Would you watch a spiderman movie if Peter Parker was black?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• wtf? no. that's not how it is in the comic book. Would you still watch Wonder Woman if she were a shemale?

I gave you a thumbs up, because that was funny as hell. But race and sexuality are 2 different things...

I would if she played the part well. I like to see a Black woman get the part. But in the end to me it's how well did the actor did the part. I'll give a couple examples In the fantastic four movies The white guy to played the part better than the Black actor. However in the Wild Wild West movie Will Smith did a way better job than Robert Conrad and I thought it would of impossible for any actor to top Robert Conrad's version of James West.

Most Helpful Girl

• This shit is getting bad.

I don't understand why they don't create a new hero with new physical features. Spiderman was drawn as a basic white dude. It's the way it is.

^^ This. That's the way he was written, just as Blade was written as a black guy. Unless we're talking about Miles Morales, Peter Parker AND Mary Jane have always been white.

Sorry for ranting, but it does pisses me off.

What Guys Said 45

• These days the media is trying to be politically correct or "progressive" and casting black or female actors in an attempt to fill some arbitrary quota, not because it fits the movie or because they're good actors.

The new Ghostbusters and upcoming star wars are two recent examples. Movies\stories rewritten with females to push a political agenda, not because the movie woukd be good. Rogue One is also CLEARLY a Dark Forces movie, yet they pushed out Kyle Katran as the lead simply because they want to be "progressive" and have a female lead.

So sure, if he was a good actor in a movie with a compelling plot then I don't care about his skin color. If its a crappy movie with crap actor, but he's black because the movie studio has some agenda to push, then no I won't be seeing it.

• Let's start replacing black characters with white actors in movies and see how non biased blacks are when that happens.

Spider Man is a white character. Made by two white guys for a white audience. Anyone who wants more black comic book characters should try inventing some instead of just culturally appropriating white characters like assholes.

• Why would it matter a rats sphincter what his skin color happens to be?

i upvoted you to counter the racist downvote you got

Thanks! Sometimes it gets brutal around here! ; - )

• No... Would you watch Django unchained if Django was played by John travolta?
    It's not true to the original story. Or the original character.

Instead of changing the identity of heros, create new ones. That's what needs to be done.

It is bullshit - just like "Hamilton" on Broadway...

• No, I would not watch it.
    If the Hollyweird Jews want to have a black superhero, let them create a new one. Do not take a white character and turn him black.

• Remaking old characters with different races and genders just makes think they have no original story to tell. You have to assume it sucks before it's even finished being made.

When you actually have something original, you don't need to ride on old coat tails... Pitch Black came out in 2000. From it an entire universe onto itself was created filled with fuereons, necromonger, merc bounty hunters, various settlement factions, prison planets, etc. Do that, don't try to fuck up an old story.

• I already did, Spiderman 3.

• No. Why can't comic book writers create original black or female characters - why overtake already existing ones?

• yes if it's Miles Morales, but no if it's peter parker. I think you should stick to authenticity. Would people be okay if black panther was white?

• Well no becuase the character Peter Parker in the comics is white... not black. It's going against the narrative but then again Hollywood nowadays likes to mix things up and find new ways to make profits as usual.

Would you be happy if the new Luke Skywalker was black for instance?

what the fuck difference would it make... we are all just people regardless of skin tones. if someone could act then thats good enough for me. bet you loved obama getting in ffs

No this is what you do if Hollywood has any common sence which would please everyone mostly. What I would do is write up a new superhero screenplay feature from scratch and this time the protagonist will be African American, simple.

Everyone's a winner

• super hero movies are shit. in fact, most movies these days are utter crap, shit out by hollywood in order to milk big names.

I can't remember the last time i went to the cinema, id rather spend my money on something else. however, i couldnt careless what ethnicity the actors are as long as they do their job well.

• Yes I would.

• Fuck no.

• no we would been transformed by a radioactive watermelon 😂

• I'm black, and I'd watch it only if John Boyega played Spidy. Other than that I probably wouldn't care. For me I don't need to see black men play roles that have commonly been by white guys. Though a black James Bond could be done if they pick the right person. Again, John Boyega would fit that bill pretty well, but in about another 10 years, he's too young right now.

• Yes I'd rather it be the miles morales spiderman but honestly I don't think it matters what colour a fictional character is they constantly change the story of these superheroes I don't care how they look just make it good.

• If the movie looks good, I'll watch it.

Last I checked, his whiteness wasn't an essential Peter Parker characteristic, is it?

• If it was a completely different series of movies, yeah I'd watch it. I hate when they change the actor for a certain character half-way through a series of movies though. His race is irrelevant.

• I would still watch it, but I wouldn't like that they change him just to appease some people.

spider man 2099 is latino

I mean it wouldn't be out of character for a comic book reboot

@Waffles731 If they wanna make a different Spider Man with a difference character and a different race/ethnicity, go ahead, I don't see anything wrong.
      But the question is if you would care if they changed Peter Parker's race. That's just a big no. You can't just change an iconic (even if it was regular) character's race just because some people would be happier (while getting many more angry).

• Why not just use Miles Morales who is black/Latino spiderman? He's wicked awesome.

• I've kinda lost interest in spiderman movies to begin with. And turning characters to another race just seems like a desperate attempt to create controversy and get more people to watch the movie.

• I'd probably be a little salty about it, but if that dude, DONALD GLOVER, AKA TROY BARNES, PLAYED SPIDERMAN, I'd be set. You go, Troy!

• Absolutely not. I would never watch a Spiderman movie with a black Peter Parker. I WOULD however watch a Spiderman movie with Miles Morales, a half-black half-lation kid, being Spiderman. That's who you have pictured by the way just in caseyou didn't know

• If Spider Man was originally black then sure. If he was made black despite spider man already being white then no because it would just be another shitty gimmick.

• My only reason for saying no is that Peter Parker, comic book wise, shares nothing with the black experience and being African-American I feel like if they were to changehim to being black you have to change his Dynamic his backstory and his emotional life to the point where it wouldn't feel like Peter Parker anymore. And that is where Miles Morales Succeeds. Miles Morales is a completely new story that has the black Dynamic and fits the role because it was created to do so

• it's not as bad as these feminist remake movies (like Ghostbusters) which are totally pathetic and catering to the lowest common denominator... but it's still pretty stupid.

why not make a new movie about muhammad ali as a white dude... see?

• Sure? It wouldn't be very accurate regarding the comics, but as of late superhero movie makers don't give a shit about accuracy regarding the comics anyways.

• i wouldn't watch any spider man not a fan

• Why not make a movie centered around Miles Morales

• No but only because It just seems pointless to make Peter black when there is already a black Spiderman named Miles Morales and he's fucking awesome, so i'd love if he just got his own movie as opposed to changing another character.

• More from Guys
    15

What Girls Said 14

• Not if he was that black guy because he doesn't strike me as a good Spiderman, but a different Spiderman? Sure

• I don't like the Spiderman movies so I wouldn't watch regardless. But here's a good rule: a character should only be a of a certain ethinicity or skin tone if necessary.
    For example: Ip Man should be Chinese or at least look relatively Chinese and inhabit the culture. It'd be ironic of he was Japanese or Mongolian or something.
    Django should be black because of the context of slavery.
    Peter Parker however (as far as I know) has no ties to a race, culture, or ethnic background

• Yesss Childish Gambino is life <3 I'm so hyped, he's extremely nerdy and funny. I feel he'll be good ^_^

I just hope that they don't corrupt it like they did with Ghostbusters with that feminist SJW bullshit.

• Sure why not. I'm indifferent. I'm mostly interested if he has great acting skills

• Well I know that the only other spiderman is a latino boy, but on the other hand Holy shit it's Donald Glover... so I'd say 'Eh, beats another Michael Bay transformers movie' and would go see it anyway

• doesn't matter the race as long as he can act... nothing worst then casting people for movies that can't act

• Would be way cooler

• I'd rather watch one about Miles Morales

• No... I don't like Spiderman or commercial Hollywood films.

Few are exceptions.

• Yaaaas. Childish gambino is da shieeet

• Yeah, I'd watch a Miles Morales Spider-Man movie.

• Hell yeah!

• don't watch it no matter what skin colour he has

• Will never watch a white green lantern tho