What's a good sports action camera on the market?

I know they're costly, so I don't want to spend anything over $400. It needs to be mounted on a motocross dirtbike helmet (and I want it to be semi permanent not permanent). I plan on using it to film footage while I'm dirtbike riding. So the quality needs to be spot on. Waterproof? Um would be a good idea (just in case if it's raining on the day or if I get attacked by mud).

I'm looking at the GoPro series. There's the GoPro hero4 that I kind of like but unsure how "good" they are. Or if I'm just better off with the first generation (the GoPro). Just unsure about the difference (if there are any)

It'd be awesome if anyone has any other suggestions (on the GoPros or other action cameras)

Thanks! 👊🏽🙃

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• The gopros are pretty good. But expensive.
    The sony range is also quite good. And I think for starters the SJCam also makes very good pictures at a MUCH lower price

What Guys Said 9

• Best bang for your buck is either the GoPro 5 or the new Sony FDR X3000.

Mostly the Sony for its optical image stabilization that doesn't affect picture quality and it's microphones that are a bit better at reducing wind noise over the GoPro 5. Which isn't bad either tho lol.
    They now have 3 that switch alternate to get the best sound.

Other than that they're both relatively equal in specs. The Sony might be a bit easier to edit over the go pro and its premium cloud usage though. Which I believe you have to pay for to do direct video to app edits.

GoPro 5 is $700 :(

I don't plan on editing much. Just a better device to video footage and not hold a camcorder or my phone doing so. I did it on snapchat haha pretty dangerous

Nice, nice haha!!! Yea relive those Xander cage, Dave mirra like moments 😎!!!

Oh i'll try, i'll try :)

• Based on price and features, pick your 3 favorites from this list.

www.bestproducts.com/.../

Then after you have selected 3, look up more in depth reviews of those 3 on youtube to help you pick the one you want. Or instead of youtube, use this site https://www.cnet.com

• I may have found you a solution - and you won't believe it sis but of course it's been tested out on a plane :D
    But those are going faster than you're bike so it may be the ideal test for what you want to do... this 8 min film explains the concept and it's cheap - far less than 100 USD!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16_wAUHkRzE

The Emerson is ok dear brother. Although he did say the controls were flimsy :(

HAHA definitely like that dear brother XD

• I have a Sony ActionCam AS200v here... I think it's pretty good but don't know how good it is to a similar priced GoPro. I bought that one 2 years ago for roughly 300€, so there should be a newer, better version out by now.

by the way, don't get blended by 4k devices. They shoot at 30fps, that's too low for what you wanna do. So it's nothing more than a gimmick unless you plan to use it for other things with little movement

"don't get blended by 4k devices. They shoot at 30fps" what do you mean?

The higher the supported framerate is *

Yeah the movement is going to be really fast and I want it to be able to film it steadily. The Sony ones can do that really well. But i'm unsure where to buy it from in Australia. I think Australia market the GoPros like it's the "in thing" but i'd have a look around of course. Thanks man

• *gasp* I have no idea but if I come across any I'll be sure to let you know.

• With cams always go for newer versions, I'd go with gopro, it's popular and they fix things quickly.

Go for highest resolution you can afford , because it gives better results with stabilization etc.

• Go with the best gopro you can afford

• You sure you can fork out $1200 dollars? I know a pretty good camera.

I'm looking on EBay 🙌🏽 and there's a few GoPro hero4's that I'm looking at that are just under $400 (free postage and handling) I know I'd have to get a SD card for it too 😐🔫

What Girls Said 1

• Definitely go with the GoPro