It shares the same name as the animals featured in the film
The real velociraptor was the size of a Turkey while the dinosaurs in the film where much larger than a grown man. Also at the beginning Dr. Grant was digging up a raptor skeleton in the US when Velociraptors lived in Mongolia
It was closer in size to the dinosaurs in the film than the real velociraptor and it was found in the US
It was still only about the size of a grown man while the raptors in the film were much larger than a man
Utahraptor was found in the US and like the raptors in the film it was much larger than a grown man.
Utahraptor was (by a wide margin) larger than the raptors featured in the film.
Achillobator was the same size as the animals in the film
Achillobator was found in Mongolia while the fossils of the dinosuars depicted as "velociraptors" where found in the US and while Achillobator was found in 1989 it wasn't described until 1999, after the film took place.
Dakotaraptor was the same size as the dinosaurs depicted and was found in the US.
Dakotaraptor wasn't discovered until 2005 (after the film was made) and had a proportionately much larger claw.
Since the raptors seem to have traits characteristic of multiple dromeaosaurs, it may be that Ingen collected DNA from multiple raptor species to make the animals seen in the film
No where does it specify that this is how the raptors were engineered.
- Velociraptor0% (0)25% (1)20% (1)Vote
- Deinonychus0% (0)50% (2)40% (2)Vote
- Utahraptor100% (1)0% (0)20% (1)Vote
- Achillobator0% (0)0% (0)0% (0)Vote
- Dakotaraptor0% (0)25% (1)20% (1)Vote
- Hybrid0% (0)0% (0)0% (0)Vote
- Other0% (0)0% (0)0% (0)Vote
Most Helpful Guy
The Velociraptors (especially their size) were not accurate to the real-life fossils, but within the narrative of the story, they were just meant to be "Velociraptors" --- with some frog DNA to fill in the missing genome sequences I think? --- rather than a hybrid of any other dinosaurs.
As for the film design, though, the filmmakers most likely based it most on Deinonychus --- I think they even said this themselves --- with some changes to make it more dramatic of course, like making it taller than the real dinosaur was.
But Deinonychus is the closest thing for sure:
1) It is popularly known as the "human-sized raptor"
2) Its killing claw is closest in size to the one you see Alan Grant carrying around in his pocket lol
3) Its skull is closest in size to the heads of the raptors in the movies
4) Its fossils are found in the US, where Grant was shown to find the fossil at the beginning0