Are men really better drivers than women?

Who's the safer driver? Are men really better drivers than women??

Most Helpful Guy

• Any insurance agent will say that women are lower risk. But that is absolute risk, not risk per distance driven under exactly the same conditions. Just to make up some numbers, if men drive twice as much on average as women, if everything else is equal you'd expect them to have twice as many accidents. So from an insurance point of view the risk is twice as great. I doubt if it is double, but I have no doubt that men drive considerably more on average.

As far as who is actually better at it, I have no idea. I doubt if even the insurance companies know. For one thing, it would be difficult to define a good driver and it would be somewhat subjective. All I know is that I've never noticed an obvious difference. If there is a difference it's not enough to stand out.

Most Helpful Girl

• On the whole, women are safer driver (take less risks) but men are better drivers (as in ability to drive). I would prefer a women in the wheel because of these facts.

What Guys Said 40

• Depends on what aspect you are looking at it from. If you're talking about pure skill, the fact that there are virtually no professional women racing drivers should be enough to prove men are more skillful drivers.

Biologically speaking, men have better visuospatial skills, which is the ability to comprehend and conceptualize visual representations and spatial relationships in learning and performing a task. That essentially means we should naturally be better drivers.

Statistically speaking, men are still better drivers. Yes, there are 1 million more licensed female drivers than male drivers, and yes in raw numbers, men still do cause more accidents. BUT men also on average drive about 6,000 miles more per year than women, meaning we are much more often exposed to the dangers of driving and more likely to see an accident. Do a little math, and 1 women will cause an accident for every 243639 miles driven by all females, while 1 man will cause an accident for every 282123 miles driven by all males. This means a woman is 15.8% more likely to cause an accident than men.

Realistically speaking, men are better drivers. But regardless of statistics and number of miles driven, accidents are accidents, and since men are involved in more of them, insurance companies are still more likely to charge the women far less for car insurance than they would charge the men.

• I've got the statistics.
    www.iihs.org/.../gender
    Men are usually safer drivers when they are driving under the speed limit but they do tend to go fast a lot , that contributes to a lot of the crashes.
    Women drivers tend to stay within the speed limit which gives them less high-speed crashes but they tend to have more accidents at low speeds.

So I say... which gender is statistically safer?
    They are about the same.

i guess this is why most off the time males are involved in an accident on the freeway.

in my city males are mostly involved in collisions on the freeway while females in my city get involved in a collision on the streets but it does depend on the individual

• Not necessarily. Think Danica Patrick, Sarah Fisher and Lyn St. James and many others that are or were racers then Georgia Durante that unwittingly became a mob getaway driver at 18 and was so naturally talented the Don used her as his personal driver. She later got out and runs a stunt driving school. Then there's Sue (the flying) Fish ex motocross racer that did very well as a pro motocrosser

• It truly depends on age, and level maturity, but overall I think it's pretty equal. Men are much more reckless when it comes to driving at a younger age, but women seem to drive more narrow to the confines of safety. Thus sometimes seeming abnormal since we live in such a fast paced world, but that's just my own personal experiences.

• We seem to be more confident generally not always though one of my sisters frends is apparently a very confident driver and one of my frends GFs a long time ago was very confident having only past recently.
    Maybe we have a more jaded view of the world things aren't perfect there's always some risk we just have to minimise it as best we can or maybe its just the pepole i know?
    Personally Im very good at reversing if on a narrow road or for a parking slot and other maneuvers but i hate over taking and it has to be a very good line of sight and slow vehicle for me to overtake so id say im quite a safe driver calm in bad situations yet likes to avoid risk.

• Insurance companies here know women are less accident prone in traffic.

• I'd like to say women are safer drivers. I think so anyways because it always seems men are the more aggressive drivers which leads them to more accidents.

• No it's just another nonsense stereotype. You ladies drive as good or as horrible as we do. I have had to pull the breaks for some crazy drivers out there, and those were both male and female

• Yes, men are better drivers than women. I have been a delivery driver for close to ten years and see women being too distracted, cautious, and panicky. Us guys generally drive too fast and have more expensive cars. A females insurance is cheaper because she's usually covered under parents or spouse's policy..

• I've seen women do a lot of stupid things behind the wheel. I don't really care which gender drives better, all I know is I wouldn't go to sleep on a road trip with a lot of the women I've seen drive... I drive well, but I'm sure there are lots of men that drive better or worse then me throughout the world...

• About the same.

• Better at it yeah , but not always safer since we are more aggressive so we take more chances , but with women I see a lot of carelessness and tail gating going on or dumb things so it's almost even between the two

women are more aggressive, in spain and rome lol

yeah and what makes this even more funny is, the guys act like the females in america. I was so confused when I took a trip to spain lol

@Bobbyhill1 no wonder you felt like you were in the twilight zone, lol

• Males speed and check out girls while driving
    Females text and talk on the phone...

Men are safer drivers.

• Yea cause we are taller stronger when that's helpful. Other then that not really. And that's a rare occasion to.

• I think women are absolutely reckless while driving.

• Men are more skilled, look at who mainly drive in races and rallys. Men also drive more than women. If women drove just as much as men, they would have more accidents

• Most objectively true answer: depends on the individual.

• some women can also drive better

• Men.. women just can't drive.

• in my personal opinion, it is true. men only get in more accidents because statistically, men do more driving than women

• wwwdiscoverycom/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/grrr-male-drivers/

• Yes, they are. Still they do similar amounts of crashes - because there are more men driving risky.

• I'd guess it works out about even. Women tend to be more cautious, men tend to be more skilled.

• of course, duh

• You're asking two different questions. Safer != Better

• When I see a woman driving... i keep myself 30 feet away

• Is the color of my pants related to jet fuel?

• Definitely 💯

• 0|0
  • Absolutely.

• More from Guys
    10

What Girls Said 16

• It's already been proven that women are the better drivers lol. So much to the credibility of stereotypes, once again, in case it hadn't been obvious to the general population with an IQ over 90.

www.telegraph.co.uk/.../...r-drivers-than-men.html

• seems like this could've been a good poll question.
    I think women are safer but men are probably better.
    Me? I'm an excellent driver!
    https://youtu.be/k1uX6VliMpw

• Sometimes I feel like women are better at being safer, because they are often more considering. But then again sometimes men are more confident drivers and often being more polite to sidewalkers for example. (Or is that just because I am a woman?)

• After what I've heard, what my boyfriend has told me, and the videos I've seen. It's not about gender but just people in Portugal.

Though in the USA car insurance is more expensive for men than women. So it seems that the insurance company things that males tend to be worse and cause more accidents.

• Depends on the person. I'm a very safe driver. I know men and women who are terrible drivers and men and women who are great drivers. I think it has less to do with "what" you are and more to do with your personality, attention span, priorities etc.

• faster yeah they r but better no! ! if u look at any statistics about car accidents and the gender of the drivers specially the ones that ended up dead, then you'll know that men r the worst drivers.

• I'm a terrible driver I would rather have my boyfriend drive and just in general I would rather have a guy drive than b in the car with some of my girlfriends cuz they're not much better than me

why would you say that? it depends on the individual and at least every hour there is an accident on the freeway and most off the time i see males involved in those dangerous collisions

i honestly believe the best drivers are the ones that drive like 8 hours a day such as truck drivers because they can anticipate anything and analyze if someone will make a mistake on the road as opposed to someone that drives to work or goes shopping.

I think that is true too but I also know someone who owns a trucking company and her truck drivers have a lot of wrecks she is constantly having to get new ones but I could see how they could anticipate more

• I think men and I'd feel safer if there's a man behind the wheel. I don't know why, maybe because they have the "protective gene".

• Yes, I think so. Plus watching a (cute) guy drive is pretty hot and I feel safer driving with them haha.

• I have no personal stake in this discussion as I can't drive, but the funny thing about this stereotype is that I didn't know that it was one until I was like 20, which probably has largely to do with the fact that my mother is the best driver I've ever known.

• In my country in 2015, it was estimated that all the traffic accidents were done by men, so no woman there created any.

Yup in yo face men!

• Honestly, no. Guys have zero control over their emotions and get angry faster than women.

• Nope

• Tbh women are more careful drivers because for me personally I feel if I ever got into a car accident I will most likey take sooo long to try to drive again.

• Yes they are

• Stats say women cause more fender benders, but men cause more fatalities.