I don't love Harry Potter like everyone else does! Is there something wrong with me?

I've been watching all the buzz surrounding "Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them" and found myself envious of the sheer excitement all the fans are feeling. Since I love fantasy series like Lord of the Rings, Avatar, and the Disney fairytales, I expected to love Harry Potter as well. I tried reading the first book but it wasn't very well written and borrowed too many random things from other sources.
After that, I stuck to the movies, faithfully seeing each one in the theatre. But after a point, the story got sooo complicated, it was hard to really know what was going on. Everything in the Potter universe is so random, eccentric and odd. Voldemort turned out to be some weirdo with no nose, and Harry himself never became the incredible wizard we were promised. After finding the last movie disappointing, I finally admitted to myself that I was nothing more than a casual fan, despite my best efforts. While I agree that the CONCEPT of Harry Potter is fantastic, the story got kind of boring and confusing.

I just scored tickets to a special screening of Fantastic Beasts before the film opens, but I'm not even that excited for it. What's wrong with me, what am I missing? I just want to be like everyone else. This is a worldwide phenomenon and I feel so left out. :( How can I increase my devotion to Harry Potter as these people have:

• Sorry, any muggle who doesn't appreciate Harry Potter has something seriously wrong with them!I don't love Harry Potter like everyone else does! Is there something wrong with me?
  • It's way odd to not like Harry Potter much but you're not aloneI don't love Harry Potter like everyone else does! Is there something wrong with me?
  • You have a point. It IS overrated!I don't love Harry Potter like everyone else does! Is there something wrong with me?
  • Expecto Patronum! (Show Results)

What Girls Said 5

• Everyone likes different things, so it's no problem it's not quite up your alley!
    I bloody love HP though. I'm on my way to see fantastic beasts and I could seriously fan girl squeal right now 😖

• 14d

It IS up my alley though! I love fantasy films, go to fantasy conventions, etc. I should've loved Harry Potter. Argh.

Just saw Fantastic Beasts but I won't give any spoilers. ;)

• 14d

Yeah, Doctor Strange was great, although the ending wasn't the greatest. I did like the ending of Fantastic Beasts where they got to have some emotional character moments. There should have been more of that in the rest of the movie. Somehow I knew Newt would get the bowtruckle back. Lol.

• 14d

Agreed - I hated the big blob alien bad guy thing. Seemed lazy really. Benedict C was amazing though!

• Harry's face says how I felt reading this... But I understand and accept differences in opinins. The books are waaaaaaaaaaaayy better than the movies though... The movies made me mad as hell, telling almost a different story than the books. They make me feel like the Hungarian Horntail without it's egg

• It's not for everyone.

• You're not alone!

• 15d

thanks. Are you a fantasy fan though? I don't know why I, as a fantasy fan, can't see in Harry Potter what everyone else sees. It's weird.

• 14d

It depends what book. I'm reading a French fantasy book and I just loooove it but Harry Potter is not my thing xP I think it's mostly because it's a great book but the fact that so many people love it makes it just an okay book. I hate being like the others anyways so :P

• Yeah probably.

What Guys Said 8

• You're not alone. I tried to read the first book when it was just becoming popular and it was unbearably shit. I barely finished the first chapter. Terrible writing and risible attempts at Roald Dahl-style "nonsense" words. I think I cringed so hard I dropped the book.

• I personally agree that it's overated. The books get very samey as the series continues.

• There's nothing wrong with you because you don't enjoy something that a large group of people do. *ahem-member-the-nazis? lol

I don't like the whole Harry Potter thing either. Yes I tried reading them, and yes I'm a fantasy fan (Wheel of Time series is my fav)

• You gave us the polling system

no people like different things

• no i dont like harry potter.

• Not necessarily everyone loves football, and I don't give a shit about it

• i really hate it, just like Jacob sartorius

• Boo! You should be called Lightspeed-LemonParty