop, and you will be able to handle anything afterwards (I think Behemoth is better overall but Leviathan has the best first drop)

• I have been in over 12 different theme parks each with over 5 rollercoasters. Not only have I been on every one, but non have ever broke or even gotten stuck. The worst that happens is they stop the ride for 5-15 mins to make sure it's working properly.

I don't know about the roller coaster safety standards in Canada, but in America we are OVERLY careful, and youd have more of a chance dying in a car crash on the way there than the 2 mins you're on the ride.

• tell yourself that thousands of people have been on that roller coaster before you that day and nothing happened. so why would there something go wrong if it has not happened to other people?

• The best way to not be scared of them is to not ride them.

But I wanna ride them lol I've ridden them since I was 6 years old and I've always loved them but it's just that I'm kinda scared because of the movie

Right? It's like how do you trust something that you have no control over once you're on it

Exactly.

• Now if I remember correctly, the protagonists avoided the rollercoaster crash and death had to claim them another way.

Yeah something like that but it just shows that roller coaster accidents can happen unexpectedly

• they get checked and seen to regularly. chances of an accident is very scarce. so go and do not think about that but have fun.

• Hop on with the entire group of friends

• Final destination got you? 😂😂😂 lol! D
    Do you believe in the tooth fairy? A dude died from having an engine going through his skull. Are you afraid of cars, too? 😂😂😂

Lmao well not only that, I mean I have heard on the news before were several people died because of roller coaster accidents. And hmmm well now that you say that yup I'm afraid of cars from now on 😂😂😂😂

Ohh thanks for telling me now I'll be afraid of water too and oh yeah I'm definitely afraid of air I always was lmao 😂

• then dont go on it. you can have fun without it

• I don't go on scarier roller coasters anymore since I had a major accident there and I ended in hospital. So look for those suitable for you.
    Have fun with your friends :-)
    by the way. I liked the movie too :)

What Girls Said 6

• I know how you feel only I was already afraid of them and the movie certainly didn't help...

All I can say is are you afraid of planes, trucks, or bridges? I'm sure you continue go trough life while using or associating with all of those things so if you can get through Final Destination 1, 2, and 4 on a normal bases you can get through three as well 😊

Nope I'm not afraid of trucks or bridges but I am kinda afraid of planes and I didn't watch final destination 1,2 and 4 haha were they as scary as 3? 😊

Yup pretty much lol there's a 5 also but I don't think you're invested in racecars lol

• The chances of you dying on a rollercoaster are very slim. Remember, a movie is for entertainment purposes and you shouldn't give the events of a movie so much thought. You can't be scared of everything. If I told you that if you cross the street, someone could hit you if they're drunk driving, would you stop crossing the street? If I told you that your chance of getting into a car accident is one in five thousand, would you stop riding a car?
    Don't worry about it, and have fun.

• What you saw was a movie, a fictional movie. What happened in that movie rarely happens in real life. Many people have never had accidents on rollercoasters, including myself. Don't let a movie spoil your fun and experiences. Although it may be scary at first, just go on the rollercoaster. When you get off, you'll realise it was fine. Let that love for rollercoasters take action again!

• Force yourself to go on them. Roller coasters are supposed to have a scare factor to them, not for this reason of course. The more you do it, I'm sure you'll get over it. It was just a movie that was intended to make you feel this way anyhow

• I haven't seen you in a whole year.
    I don't know... I don't get why people scream on them and shit. They aren't scary

• Rollercoasters have to go through rigorous testing in order to be legally operated. The parks that own them will do anything to prevent danger because they don't want to be sued or lose customers. The chances of an accident on a rollercoaster happening is slim to none, and most of the ones that have happened were due to people doing unsafe things such as unbuckling seat belts, standing up, etc. Final Destination is just a movie and everything that happens in it is extremely unlikely to happen in real life. Try to just relax and have fun, and remember that these rollercoasters have met very high safety standards. To be honest, you are probably more likely to get into a car accident than you are a rollercoaster accident. The theme park nearest to me has only had one death in 43 years of operation, and that was because the girl undid her seatbelt and stood up. I went there every other weekend as a child and there were never any major injuries reported during that time either.