What is your favourite quote and why?

Mine isWhat is your favourite quote and why?

Most Helpful Guy

• I have many. "Most men can withstand adversity, if you wish to know the true measure of a man's character, give him power."
    "You can run from whats behind you but never from whats inside of you"(Rwandan proverb (or so I hear))
    "He who fires the arrow of truth best have one foot in the stirrup"(Turkish proverb)
    "He who looks for faultless friends remains friendless"(Chinese proverb)
    "Life does not stop being funny when its at its most serious any more then it stops being serious at its most funny"(George Bernard Shaw)

As for why, well I think the first one is quite true, its only when you put a person into a position that he can get away with something or that he can act as he wishes that you see whether or not he is a good person. When a person who is poor demands that others help the poor doesn't really mean anything to me, but if a rich person goes and helps the poor well that says a lot because he only loses money and time in that endevour while the poor man would only gain. Kind of like the millionare who would dress up as batman and visit sick children in the hospital (who was unfortunately killed in a car accident), he could have avoided doing that he could have thrown money at it and gotten the same result yet he was he took his time and utilized it to help others. So to me their is a lot of truth in it. As for the Turkish one (the Rwandan seems pretty self explanatory) I find its also true that people do not like hearing the truth and those who speak it better expect negative repercussions.

*Quotes

Thank you!

Most Helpful Girl

• I just love those questions! I have many of favourite quotes and I even have a special notebook for them but I am going to choose a few of them :)

"Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness." - Martin Luther King

"If you want to be happy, be." - Leo Tolstoy

"There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness." - Josh Billings

"A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge." - Thomas Carlyle

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with." - Billy Graham

"I believe that if one always looked at the skies, one would end up with wings." - Gustave Flaubert

"The greatest mistake we make is living in constant fear that we will make one." - John C. Maxwell

Well, there are hundreds of them but I am not going to write them all, you actually asked for just one quote but sorry, it was impossible for me to choose only one favourite quote. Every quote from my notebook means a lot to me :)

Why? Because they represent my values and express my thoughts :)

Aawh thank you that's so cute. Is my quote already in your notebook?

Ok and thank you for letting me know about those apps, I will :)

You're very welcome😊

What Guys Said 26

• "Everything is possible, and yet nothing is. All is permitted, and yet again, nothing. No matter which way we go, it is no better than any other. It is all the same whether you achieve something or not, have faith or not, just as it’s all the same whether you cry or remain silent. There is an explanation for everything, and yet there is none. Everything is both real and unreal, normal and absurd, splendid and insipid. There is nothing worth more than anything else, nor any idea better than any other. Why grow sad from one’s sadness and delight in one’s joy? What does it matter whether our tears come from pleasure or pain? Love your unhappiness and hate your happiness, mix everything up, scramble it all! Be a snowflake dancing in the air, a flower floating downstream! Have courage when you don’t need to, and be a coward when you must be brave! Who knows? You may still be a winner! And if you lose, does it really matter? Is there anything to win in this world? All gain is loss, all loss is gain. Why always expect a definite stance, clear ideas, meaningful words? I feel as if I should spout fire in response to all the questions which were ever put, or not put, to me." -Emil Cioran, On the Heights of Despair (1934)

• I have lots of favorites; I can't pick just one. D= So I guess I'll copy and paste a bunch, lol!

- "But try! Of little worth as life is when we misuse it, it is worth that effort. It would cost nothing to lay down if it were not." --- Sydney Carton, from A Tale of Two Cities

- “You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.” --- Ralph Waldo Emerson

- "Two important things are to have a genuine interest in people and to be kind to them. Kindness, I’ve discovered, is everything." --- Isaac Bashevis Singer

- “I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” --- Stephen Grellet

- "The favourable opportunity must be seized, for fortune is female --- if you baulk her today, you must not expect to meet with her again tomorrow." --- Napoleon Bonaparte

- "You lost today, kid. But it doesn't mean you have to like it." --- Fedora, from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade xD

• "Don't take life too seriously, you'll never make it out alive."
    -Van Wilder

• "memento mori"
    (Latin for "remember we die." It's not the literal translation, but it is the deeper meaning of the words.)

It's a bit Freudian, but it sums it all up in two words.

Then there is Woody Allen. Too many great ones to quote, but among my favorites is:
    “I feel that life is divided into the horrible and the miserable. That's the two categories. The horrible are like, I don't know, terminal cases, you know, and blind people, crippled. I don't know how they get through life. It's amazing to me. And the miserable is everyone else. So you should be thankful that you're miserable, because that's very lucky, to be miserable.”

Then there is Yogi Berra... too many to quote. One of my favorites:
    "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

Then there is...

• 2|1
  • 3|1
  • "Knowledge has to be improved, challenged, and increased constantly, or it vanishes."
    -Peter Drucker

• i have 3 : "Those who make peaceful revolutions impossible will make violent revolutions inevitable" - JFK
    "The prettiest dress a woman can wear is the arm of the man who hugs and loves her" - Yves Saint Laurent
    "You're good kid, quite good. But as long as i'm around you'll just be 2nd best you see? " The Mask

Wow! I'm so impressed by the 2nd one~ Thanks for sharing!

@Hermia the 2nd one is my favorite because i bring it up, put my arm around a girl and say : see? now you are dressed ;) take the rest off ^^

Oh my gosh! You are so witty and romantic!! Haha~

• 1|0
  • "Only two things are Infinite; the universe, and the People's stupidity. And I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

• "In music all the feelings back to its pure state and the world is nothing but music made reality" Arthur Schopenhauer

• the past is gone
    the future is a mistery
    the present is a gift - that's why its called "present"

dunno who said but goddamn

Haha! That's also my favorite! I heard about it from the movie "Kongfu Panda":
      Yesterday is a history; tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift - that is why it is called the present.

• Don't fuck wit me
    ~anonymous

• " be yourself cuz everyone else is taken" - Oscar wilde

• I have too many

• "Most people don't live, they simply exist."

• All you need is love, love is all you need - John Winston Lennon
    ❤️

• I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum.

I'm not sure what serious quotes I like most, just this silly but badass quote

• "I think therefor I am", it is an extremely powerful quote.

• "the game, is not won. Until it is won"

• Sometimes it is the people no one imagines anything of who do the things that no-one can imagine

• "Its better to be good looking and rich than to be ugly and poor". I like it because its true

• "Shift that fat ass Harry but slowly or you'll swamp the damned boat." George Washington

• life sucks, and then you die. it's from a song called "the optimist"

What Girls Said 14

• I looove quotes. This one is just one of my favourites:

"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love" -Dr. Suess

I love it because that's what I imagine love to be. :) <3

• It is not death that most people are afraid of. It is getting to the end of life.. only to realize that you never truly lived - Prince EA

• "It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness. Nothing more." -Albus Dumbledore (J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter)

"FEAR stands for fuck everything and run." -(Stephen King's Doctor Sleep)
    Don't know why but this made me laugh when I first read it. 😆

"Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like an armor and it can never be used to hurt you." -Tyrion Lannister (Game of Thrones)

• 1|0
  • "The best way to get started is to quit talking about it and start doing it!"-Walt Disney
    "You see things and say "Why"? but I dream things that never were and say "Why not"?-George Bernard Shaw
    "A girl should always be two things, classy and fabulous!"-Coco Chanel

• " I didn't know what to say. I felt like crying, Goddammit everybody in the world wants an explanation for your acts and for your very being".
    -Jack Kerouac (in On the Road).

• Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters

• "He who makes a beast out of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man"

• "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously" -Noam Chomsky

Another one I just remembered- "We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender".

Plus pretty much everything Mark Twain is said to have said:)

Hahah sounds like you're a fan :)

• "Whatever will be will be"
    "It is what it is"
    "Good things come to those who wait"
    "If it's meant to be it will be"

• If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten

• "There are no ugly girls, just lazy ones"

• "they say follow your dreams so im going back to sleep"

• I don't really have one.