Gamers... Stylized or photorealistic graphics?

For me, stylized... Any day

• StylizedGamers... Stylized or photorealistic graphics?
  • RealisticGamers... Stylized or photorealistic graphics?

Most Helpful Guy

• (video unrelated)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef_41JpwqdE

It really does depend on the game but I have a slight preference for realistic graphics. When it comes down to it both of them can have their floors. Stylised can be a bit overwhelming and can try to burn your retinas on the other hand realistic graphics, sometimes it's just too damn dark

For me borderlands was too much, I just could't play it at all. Brink felt like a sweet spot

media.giphy.com/media/QDK1pCI43lGhO/giphy.gif

Most Helpful Girl

• I prefer realistic, but the other one is good too. Depends on my mood really. =)

It's important to mention - I can value both images, but the unrealistic content - that's what I never appreciated - like monsters or something like that... Zombies and vampires - those are fine...

What Guys Said 34

• www.court-records.net/animationgk/miles-bow(b).gif

Thank you for the invite, much appreciated!

I didn't vote because I don't have a preference. It really depends on what kind of game I would want to play. For example, I would prefer photorealistic graphics for a game like Uncharted or Tomb Raider. But I would want a more stylized style for a more exaggerated game like Fallout or Borderlands.

• When the game is good, it doesn't matter much.

Just to show you the picture, I've played the 100% of GTA 4, in my old crappy computer, at 11-15 fps, in the lowest graphics possible. Sometimes I think I reached easily 1 fps depending on the zone that was being rendered.

One of the greatest summers of my life. I'm inclined to realistic, but it doesn't have to be photorealistic, just resembling the human world is enough for me.

• This really depends on each game. There are games within all genres that are either realistic or stylized. Bioshock and Arma III are both FPS but one's stylized and the other's realistic. But neither would work with the graphics of the other.

• "Realistic" almost always looks like crap because it doesn't look realistic, there are way too many things in any game for artists to give enough attention to detail to make every part look realistic. There will usually be like one or two scenes that look amazing and the rest looks mediocre.

Styled is better, but I feel like the game dev industry has been dry of genuine creative vision for a long time... or maybe not dry, maybe too pressured with business requirements.

Whatever it is I don't play games anymore but still have to go with stylized.

I agree. And it might look good for it's time but they eventually fade. You can just look at some of the older COD games. But I think stylized games on the PS2 still look good (if you get past the resolution and other stuff)

Yeah. I like the stylized graphics of a lot of old-school games, especially late 90's / early 00's isometric "cRPGs". The artistic vision doesn't get dated even if the tech does... but if the game is lacking in artistic creativity, then the tech looks dated

• Realistic in my opinion. With the odd exception here or there, some games the stylized art is just really good so I'm okay with those but prefer realistic.

So long as it's not Cartoonish... I HATE cartoon graphics, like I will not buy a game I really want if it's cartoon style.

• I love both, depending on the genre of the game. I live my RPGs to be stylized and my action games photorealistic.

• What's the difference? I mean I have a good idea and pretty sure I know what it is, but what is the advantage of either?

Nothing. It's just about preference... I guess aesthetically

I care more about the gameplay though

• I think it depends on the genre. If I was playing a fantasy rpg I'd prefer stylized but if I was playing a horror I'd prefer photorealism. I think the flavor of the game can be enhanced by different graphical styles.

• Depends on the game. GTA and ArmA need realism. Overwatch and Borderlands are fine stylised.

(Did you know Borderlands was originally going to be a lot more realistic? The cel-shading was a late addition)

• In most cases I prefer stylized, it simply looks better.

• Realistic.
    I'm a huge sucker for graphics, and the more realistic, the better.

Graphics Whore then? :D (No offence tho).

@YellowCactus I actually did not. Can you link me if you find it?

@LadyTerror Ok, I finally found it, after like 20 minute's search.

Here's the video:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5El-yYNUwU

I think if it was actually made by one person that this guy is a fucking genius. He also says that it should be finished in a couple of years. It's more like cross over between Final Fantasy x Something. What do you think of this game?

• I can appreciate both equally

• Realistic with colors pls

• Photorealistic. Is it just me or did everything on this site get really big?

• Stylized.

I love cel-shaded graphics like what you'd find in Zelda: Wind Waker and Dishonored.

Games are supposed to games, an escapism from life and for game developers to be seeking more and more life like realism is a detriment to the entire concept of gaming in my opinion.

• it depends on the game / genre.

in some I prefer realism, in some stylized and in others I like both. It needs to fit the game and look pretty

• Stylized has much more of an artistic feel to it and personally I think they tell stories much better kind of like in life is strange and bioshock infinite.

• I voted realistic, but it depends on the genre and storyline. I just need a good gameplay and there can be good graphics in realistic as well as stylised form. The picture below stylized option is from Bioshock Infinity right?

• Depends on the game so I choose both :D.

• Whatever. Last of Us is a bit shit though.

• Depends on the game.

• Both for me I can't choose

• I like both, but often i incline for Stylized

• I gotta go with realistic. Stylized makes my head hurt a bit.

• Both. But it also depends on what game it is. I might lean over to realistic tho

• It depends on the type of game. But I mostly prefer photorealistic graphics.

• Both.

• I prefer stylised, allows for more creativity and abstract gameplay.

• Depends on the game. I like stylized more though. Gives the game a personality of its own.

• Definitely stylised. Photo-realistic can be cool, but I prefer a little "art" in the art style.

• More from Guys
    4

What Girls Said 11

• It depends on the game. I think that photorealistic looks really, really cool but for RPGs I like stylised.

• LOL! As long as it doesn't give me motion sickness I'm happy XD

• It depends on type of the game, I love it Stylized in games like Final Fantasy and other RPG games, but I like it photorealistic in Horror Survival games.

• I think it really just depends on the type of game. But especially for RPG types where I get to roam around and explore the environment I love realistic.

• It's like 50:50 for me, it depends on the game.

• Stylized, aesthetically speaking, it's much prettier :)

• I dislike realistic because it becomes out dated graphic wise pretty fast.

I like stylized more. ^^

• I like more of a realistic feel, but both are nice depending on the plot and genre of the game.

• It depends on the game, but some of my favorite games are stylized

• Why can't I have both?

• I prefer Stylized, my daughter Realistic