Calling all comic book fans! Can someone tell me what all the hype about Harely Quinn is?

Before you asnwer and accuse me of blasphemy:

1) Huge DC comics fan
2) Huge fan of Batman TAS-never understood the hype
3) Played all the Arkham games-never understood the hype
4) If Harely Quinn is the only selling point of the new Suicide Squad movie it makes me feel "meh" about it

Conclusion: because Harely Quinn has been flooded and present in a lot of Batman lore, we can apply the most basic rule of encono mics to her and conclude that the more present she is in everything, the less value she has. MY OPINION

Hell, I wanted a break from Bats and see a new superman series launch, but nooooooo, WB just had to put them in a mediocre fight scene

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not particularly a DC fan, Harley is really the only character I actively attempt to keep up with :P I like her development. I like that she's this batshit character with a soft spot inside, like how she's soft towards animals and how she's sympathetic towards pregnant women (like how she refuses to fight Black Canary when she realises she's pregnant and instead sits down and has a heart to heart and talks about her own daughter and how much she loves her) and how she might be super damaged but she knows now that the Joker is no good for her. She was abused but she grew stronger and she left the Joker behind, beaten to a pulp in a jail cell because she knew that she deserved better.

I think that she's probably a character that female readers identify more with than the male readers because of the femininity that shines through and the times where she's very kind hearted and we feel sympathetic to her. Harley's development definitely is a lot about her growing as a woman which I think is one of the reasons I like her so much.

Most Helpful Guy

• She's like an EVIL manic pixie dream girl. Catwoman is just... Kinda boring. Harley has all the one liners, the amazing voice work of Arleen Sorkin, and can kick butt in a fight when she needs to. Just like Katpiss Neverclean/KaTris "Richard" Prior/Bella gave girls someone to identify with (an average girl who doesn't think she fits in and lusts after a mysterious older dude), Harley has tapped into the sense of mischief.

I think she's been diluted as a result of all those Facebook memes but you can never deny the greatness of the Harley's Holiday episode, nor the kazoo solo (which Sorkin improvised):

https://youtu.be/0Y2BxyOyH3Q

What Girls Said 6

• I personally think her character is meh. The only interesting part was her relationship with the Joker but Suicide Squad fucked that up by making it actually seem romantic.

• New fans of hers suck. Some of us have been around way way way before this movie came out! Harley is fucking great though I prefer her with Ivy.

I guess that's what ruined her for me then haha

Haha I loved in the Animated Series when she left Joker for the first (?) time and met Poison Ivy for the first time, and lived with her in that abandoned house near a toxic dump. Seeing the domestic lives of Batman's villains --- like sitting around eating in the kitchen and talking about their lives --- was so weird, but funny and cool. xD

@PT1911 same! Halloween is gonna be a nightmare this year lol. I did like Margot Robbie a lot, don't get me wrong but these new fans are annoying af.

@nfigure I loved that! Ivy taught her so much and she grew so much as a character and wasn't just the Jokers sidekick, she really got fleshed out so much more. I love the animated series.

• I don't know, but I'm sure many people hasn't read her outgoing solo series.
    One cannot call oneself a Harley Quinn fan if one hasn't read her comics.

• Are you sure that you are a DC comic fan? Lol
    Because Harley Quinn has been popular long before suicide squad

Yeah I know.

I just never saw the obession with her.

She was created for Batman TAS, and I guess it was a huge hit for people, not for me hahah

I love TAS

• the thing with harley is that she is a troll... she love trolling.. and the youngsters of today are in love with trolling.. thats why they like her... nothing more.

• Have you read her series which began after the new 52?

What Guys Said 17

• She can be amusing however I don't think she is the selling point (at least for me) for suicide squad, I wanted to see it just because its an interesting premise and of course deadshot is awesome (when done right). As for batman I'm pretty played out with him as well, to much he is in everything and their are way more interesting characters out their. Personally I would rather see them do a different hero all together then batman or superman, like green arrow or (the new) blue beetle or something.

• She's a crazy hot chick that has a fun, quirky personality. That should get most any heterosexual, comic book nerd with a pulse going. The hype comes from that and many girl readers like her style as well.

Harley is in a lot of productions because people want to see her. She's a well-liked character with an interesting backstory.

But you're right, Suicide Squad is the definition of "meh", but that has less to do with Harley but the lackluster script it had. The acting was decent from what I've heard.

• They sexualized her in recent iterations to the point of becoming kind of a fetish. Now that they chose Margot Robbie (who is already a smoke show.. just damn) to play her, they combined the newly formed fetish and a good actress that is the new hot thing right now. People were not looking at her with deep curiosity. They essentially had sex goggles on. That's why you see all these memes that say, "get you a girl that can do both" with her in the picture.

The extra hype around her also has a lot to do with the sexualization of joker as well. Their relationship is being viewed as, "your crazy matches my crazy" vs the original depiction which was an abusive Stockholm syndrome relationship where he didn't give a fuck about her. Only way she can be viewed as more than a girl staying in an abusive relationship is by changing what the relationship looks like to the people. As well as makinh the joker "sexy".

• I don't get it either. To me she's just another looney toon that has found her way out of WB cartoons and in to DC.

• She's everything that women SHOULD be but aren't.

*attractive, weighs what she should
    *interesting personality
    *not a cunt
    *identity outside of shopping, TV, and her friends
    *absolutely loyal

With real women, you have any ONE of those things.

• The hype is the most simple of concepts: she is sexy as hell. A bad girl who is half naked and does/says whatever is on her mind. Men can't resist the charm of such a girl and so that's why we want to see her in a movie.
    That being said: Suicide Squad was overhyped and the only reason I saw it was because of the impossibly sexy Harley Quinn.

• No more bats! No more bats! No more bats!

• Girls like to be crazy (and no that's not sexist because guys like to as well)
    So they show their urge to be crazy through that character (the way a lot of guys did through the joker)

• I just thought margot robbie did a stand up job as harley Quinn. Carried the movie actually. Next to El Diablo.

• Fan service. That is all

• No idea, because you could erase her from the DC universe and it will do fine. Just like they should erase Trump and Hillary supporters

• It's the sex appeal

• Sex sells

• She's cute, sexy, alluring, and a tough chick !

• Three words: fap fap fap

Not trolling, there's just nothing more too it than that.

• she's a female version of the joker that fanboys can jack off to.

• There is a huge fetish out there for super, crazy bitch...