Bob Dylan has won the Nobel literature prize. Opinions?

I love Bob Dylan, I've always liked his music both because of the melodies and because of the lyrics.
His lyrics are poetry indeed. I was surprised to learn he won the Nobel prize in luiterature, but I think he deservs it.
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/13/bob-dylan-wins-2016-nobel-prize-in-literature.html

H
ere's one of my favorite songs

Opinions?

Most Helpful Girl

• Im not surprised at all. He is brilliant. Im glad he won. He really inspired me afew years ago when I was going through a tough time. I would listen to his music and feel at ease but it also made me think of everything. Not many musicians can do that.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 17

• Shame on me for letting you beat me to this question. I was absolutely thrilled. This is an achievement he is 100% deserving of and I hope it will encourage and open doors for other such artistry.

I a time where garbage Taylor Swift is seen as an icon this is a nice reminder that good work is truly still appreciated.

He is a writer and he's a great writer. Because his writing is even more powerful when spoken through song isn't a disqualified. Neil Young would also be a deserving artist. Cobain was a great writer as is Fiona Apple. Not to this level but I think these kinds of artists should be given more of a platform then the trash we have shoved at us today.

• Congrats to Bob!! A Legend in His own Right.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

He is my number one favorite, definitely. The album Highway 61 Revisited is pure magic... starting with Like a Rolling Stone, finishing with Desolation Row... and every song in between is a gem.

@TheWaterBear ah, yes. And thank God he is still Around Town. xxoo

• I don't even know who that is.

• I love this! :-) such a talent, very well deserved.
    Desolation row and visions of Johanna are two of my faves

• It's a beautiful recognition for a beautiful poet.

• Not gonna lie, I only know him for being apart of the Traveling Wilburys. I love that band, and his addition was great. I think he deserves it.

That's great that you're aware of that band. Definitely dig deeper and check out Bob Dylan's solo stuff. And if you're confused about why he's a big deal, watch the documentary "No Direction Home"

Yeah I don't care for country music at all either. Both of those are good choices. It's between End of the Line and Maxine for me.

• Obama has one for peace despite his daily drone attacks so it doesn't mean much.

• He's an absolute genius. He deserved it no doubt. Once in a lifetime type of musician.

• Don't think twice, it's alright

• glad to hear he won
    he's the best

• Cool, his songs are poems with music.

• About time.

• I don't know much about Bob Dylan unfortunately as I wasn't raised on his music at all.

• Unexpected but it made me happy. He's more than a songwriter, a great poet indeed..

• Happy for him:)

• Who in the world?

• That harmonica sound😍

What Guys Said 30

• I'm glad he's being honored, but I'm not too sure about him getting a literature prize. But anyway, he's great and he had a huge impact and I love a lot of his music. He revolutionized songwriting and influenced so many artists that it would be impossible to name them.
    https://vimeo.com/150126587

Lyrics are poetry, and poetry is literature.

@TheWaterBear I respectfully disagree. Song lyrics can be poetic, but they're not poetry. And there's nothing wrong with having that distinction. The two art forms are just separate things. The way a poem is structured is obviously completely devoid of any need to conform to the musical structure of a song, as opposed to song lyrics which are necessarily dependent on the musical structure. I'm not saying the one form is better than the other. They're just different things.

• I lost my faith in the Nobel prizes when Obama got his for doing nothing. It's a leftist thing now and not objective. To me, that demeans the integrity of the award. I love Dylan music as well as his lyrics. Always have since he started in the 60's. While his lyrics have been good, there are a lot of much more deserving authors.

do you know that one part of obamacare, allows people to not have to pay for chemotherapy. insurance companies used to say "we'll pay for it, but if it starts to get way up there, after an extended period, you must pay". Obama eliminated that with obamacare. he has done some stuff

@Dave20154 Where is the good? Even the main designer of Obamacare said more than once that he had to lie to the American people to be able to get them on board. He said the American people are stupi. He's right about the ones who bought into it. Obama illegally delayed perts that haven't started yet because he knew it would be worse after they start. He wanted to let this election be done before that stuff comes out. Please tell me where the good is in Obamacare.

Not to mention that if you choose not to use Obamacare then you get taxed and every year that tax gets bigger and bigger until you have no choice but to go to Obamacare.

• i think this is great. his work inspired so much change socially. he was undoubtedly one of the leading voices of his era and revered by people from so many walks of life. there's no doubt that his work influenced people as much as other literary Nobel prize winners.

• I have always been too distracted by his horrible, nasal singing to pay much attention to his lyrics. This seems like a very PC decision and that is not unusual for the Nobel committees.

How is this PC?

@zagor They wrote poetry, not songs.

Lyrics can be poetry.

• Like Bob Marley and Tupac Shakur, I think that while Bob Dylan is insanely good and influential, he is also extremely overrated. He was not the greatest lyricists of the 1960s, though I can see how he completely embodied everything that his respective genre stood for. Again, like what Bob Marley means to reggae and Tupac to hip hop. But skill wise, he is not the best. Ironically I prefer his more mainstream, pop albums like Nashville Skyline than I actually do any of his "deep" lyrical stuff, which is precisely what he is known for. He is superior to John Lennon, but still not the best. My favorite song from him is "Girl From the North Country" with Johnny Cash.

• The guy is way over rated in my opinion. I saw him in the late 70s. By far the worst concert I've been too. Sure, every now and then he came up with a good song, but most are average at best.

I basically found his music to be very boring.

@zagor
      Knockin' on Heaven's Door is one of my favorite songs. Not just by Dylan but by anyone.
      Forever Young, although I like covers better than his, especially the Pretenders version.
      My Back Pages
      All Along the Watch Tower
      It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
      Mr. Tambourine Man
      Blowin' in the Wind

How about Girl from the North Country or Lay Lady Lay?

• Dylan is a storyteller among songwriters and a poet among storytellers. He must be the biggest lyrical genius in the history of music, and during the early 60s, he might even have been the most socially influential musician to ever have lived. But I think a literature price isn't really fitting for music. They got the categories mixed up and that's unfair towards the actual novelists. If you want to award Dylan with a price for poetic songs, then make one. His work is good enough to justify the effort.

• I don't care to be honest the Nobel Prize doesn't really mean much anymore.

• I like Bob Dylan , but if it had to be a song writer, Jacques Brel or Leonard Cohen might have been considered too.

• Bob Dylan for President!

• Bob Dylan (real name Robert Allen Zimmerman) is one of the greatest musical talents of the modern age. Not only did he write some of the deepest poetic musical lyrics and tunes and have a unique writing and performing style that has never been equaled, but so many other musicians of our time either performed things Dylan wrote or were heavily influenced by his work. If you had to credit only one person for sparking the modern age of music, I think Dylan would be a strong contender.

• 1|0
  • Tbh I don't think I've heard of him until they announced that he won the prize.

• He is good at writing but his voice sounds like someone is stepping on his junk just like Leto laughing as the Joker.

• Should have been Donald Trump won

• I love how all these girls are commenting when I'm sure none of the ones under the age of 25 knew who he was last week.

That said, the dude is definitely a worthy recipient. A voice of peace and dissent in a time of senseless war.

• long over due

• So many great songs I paticularly like one more cup of coffee but God on our side and only a pawn in their game was very influential on myself growing up. Poetry was the right prize because though he sings them his songs are pure poetry and brilliant

• Well, if Kissinger get the Peace prize, then I don't see why Bob Dylan shouldn't get the Literature one.

• Didn't even recognize the name until someone mentioned "knocking on heaven's door". To be honest I think the literature prize should be given to a real author, but I don't really care about the whole Nobel prize thing anyway.

• He is certainly deserving. AND he's coming to Charlotte!

• They should have gave him the Nobel for Medicine. That would have made sense.

Song lyrics are poetry, and poetry is literature.

@TheWaterBear With so many people doing literature (real literature) out there, giving the prize to Dylan (which is other way a great musician) is a joke.

• Down next to me, in this lonely crowd, there's a man who cries he's not to blame...

• Pretty nice award to win

• Very happy to see it.

• Cool guy

• Wonderful! Congratulations!

• What a fucking joke.

• def. a good choice

• People on buzzfeed are pissed off because no woman won a Nobel Prize this year.