What is the thing that makes the book good to you?

Most Helpful Guy

• We can all tell you what makes book good, but that doesn't really tell you anything. What you really want to know is what makes a book bad.

The story line should be internally consistent. If magic works a certain way, or a detective uses some procedures, then magic should continue to work that way and the detective should continue to use those procedures or pay a price for violating them.

It's sometimes fun, as with the Hulk, to have a hero that basically just gets stronger whenever he needs to, but most stories have more believable heroes. Everyone has limits, and we can occasionally transcend them, but most of the time we succeed by working with what we have.

The characters should be somewhat realistic, but not too realistic. By that I mean, in our own lives random events just take place, and we ignore them because so much is going on. A story should flow, and avoid the realism of having random but unrelated events happening.

The characters should be realistic. Sargon, from the Lord of the Rings, was the embodiment of evil, as was Lord Sidious from Star Wars, so obviously, there's a place for unrealistic, one-dimensional characters, but most stories depend on people being people. It's rare that people are solely evil. As much as I loathe and detest Hitler, he loved animals and his girlfriend, and *in his own mind* (only) he was a hero, saving the only *true* human race.

Most Helpful Girl

• Good moral lessons, doesn't follow trend, doesn't promote indecency; or something like that; such as emotional cheating, drugs etc

What Guys Said 6

• I like books that are well dramatized and come as close to real live as possible.
    My favourite book was Apollo 13.

• Characters that you can care for.

• An indepth story and details, but not overly detailed, a fine line between great detail and too much detail

• Character development with some history thrown in. A thousand splendid suns, for example, blew my pants off.

• The story and the writing

• Depends on the book but in fictitious works I'm usually attracted by the setting.

What Girls Said 4

• The story line.

• Being able to connect with the characters.

• If it gets me emotional, or thinking about my own life (choices)

• If it's well written and descriptive.