For those who are PC gaming experts, is a 6th Gen Intel Core i5-6200U Processor a good enough CPU for my laptop to last up to 2017-2018?

I'm just wondering since I just recently purchased a very cheap gaming laptop (that's good for modern PC gaming) and it has an Intel Core i5 CPU, 8GB DDR3L SDRAM and 1TB HDD. This laptop is also upgradable (luckily) and I already plan on upgrading my RAM to a higher amount.

• Yes
  • No
  • Depends.
  • Others

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends what you plan on playing and at what settings. For most new AAA games, say at medium settings you will be A OK and should even be fine into 2018 or even 2019, again depending on the games and settings you play/use.

If you play less demanding games, or older games you will certainly be fine.

What Girls Said 1

• It's good enough depending on what kind of games you're playing. But what matters more is what GPU you have.

What Guys Said 2

• why ask people this AFTER they buy it lol. Just from your 3 lines of text I can see that you don't really know what is important. you should inform you before spending money.

the i5-6200U is a ULV (ultra low voltage) processor... so compared to a "real" Core i5 which you can find in desktop PCs. it's much slower. Lower clock speed, lower IPC and only 2 instead of 4 cores.

Nowadays there are many games which require you to have 4 threads... the good thing is, it doesn't necessarily have to be 4 real cores. Your CPU has SMT, which means it has for every real core also a fake one, so the CPU has 4 threads. The CPU is definitely isn't a gaming CPU, but most games don't need a super strong CPU anymore so it should run most games fine for the next 1-2 years.

Which is much more important is your graphics card... and you said nothing about that. If you have no dedicated graphics card, then the laptop will suck for games. The integrated one from the CPU is good enough for office and videos, but for games... no. Most bigger games will run shit or just with lower details. Older games or smaller indie games will run okay however. But don't expect to run Battlefield 1 with 64 players very well.

Your RAM is upgradable like on most laptops, but it has already 8GB which is enough. You don't need more and more RAM won't run your games faster. Don't waste money on that.

given that it's a modern processor, it will likely have at least have a somewhat modern integrated graphics chip which should at least get 30fps on low settings for newish games. Back in 2011 I had a laptop with a 2nd gen i5 and intel hd3000 and I was able to play a lot of modern games at 30-40fps lmao.

Don't worry I don't play these games at 30fps lmao. Although my computer isn't super high end, it can handle most games that I play at 1440p and still get 60fps. Granted, I am not playing Battlefield 1 or Witcher 3. I mainly play Dark Souls games and an obscure online fps called Hawken.

Basically this lol

• Yeah should be good enough as long as you don't plan on running the vive on it :P

I just want it to last enough for me to save money later in the future for newer, more powerful processors in the future. As long as this one I currently have in my gaming laptop can play my favorite games such as The Orange Box (Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal 2 bundled together) good with no framerate issues (for it to the point where it becomes unplayable). I could care less for Vive at the moment since it's too expensive for me, when I can just get a PlayStation VR next month for my PS4 for much cheaper, lol.

Yeah it should be fine for that stuff. Portal 2 plays fine on my laptop and I only have an i3 and 4GB ram (and no graphics card).
      The playstation VR doesn't compare with the vive though. The vive is by far the best virtual reality experience that's been created. I tried it some months ago, it changed my life :P

Uh well those valve games are far from modern and most computers that come out (even low end) have no problem maxing out the settings on them lol. The thing about source engine is that it is CPU intensive, above all else.