Is poetry a dying art form?

What's your thought about it?

Is poetry a dying art form?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• As a graduate from and English lit program, i would say yes for two reasons.
    1. Older forms of classical poetry are heavily metered and structured in a way that is no longer culturally satisfying. Freedom is our obsession and expression or storytelling that is restrictive is no longer satisfying. Rhyme is only slightly still relevant, but usually only so to juvenile poetry tastes.

2. I personally find modern/contemporary poetry to b a joke. Its usually rambling, or ten words in the centre of a page. There are writers and editors out there with prestige but really no talent, thinking they r REVOLUTIONARY. If the average persons heart doesn't soar from reading it then ur not fufilling the purpose of art in my opinion which is to beautifully express any aspect of the human condition. Unfortunately poetry is in the hands of university professors who have long ago lost touch with reality and really only cling to their degrees to feel better than others because they are insecure

Probably one of the reasons poetry is not that popular is because as you said many poets has prestige but no talent, and if we ad the fact that a lot of people in today's society would rather fallow a pretty face poet with no talent than an ugly poet with great talent I guest poetry is somehow doomed, but well I think the main reason why poetry isn't that popular anymore is because contemporary poetry isn't getting in touch whit the everyday life of people of this period of time, which makes many reject at the end of the day something they don't feel identify with.

Thanks for the MH!!

You are welcome :)

What Girls Said 8

• Oh definitely. It seems as though people usually make fun of poetry more than honestly make it. Like those poetry slam nights - ridiculous. it's for hipsters now - where they invent stupid rhymes...

• It's sad if it is , because i love poetry

• Yes you don't see any poems as good as Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken" anymore.

What makes Robert Frost's poems better than contemporaneous poems you have read?

Robert frosts poems are brilliant. They capture the world in less words than prose and are beautiful to say. Modern poetry is like modern art. Garbage. They aren't beautiful and they don't do what frost or any other poet did.

• Poetry is the most beautiful art. It's the spirit who doesn't have a voice and go us through the hand straight up in the paper. Most things poetry isn't art bcs they don't feel poetry like poets do. But if you felt it then youd change your mind

• I don't think poetry is dying. Maybe different types of poetry are popular now, but they're still beautiful.

What types of poems do you like? : )

I like hymns, quality rap, slam poetry, traditional poems.. different types.

• Never was art in my opinion. Too simplistic.

• never thought of it as art. almost never read it

Nope it's an art the 3 main art forms that all other art forms stem from are the following.

Literature
      Painting
      Music

Also known as the arts.

poetry and painting are strongly connected to each other. Paint is silent poetry and poetry is painting that speaks. Then poetry is related to music also
      In fact these 3 are the most important arts. Art is producing. Poetry is producing

@Triss
      yup it's true, it's why they're known as the arts, because they are the 3 main supreme forms of art.

• I write poetry.
    Not intentionally though. It all comes out of emotion for me..

It's a good therapy.

Don't pay him attention, just do what motivates you to go forward. :)

Thanks :) <3

What Guys Said 9

• No I don't think it is I am a poet and I belong to the largest poetry community in the world we have like half a million poets on there I've even brought several onto the site. A website called AllPoetry. And we're very much alive a lot of us even have books or published poems. We keep the old poets alive to.

It's true though a lot of people make fun or us or ignore us now a days but you'd also be surprised how many people are actually poets in the shadows, without a soul knowing who or what they really do. But we are past our golden age, I'll quote Greg Bear when I say
    “Once, poets were magicians. Poets were strong, stronger than warriors or kings — stronger than old hapless gods. And they will be strong once again.”

Besides
    “Poets are the sense, philosophers­­ the intelligence­­ of humanity.”
    ― Samuel Beckett

And we have a job to do
    “The poet's job is to put into words those feelings we all have that are so deep, so important, and yet so difficult to name, to tell the truth in such a beautiful way, that people cannot live without it.”
    ― Jane Kenyon

And our work is important
    “A poet's work. . . to name the unnamable, to point at frauds, to take sides, start arguments, shape the world and stop it from going to sleep.”
    ― Salman Rushdie

And us ourselves? immortal because long after we're are gone our words shall remain and within them us forever immortalized in ink.

I doubt most people even truly know what poetry is in today's world

Poetry is an echo asking a shadow to dance
    within a realm of infinite possibilities.
    A world that does not abide by our worlds natural order,
    laws or physics.
    A place that is only as limited as the poet themselves,
    for poetry is experience written from the soul
    on the parchment that is life
    and only upon death shall the story be finished

Phoenix aka me.

We are artists. Poetry is the voice of spirit
      They don't consider it as an art bcs they don't feel it like we do

Yea agreed now

• Couldn't say but what little modern poetry I have heard has quite honestly sucked. It was "free form" it didn't really feel like poetry so much as talking. though some spoken word is good I personally never could get to into poetry despite wanting to simply because its always emotional, usually the same emotions in every poem. I would rather see a cerebral poem something that makes you think rather then another rehashed "love" poem or sex poem that has been done by so many others. But perhaps I am picky, so for me I don't usually notice poetry unless its actually different then the rest but I would say no its not dying probably just less mainstream (again from my personal perspective most likely because it got to casual in form or the themes are just repeated over and over again) but then spoken word, if you can count that as poetry seems to do well enough.

• Poetry will always be there - Song lyrics and raps are a form of poetry

And looking at music today it isn't that great lol.

@Phoenix98 I am optimist if there is a million songs, there has to be a good one somewhere surely, hopefully okay then 10 million songs.

You'd think so except most artists now a days have all their songs written by 3-4 companies all owned by the same people, that's why they sound all the same or similar. The songs are also getting dumber and dumber.

Give me an old song any day, there are a few bands and artists who still write their own lyrics and songs though that are actually good.

• I used to write some but I gave it up. So in my mind it's dead already.

• This generation is simply not rhst literate enough i guess.

• The amount of "poets" I know suggests otherwise. True they're all people that failed education and blame "the man" for it, but still.

• nopee

• I don't think so. I interact with poems all the time in speech and drama eisteddfods and such.

Do you think poetry hasn't change or for you it is evolving?

It's true but generally speaking from 1 to 10 how much do you think poetry has change? Been 1 the lowest score and 10 the highest.

I don't know. 2?

• It's never been super popular.

It had a golden age.

i'll take your word for it. i've never paid attention to it.