Without looking it up, How many of you know who Robert E. Howard is (if you don't look him up after you vote.)?

You are probably Familiar with at least one of his Characters, You are DEFINITELY familiar with the Genre he Created as its one of the most popular literary genres today.
He'd could very well be called the most influential 20th century author you've never heard of.

• I do
  • I do not

Most Helpful Girl

• I have never heard of him. It sounds like he needs more recognition

Yep, He Created Conan the Barbarian back in 1932 whereas the hobbit was first published in 1937
      He created the Heroic Fantasy and Swords and Sorcery Genres.
      The cthulhu mythos was created by him and lovecraft referencing each others creations in their own stories.

But you find tons of people who've seen the movies, or even read the comics, and pretty much everyone knows the fantasy genre, but as you can see from the polls the man who created it has been mostly forgotten.
      He died at thirty from a self inflicted gunshot wound which might be why he is so obscure

Actually, Tolkien started working on his stories that became The Silmarillion as early as 1914.

Most Helpful Guy

• He was more of a pulp fiction writer he did write a few good Novels... Conan, and was also featured in the pulp mag Weird Tales... Their were many of those mag in there days Amazing Stories, Fate Magazine, later on Analog Magazine,, not many anymore.. I even miss Omni Magazine...

With Conan he ended up Creating a the Swords and Sorcery Genre and the Heroic Fantasy Genre.
      Also the Pigeons from hell is one of the Scariest things I've ever read

If you miss them, try searching for a reading of them on youtube.
      You'll get a bunch of hits for Conan and Solomon Kane

@masterofyou
      If you miss the pulps there is a bit of a revival of those types of stories,
      Right now I'm reading the Gabriel Hunt Series,
      Its a Genre Throwback like Indiana Jones or the Mummy
      They are like 3 bucks on kindle a piece, (Their harder to find in print but they are out there.) but its the same kind of set up.
      www.amazon.com/.../ref=dp-kindle-redirect

What Girls Said 20

• I had no clue. I don't find any of that genre interesting. I have read some Gothic novels from the 16th century that are said to be the first of the fantasy genre. I would agree with others who have said that the genre was around a lot earlier than since the 1920s.

Ill pencil him onto my list of people to read. Maybe his stuff is easier to get through than Tolkien.

• nope I don't know anything

His creation, Conan the Barbarian was the First piece of Swords and Sorcery ever written
      Robert E. Howard not Tolkien Created the Genre

• I've never heard of him.

He created Conan the Barbarian and it was the VERY first Swords and Sorcery and Heroic Fantasy series created.
      It wasn't tolkien who created the Fantasy Genre it was Robert E. Howard

Also the Cthulhu mythos exists because of he and Lovecraft referencing each others creations in stories,
      He also wrote Solomon Kane, and created what is arguably the scariest horror story of the 20th century The Pigeons from hell (Stephen King said so in his book Danse Macabre and I actually can see the logic)

That's pretty cool!

• Thank you for showing this Master Something She didn't Know, @Waffles731 xx

• I think I've heard of had m before, I don't know what he did though

• I dunno-short story horror but not Poe like... surrealism... realistic surrealism?

Nope, He Created the Fantasy Genre,
      Conan the Barbarian is his most famous character and came out in 1932 whereas the hobbit came out in 1937 and wasn't really published in any large numbers till after ww2

All hail him :) fantasy is amazing. I'm a huge Game of Thrones nerd, and am on the last book of my "re-read GoT summer" :) What are your favorite fantasy books?

• I have no clue

• I can't say I do.

Ever read, seen, or played anything heroic fantasy/swords and sorcery, or are you an Arnold Schwarzenegger fan

He Created Conan the Barbarian (And a whole lot of other things and had a hand in the cthulhu mythos)
      He created the swords and sorcery Genre

Huh, gotcha. You learn something new every day.

• No I dont. Never watched conan the barbarian

• I don't know who he is. But I'm going to look up for the answer.

Well, I found out that I've heard about one of his characters, "Conan the Barbarian". But I don't know much about him or this character.

Conan the Barbarian was the First piece of Swords and Sorcery ever written

That's interesting. Thank you :)

• No clue who that is and never heard of his books.

• Can't say that I do.

He created the swords and sorcery genre with Conan the Barbarian

Who is actually a very smart, brooding, and somewhat Philisophical hero in the books

I have heard of Conan the Barbarian

• Nope.

• I actually don't

• i'm afraid i've never heard of the man of whom you speak

• Never heard of him. I googled him after voting: Conan the barbarian is the only character I've heard from him - and not even that I liked. I don't feel bad for not knowing of him.

Do you like Fantasy,
      Conan Created the Genre

Fahrenheit 451 was first published in FUCKING PLAYBOY MAGAZINE

But pulp and fantasy aren't the same thing...
      So that's why I don't feel bad not knowing him - since I'm utterly disinterested in pulp fiction...
      Because pulp fiction is the intro to science fiction. Something I'm even more disinterested in.

• No I have never heard or him before

• I have no clue

• I have never heard of him

• Looked him up after voting -not super keen on any of his works tbh.

He Created the Fantasy Genre five years before the Hobbit,
      No denying his influence

that's cool, definitely very influential.

What Guys Said 27

• Lol I actually have a quote of Robert E Howard's on my page

“ MUSINGS

The little poets sing of little things:
    Hope, cheer, and faith, small queens and puppet kings;
    Lovers who kissed and then were made as one,
    And modest flowers waving in the sun.

The mighty poets write in blood and tears
    And agony that, flame-like, bites and sears.
    They reach their mad blind hands into the night,
    To plumb abysses dead to human sight;
    To drag from gulfs where lunacy lies curled,
    Mad, monstrous nightmare shapes to blast the world.
    ― Robert E. Howard

he was an American author who wrote pulp fiction in a diverse range of genres and also created Connan the Barbarian.

• Robert E. Howard was definitely one of the greatest fantasy writers of all times: Conan, Red Sonja, Kull Of Atlantis, Bran Mak Morn and many other fantastic characters... Howard was really a genius, Sword & Sorcery is my favorite sub-genre of Fantasy.

• 0|1
  • I did google the name and I do not read anything in that genre.

• I'm of an older generation so yeah I know him and the other classic authors like Lovecraft, Stapledon, Moorcock, Edgar Rice Burroghs, H. G. Wells, Matheson, guys who probably will disappear into oblivion in this generation or the next.

• I HAVE heard of him... but the where and why has slipped my mind. So I will be honest and vote that I don't.

• It is annoying me, I know I have heard the name but I just can't place it literally tip of my brain, can I look it up now I actually think it was "Weird Tales" I had heard of rather than Conan.

• Yes, and yes, his character and the universe it takes place in are hugely influential. I'd love to try the MMO of I had more free time

• He's the creator of Conan. He comitted suicide when his mother died. He wore a sombrero from time to time. He was an amateur boxer. He practiced swordsmanship. He lived in Texas. He maintained a correspondence with H. P. Lovecraft, though the two never met.

I knew this from the sourcebook of a role playing game (I was a gamer). There's also a pretty good movie staring Vincent Denofrio and Renew Zellweger called The Whole Wide World. It's based on the memoirs of Novaline Price, Howard's sort of girlfriend, called He Walked Alone. The relationship portrayed in the movie reminds me of my friend and his ex-wife.

Here's a clip:
    https://youtu.be/T2MwAy6njlM

• nope, no fucking clue.

looked it up and only know 1-2 things by name... but never seen or read any of those

He Created the Swords and Sorcery Genre and Heroic Fantasy Genres

I like those for games but I really don't watch or read anything in that genre

• Author of Conan Soloman Kane

*and Soloman Kane

And Creator of the Swords and Sorcery Genre

My older brothers were way into it, led to their fascination with Warcraft, etc. I read some of his stuff because it was around the house. Not my thing but it wasn't boring. Liked Kane better than Conan but Conan is more appealing as an action hero

• Nnnope :(

• Howard created Fantasy akin to JRR Tolkien. He is the true grandfather of the genre.

exactly.

Again, like Matheson. Everyone knows what zombies are, what it means to be undead, and the concept of a postapocalyptic world, yet no one knows who Matheson is or that he actually created the genre. He singlehandedly isolated vampirism from the supernatural, creating zombies.

Have you Read the Pigeons from Hell.
      I just read it yesterday, after hearing that Stephen King called it one of the Scariest Stories of the 20th century in Danse Macabre.
      Its by Robert E. Howard

• No clue who he is :(.

• Was he one of the preisdents?

• No idea

• No i dont know him.

• Good question. I have no idea.

• Never heard of him.

• Heard the name before, didn't recognize it until I read through the comments.

• Ritchie Cunnigham's older brother from another mother?

• I didn't know who he was. I'm familiar with some of his work but I don't read that genre. Cool to know, though.

• The writer of Conan the barbarian.

Yep,
      And Solomon Kane,
      And the Pigeons from Hell aka the Scariest horror story of the 20th century according to Stephen King

Vincent D'Onofrio played him in the biography movie, And he is credited as the creator in the Conan comic books and movies.

• No idea, honestly... I suppose an actor since you're talking about "his characters"?

• Nope

• Conan novels.

• I do not