Would you read Shakespeare voluntarily?

We did learn it at school (Julius Caesar and Macbeth) and most people found it really boring.

I actually find Shakespeare really interesting, I once got hold of a huge fat book with all of his plays and read my way through a bunch. Anyone else like that, or am I truly unique? :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Shakespeare wrote plays! They are meant to be performed by skilled actors, not sat down and read.

This is the huge problem with teaching it in schools, it is not something that was ever intended to be read like a book. Watch a live performance or a movie version and you will see the story come to life.

Most Helpful Girl

• I did the lighting and sound for a play called 'The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)'

So yes, I have willingly read his work and would again, depending on the format.

To be or not to be, that is the question.
      Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of opposing, and end them.
      To sleep, to dream, or just to take a nap, because you've got to make guacamole for twelve and you just, can't handle, the pressure, of this speech!! DX

XD
      XD

I loved doing that show!

Hm. I seem to remember the lines as:

To be or not to be, that is the question. Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing, end them.

I wonder which of our versions is correct. Can't be bothered googling :)

Ooh yours sounds more correct.

I may have to adjust my memorisation of that speech.

What Guys Said 11

• Julius Caesar boring? Hear Marc Antony's speech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bi1PvXCbr8

• Yes his works can be very interesting - It is a taste of preference but when you think about his stuff and the amount he produced, it is amazing.

• God no unless I needed to lookup something like the phrase "star-crossed lovers".

• Well , yes... Why not? I want to read Skinners books about behavioralism (sadly cannot get them in my country), so you could say that's a bit more boring than Shakespeare...

• Don't enjoy reading it very much, preforming it yes! so fun.

• Not really.

• Pffft.. No.

• Hell naw

• Hell no.

• Noooo hearing famous authors like that gives me headaches😑😑i can't

• then perhaps you're not very smart.

What Girls Said 6

• "To be or not to Be" was never a Question for me, @justkiddinaround... I never Cared for Shakespeare, dear.
    As Smart as I am and as Good a Writer and Playwright that I am, I never was Into Reading Him, but did Very well in English Class when Asked to Do his "Hamlet."
    However, I do love The Theme from "Romeo and Juliet" when it is Sung by Anyone.
    Good luck and Great for you. xx

• I would and did...
    He has interesting points to his works, but I'm not the hugest fan of his overall...

• I definitely wouldn't. The language is too difficult to understand for me

• No lol

• I love shakespeare.

• Um no. That shit was boring af