Should Black Panther be played by Liam Hemsworth? Or are you a racist?

So I've heard some people speak for Idris Elba to be James Bond or the next Spider-Man to star a black kid. Because why be racist or bigoted?

In the spirit of being a non-racist, would you be for Liam Hemsworth taking the role of Black Panther in the Marvel movies? I mean, what does it matter what skin color the actor has, right? Unless you're a bigot! Liam Hemsworth would be a GREAT Black Panther and only RACISTS would disagree!

• I'm not a racist. Liam Hemsworth would be a GREAT Black Panther.
  • I'm a racist and I wouldn't want to switch the race of a character.
3mo I would note that Idris Elba played Heimdall, a Norse GOD in the Thor movies.

If an African black man can play a white Viking God, then a white guy can obviously play an African King.

Most Helpful Guy

• It doesn't make me racist to think that Liam Hemsworth is a bad actor. I'd prefer some other white guy like Jason Statham play the black panther.

What Girls Said 5

• Just saying, Spider-Man is canonically a black kid in a lot of the comics so there genuinely is absolutely nothing wrong with having the next Spider-Man be black :P

vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/.../latest

media4.s-nbcnews.com/.../...bcnews-fp-1200-800.jpg

Yeah and Iron Man is now Iron Woman a teen black girl living in the ghetto with an afro lol.

That wouldn't really be the same,
      Black Panther is a king of Wakanda, which is in north eastern Africa, The only Caucasians who would kinda fit the role would be middle eastern.
      There are plenty of black people from England and Scotland
      Its not really the same thing at all considering that vice versa isn't really true when it comes to north east africa

Then add the fact that yes, Black Panther would pretty much have to be black to be the King of Wakanda as his ancestors would have to be from that region for a long fucking time

• 1. Spider-Man comes from New York, where there really is diversity and you have people of many different races. They can also keep his backstory and his race

2. James Bond is supposed to be an agent for the British Secret Service. They don't need him to be white to keep that. Although I don't like the idea of Idris Elba as James Bond, I don't see race being an issue.

3. Black Panther is supposed to be from the Wakandan Panther Clan, which is purely an African race. His entire character revolves around that. Have you seen a white man being part of an African tribe?

That being said, I would consider it racist if someone like Abraham Lincoln was played by a black man.

• I say stick to the script. The original.
    Black Panther has ALWAYS been African, a Black King. A white male playing him just doesn't add up.
    Ah yeah, a white male born and raised in Africa with African blood in him and he just so happens to be 100% African.

Yea, totally.

Like how idrid elba got a role in thor... Because an African viking. Totally.

Idris Elba played a VIKING GOD. If a black dude can play a Viking God, then a white guy can play an African king.

Precisely.

• 1) There is a black spiderman.
    2) Why can't there be a black James Bond? It's not important to the plot that he is white. Plus he is a fictional character not a historical one.
    3) It is 100% relevant and important to the plot that T'Challa is a black man. He is a literal African King that rules over the most prosperous country, Wakanda, in the Marvel Universe. One of the most important things about this fictional country of Wakanda is that it was never colonized by Europeans. It wouldn't make sense in that universe if T'Challa was played by a white man. Although he isn't a historical character it is important to keep him black because it is so important to the plot.

1. That's just some rip off and cultural appropriation, no more important than a fanfic writer who made a shemale spiderman.
      2. Because James Bond is an Englishment. Anglo Saxons are white. Not Africans.
      3. Oh easy, it could be a kid who was adopted or made a member of the royal family for noble deeds, or a clone that turned out altere, d etc.

1) How is a black spiderman cultural appropriation? Comic books aren't a part of white culture. That's American culture period.
      2) There are black Englishmen. Slavery brought people of African decent to other countries remember?
      3) That could be a thing, but why would a royal family ever do that? Where would they adopt some random white kid or just randomly accept him into the royal family for noble deeds? Clones? Why would royal family clone anything, let alone allow the clone to become part of the royal family? That would require major tweaking to the plot which would ruin the movie for a lot of people. It doesn't make sense to bend and twist the plot only to hire a white actor to play a black character.

Miles Morales became the new Spiderman after Peter Parker died. They didn't just change the race of an existing character.

• To tell you the truth, it has nothing to do with racism. Most comic book lovers want the movie versions to be as on point as possible. Spider man is actually black in one of Marvel's comics. His name is Miles Morales.

And as for T'Challa, not only is he always been black in the comics, he's been portrayed in Civil War by Chadwick Boseman, a black actor. So why change that? It doesn't make any sense.

It's all about the canon I think he's overreacting.
      Black Panther has to be Black, James Bond has to be White. There's no racism here.

Did you watch the videos?
      Most Black people oppose BLM.

@QuestionMan I would say that a very small percent of blacks actually hate whites and such. Maybe 5-10%, or so. The bigger problem is that more like 40% of them will go along with or passively watch black on white violence if a leader starts it.

What Guys Said 23

• The story of James Bond is that of a British man serving her Majesty. No color is implied at all. Spider Man is likewise a man with no color defined.

The Black Panther was introduced in the 1947 single issue publication, All-Negro Comics, as Waku, Prince of the Bantu. That character was changed to king and protector of Wakanda, a fictional African nation. when he appeared in several issues of different Marvel Comics titles, and in 1968 he journeyed from his African nation to the US to join The Avengers. He later starred in a series "Jungle Action".. Sales of that were low and Marvel relaunched The Black Panther in a series named for him.

Black Panther was a protector of his African country and was depicted as black for that position by penciller and co-plotter Jack Kirby.
    upload.wikimedia.org/.../220px-Coal_tiger.jpg
    I think that refusing to acknowledge the origin of the character would actaully be the racist thing.

James Bond is an Englishman... white. Depicted as white too.

English people are white.

Boy did your train leave the tracks with that remark.

• I want a full superhero movie with midgets. They have gotten discriminated enough already.

I aggree, only big role they had were oompa loompas. That's not enough!

Next thor should be black midget tranny that identifies himself as attack hellicopter!

@wolfie12 Nooo they were the Ewoks too!

Wow yeah, but they were completely cowered so...

• I'm not racist and think they should pick someone else.
    He looks too much like his brother Chris who plays Thor.
    The Black Panther is in no way related to Thor and is supposed to be a Black guy according to canon.

I'm a big stickler for canon. When it comes to Spider Man, if the creators want to make it about Miles Morales who is the second Spider Man and is of Black Hispanic descent then they definitely should choose a Black Hispanic or at least a Black actor to stick as close to canon as possible.

James Bond however was always a White guy and changing him to a Black guy would be purely for political correctness. Heck there was even some controversy that since Daniel Craig did not have dark hair and wasn't Scottish meaning he wasn't really James Bond material.

Personally I liked Daniel Craig's portrayal of James Bond even though Pierce Brosnan was better. Never had the chance to see Sean Connery's portrayal but I've heard his is the best.

Stick to canon, there's nothing racist about it.

Nah if we had Idris Elba play Heimdall, a norse God, Thor's brother can be an African king.

It would still be very confusing since the guys are identical twins.
      Best to get a more suitable actor.

• This makes a great point of reverse discrimination.

• That doesn't make sense since the Black Panther the person he is under the suit/mask is the king of Africa, doesn't make sense that a white person would be the king of a black nation/continent lol.

Idris Elba played Heimdall in THOR. Marvel had an African man play a WHITE GOD. So Marvel should be fine having a white guy play a black king.

You mean Heimdall? well his race is not set in stone seeing how he's a minor character in the movies and even in the comics. He's not tied to any race.

Also Black Panther is a major character and is the leader of an entire nation of black people and belongs to a royal line of black kings. And it's already cannon fact that the black panther's father is black meaning if the Black Panther was white he would have no legitimate claim to the throne much like Loki doesn't have legitimate claim to Asgard because they'd both be adopted.

Since a white prince clearly would not be the natural born son of a black African king it would screw with everything. and then you'd have to find a new person to play Thor because Hemsworth can not play both characters especially if they're in the same movie.

Use your head man.

• Seriously, You are complaining about Idris Elba possibly playing James Bond.
    James Bond is Canonically born and raised in Scotland and works for British Intelligence, Yet I hear no one complaining that Pierce Brosnan is Irish.
    Idris Elba is a damn good actor and is just fucking awesome.
    Add to that There are canon Spider-man's who are black or latino so..

Seriously, Tell me which makes more sense casting wise,
      A black man being an intelligence agent in the U. K where you know they do have plenty of black people, or an Irishman playing a British Intelligence agent at a time when the IRA existed

@Phoenix98 Another good point though Idris Elba doesn't need to fake a British accent considering he is British but people go bananas yet no one sees the irony of an Irishman playing British intelligence when the IRA was stilling fighting.

Well except for the fact that Peirce has a great British Accent (even if it's fake) and was one of the best James Bonds at least modern ones.

And well it wouldn't be that Ironic since at the time they all are part of the UK and it wouldn't be uncommon for Irishmen to be in England. Just like it Scotsmen were in Ireland or Englishmen were in Scotland lol.

• Do you even hear what you are saying? T'challa is an African KING. How in the world will a white person play that role. It will be racist if Liam did play that role. I can understand if you were talking about any other Marvel character but no you aren't. Wakanda is a predominately African kingdom. So please explain how Liam would be a great replacement for the guy they have now.

Yeah but black Heimdall is OK? We are talking about norse god (remember those tall guys with blonde hair?).

@Curlybeauty17 okay fair enough lol, I did not think of that

Thanks. Thanks for an interesting conversation.

• But James Bond the character is white?

I'm not even being racist when I say that?

He is and will always be white?

Maybe Hollywood should stop being racist, and create a new spy that's black, Asian, or fucking brown?

Instead of changing a character that is already portrayed as a white person?

• I think Obama would play a good black panther.

www.snopes.com/.../image1.jpg

• Liam is perfect as Thor as it is already
    Chadwick Bozeman who I had know casting in Lincoln Heights ABC is the perfect fit for Black panther. Man I love that dude and I'm not Gay. Followed by Micheal B Jordan and that's an all star casts for the upcoming black other movie

We are expecting greeting things come Infiniti wars with Black panther.

• Eveyrthing is racist now these days fucking pisses me off.

• You people care for silly things

Only in the West can we get into a heated debate about the race of an actor.
      It's ridiculous there are bigger things to worry about.

@QuestionMan yes I mean any freaking actor just act

I'd understand if he was a purist and was worried about the canon but this question is based solely on the White race.

• I dont watch super hero movies.

• I could give less than a shit about superheroes in general.

• So, clearly you're salty. There are BLACK people in Britian that could fill the void of any James Bond character.

Stay mad.

• It only works one way. The comics bombed bigger than hell when they tried to reinvent them as black.

• Still butt hurt about Heimdall? Or Miles Morales? Or the new Iron Man?

The only racist around here, is the one making bizarre questions to try and illustrate his bigotry.

• You don't care about the characters as long as their white do you? If you care about a characters looks and how they should stick to the source material why don't you complain about Daniel Craig having blue eyes and blond hair when James Bond is supposed to have dark eyes and dark hair. You complain how idris Elba is playing a god in Thor, but you don't complain about how Thor is supposed to have a big red beard but in the movie he has blond hair. You complain about black actors playing white characters but don't care when it's the other way around. You didn't talk about gods of Egypt being played by white people or Othello way played by a white guy. Just admit that you only want white characters and that you're a hypocrite.

1. I though Craig was an great Bond in casino royale and decent in quantum. Spectre was ok. 2. i thought Gods of Egypt sucked. 3. I actually have red in my beard ironically.4. Why are you not addressing the issue?

I don't see what the issue is you're making it a problem, you're saying that if the actors are black that they aren't true to the characters but you are you only complaining about race. I'm saying that the actors we have now aren't true to the characters. But you don't complain about that you only cry about the white ones that are changed not black. You're talking like black characters aren't replaced by white people like it doesn't go both ways you're pretending to be a victim in a problem that's not there. Why can't there be a black God marvel is its own separate universe meaning it has its own rules no problem. And about black panther he can't be white there are many story lines that talk about race and him as a black man like when he had a white girlfriend and he was told his kingdom wouldn't accept it and how he was bullied by blacks for being a race traitor for having a white girlfriend. that wouldn't work with a white character.

• I will simply not spend my money supporting such movies any more.

• They should stay true to the comics

1.bp.blogspot.com/.../...er-and-fantastic-four.jpg

What has this got to do with racial discrimination? Would you have a MAN play a WOMAN in a romantic movie?

• NO. Black people can portray white characters, but white people cannot portray black characters. That is racist and wrong.

Gods of Egypt. Y'all do all the time. Emma Watson was casted as an Asian woman for a movie. Stfu

@Theblackhokage23 She's playing an Asian woman? That's freakin' racist!

• fuck that guy.