Should I try to publish my short story before I post it on the forum?

Long story short: I wrote a novelette that I was planning on posting on a forum I usually go to. This is not a writing forum. However, the more I wrote the story the more I got into it and on accident I stumbled across a publisher that only publishes novelettes. I still want to share it with the forum, but should I send it to this publisher first and see what happens?

Most Helpful Guy

• Posting it on the forum first might get you some worthwhile feedback before you send it out.

If you're going to send any work to a publisher, it had better be spit-polished and ready to go... the biggest mistake young writers make is to send unpolished work to agents and publishers.

Good point, also I had forum members requesting I add stories so I wrote the story initially for them

What? Nah, don't worry about that. The only way it counts as previously published is if another entity holds the publishing rights. In other words, if a literary magazine published a story of yours, this would mean that for another publication to run it, they'd have to get the permission of the publication that originally ran it.

I doubt posting on forums matters, as you're still the one posting it and there are no rights being granted, conferred, etc.

ok I plan on editing it 3 times, once before I post it on the forum and twice before I send it to a publisher because the short version is for my forum readers since they actually requested it from me

Most Helpful Girl

• Send it to the publisher first as my work has been stolen b4.

omg did you ever find the person that stole it? Who stole it? was it on a forum too?

Up to you, just be careful.

I just got some bad news today I just asked one of the forum leaders if I could post a link instead of copy and pasting my story, they told me that I can't do that. Which sucks because the link to the story prevents people from copy and pasting, and printing it.

They told me that I have to paste the story into the section instead. This will leave it open to people who might want to copy it even if I send it to a publisher first. I am seriously thinking of not posting it on that forum because I am not sure if I am willing to take that risk

What Guys Said 2

• Would be great if you could get it published. I say try to get it published. If you post it on a writing forum a few people will see it, but your potential audience is larger if you get it published. If you think it's ready, publish it

• Sure go for it!

What Girls Said 0