Should I try to publish my short story before I post it on the forum?

Long story short: I wrote a novelette that I was planning on posting on a forum I usually go to. This is not a writing forum. However, the more I wrote the story the more I got into it and on accident I stumbled across a publisher that only publishes novelettes. I still want to share it with the forum, but should I send it to this publisher first and see what happens?

0|0
1|3

Most Helpful Guy

• Posting it on the forum first might get you some worthwhile feedback before you send it out.

If you're going to send any work to a publisher, it had better be spit-polished and ready to go... the biggest mistake young writers make is to send unpolished work to agents and publishers.

0|0
    0|0
    • 2mo

Good point, also I had forum members requesting I add stories so I wrote the story initially for them

• Show All
    • 2mo

What? Nah, don't worry about that. The only way it counts as previously published is if another entity holds the publishing rights. In other words, if a literary magazine published a story of yours, this would mean that for another publication to run it, they'd have to get the permission of the publication that originally ran it.

I doubt posting on forums matters, as you're still the one posting it and there are no rights being granted, conferred, etc.

• 2mo

ok I plan on editing it 3 times, once before I post it on the forum and twice before I send it to a publisher because the short version is for my forum readers since they actually requested it from me

Most Helpful Girl

• Send it to the publisher first as my work has been stolen b4.

0|0
    0|0
    • 2mo

omg did you ever find the person that stole it? Who stole it? was it on a forum too?

• Show All
    • 2mo

Up to you, just be careful.

• 2mo

I just got some bad news today I just asked one of the forum leaders if I could post a link instead of copy and pasting my story, they told me that I can't do that. Which sucks because the link to the story prevents people from copy and pasting, and printing it.

They told me that I have to paste the story into the section instead. This will leave it open to people who might want to copy it even if I send it to a publisher first. I am seriously thinking of not posting it on that forum because I am not sure if I am willing to take that risk

What Guys Said 2

• Would be great if you could get it published. I say try to get it published. If you post it on a writing forum a few people will see it, but your potential audience is larger if you get it published. If you think it's ready, publish it

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure go for it!

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion!