Why do white people like black music, but black people don't like white music?

Tons of white people love R&B, Hip Hop, and Blues, but it seems like very, very few black people enjoy musical genres dominated by white artists, things like classical, rock, and country music.

What Girls Said 18

• I'm Black and I love Bollywood music moslty. And I also listen to my culture's music which is African. I can appreciate R&B/Hip Hop, Rock, Pop, Country, Alternative, Electronic. I'm very open minded 😄😄

• Must just be those around you. I mean, I've lived all over the place and kind of get what you mean. When I lived in Atlanta, the rap, hip hop and r&b scene was pretty big. But my best friend (who's black) loves music. She really loves Adele actually, but we listen to metal, classical, hip hop, electronica, you name it. I'm not a fan of country.

• There is no white music, the music you call white music is often from other ethnicities.

• 18d

That's incorrect. Classical music was created and purveyed entirely by Europeans. Similarly, country music originated from Celtic folk music brought to America by Scots-Irish immigrants. Rock was an exception, though, because it did originate from white musicians adapting black music into a new form. But rock itself is white music, no question. Black artists in rock are as rare as a Republican in San Francisco.

• 17d

I'll ask my mother, she knows more about music history than I do. Maybe my statement is wrong.

• 17d

You're right in a sense SnowHearth. Particularly in the 50s and 60s a lot of black music was stolen and used by white artists like Elvis who made the music popular. Many black artists laid the foundation for what became known as rock 'n roll. Music from the 50s through the 80s in particular was influenced by black culture and was used in fusion to create mainstream music and heavily influences current pop music.

• I like all kinds of music and I'm black. I don't understand why some black people put themselves into a ""box almost of having to only like so-called "black music, black art, black dance, etc. They're just limiting themselves.

• Im black and I like a little bit of everything from gangster rap to classical. As long as I like the song, I dont care about the skin color of the person.

• 18d

It's just a trend I've noticed. Almost all the white kids I knew growing up loved hip hop, but black kids mocked rock and country as "cracker music."

• I know a ton of black people who do not fit your small tiny, little world view, and just as many white friends who do not.. like wise not all Latinos listen to mariachi music... exposure to more people diversify your locations and travel.

• 19d

LOL oh bugger off. I live in a large metro area more diverse than anywhere you've lived, and I know a lot of people of different ethnicities.

• What? Do you actually even have any black people in your life or are you just going off of what you think you know? There are plenty of black people who like music created by white artists. Not *every* black person can relate well to music created by white artists the same way not all white people like rap. I will say, black culture has been pretty exploited so a lot of people think it's cool to be white and pretend they like black culture until it actually comes down to care about black issues.

• To start, maybe you should expand your circle a little bit more so that you can meet people of different ethnicities that listen to different genres of music.

On another note, most people like music that they feel they can relate whether that be emotionally, spiritually, etc.

It all depends on the reason why he or she listens to music. Maybe, introduce some people to the music in question.

People like what they are accustomed to. There is nothing wrong with that, and there is nothing wrong with you for being curious about preferences.

• I like all kinds of music, on my phone there's a mix of Kanye and One Direction and other artists. My music goes from What Makes You Beautiful to Ni**as in Paris lol.

• ummm im black and i listen to mcr, fob and paramore occasionally...
    also, my parents bought classical music CDs ALL the time when i was little...

• I dont care for black music.

• I like rock dance and alternative and pop music except for rap rap music is the only music I don't like because in rap there's cursing and some lyrics to it that I don't like

• I like all types of music honestly

• True

• Because black people are so deathly afraid of 'acting white'

• I like everything but classical but I do listen to alittle country.

• That's not true. And your elaborated question contradicts your initial question. That's dumb.

Black people listen to white artists all the time, it's just not as common. Which implies white people are more open to other things not just emphasizing on music here, but a whole spectrum of other things. Comes down to Open minds vs Narrow minds and acceptance of new things, which is why black people tend to see racism in almost everything even where there isn't, they'll pinpoint something out, because they aren't not open to other things as other races.

• 18d

You need to look up the definition of "contradiction," sweetie.

• 18d

Riiiight but definitely you should get a dictionary, or better yet just google it.

• 18d

Oh sweetie, just stop digging that hole.

• R&B, Hip-Hop & Blues aren't *black* music, and classic, rock, & country isn't *white* music. You are extremely racist and obviously one track minded.

What Guys Said 13

• White people music are too slow much like country music with little to no inspiration much like street music.( the ones with white and red stripped suits.) they are boring. It tells no real story. Metal or rock or soft rock is good. But look at them in the past vs how black people would do it. Like the guy who does CM PUNKS theme for WWE. It targets individuality. Where as slipknot, disturbed and etc basically about destruction and anger. Don't get me wrong creed, pearl jam, radio head, the cranberries, evanescence was pretty good with the rock genre. But not not all around. Like blk people music.

• i'm a black guy who likes music typically made by white people

there is no such thing as white music or black music. it's just music. i know tons of people of all races that love all types of music

but if we want to follow the narrative. i suppose some black people feel like rap and r&b and blues specifically speak more to things they relate to

• I think it has to do with people liking music they can dance to and those are the only types around right now that they can dance to.
    I would say that some don't like other types of music.
    I had one African - American friend in HS who loved hard Rock and heavy metal music as well.

• Because it's not "cool" to like white music.

• I like all stuff which sounds good and chill. Not that party edm without melody stuff.
    *We're afraid of acting white. That doesn't show that you earn respect.
    *We're also liking music where you can dance and sounds good. Not repetitive edm.
    *We're as in we black people but i don't.

• I think it's because of pride.

• Omg I don't know but I like black music lol

• I don't even like white music LOL, and I'm white.

• Because, Justin Bieber. 'Nuff said.

• 19d

For every Justin Bieber there's a Soulja Boy, so your point is invalid.

• Racism!

• Not true, I am black and I like metal.

• I had a black friend who listened to folk, metal and hard rock and hated "nigga music" . But is not very common

• I'm white and I hate "black" music.

• 19d

Black music comes in different forms. And I'm not talking about Hip Hop nor R&B 😊