Do you listen to music for the lyrics or the beat?

i could spend all day listening to lyrics.

• lyrics
  • beat
  • depends
  • other

What Guys Said 30

• Both, but the lyrics are really what tie the song together, for me. Like "Calling The Rain" by Eluveitie. The instrumentals aren't my favorite, but the lyrics make it one of my favorite songs. Fuckin' profound, to me.

Music is self-expression. They lyrics are the subjective translation of the feel of the music; the music is the translation of the lyrics. They both have to meld properly in order to create something worth listening, to me. The better they meld, the better the song, in my opinion.

• Depends on the genre. If it's EDM, then just for the beat. If it's Rap, I prefer the lyrics, that's why old school rap is better, but since today's rap lyrics suck, then I just listen for the beat.

• I listen for the beats.

• I always love a good melody, and the beat, lyrics are not that important, but I prefer electronic music, so the lyrics are usually secondary element.

• fortunately there is a lot more music in the world than just the repetitive songs you hear on the radio. there is a lot more to music than just lyrics or beat

in good songs you hear something new every time you listen to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8BmqLtMd-c

• Most of the music I listen to, I listen to for months before even realizing what theyre saying. Then I either like the song more or get annoyed by it.

• For me, it depends on the day.

• Maybe slightly more the beat though not literally. A like a song with a nice melody or rhytm more than one with a real "beat" :o
    No loud music for me, and I like to hear someone with a good voice :D

• That is quite a terrible question, because:
    > Not all music has lyrics;
    > Not all music with lyrics is written in a language that I can understand, or in any language, for that matter;
    > Not all music has a beat.

I listen to music for the music; I love lots of instrumental music, but in the case of music with vocals, I tend to pay attention to the melodies more than what is being said.

• only the beat. most of the time I don't even understand most of the text anyway. it needs to sound good, that's the only thing I care about

• Firat and foremost, I listen to music for the singer. I do not listen to radio or individual songs. i only liaten to complete albums.

When you do that, you only do so if you like most of the songs on the album. After that, for me it is a combination of both lyrics and music. There are certain genres that are music to my ears and there are others that are complete rubbish.

• First beat, then lyrics... no point in lyrics if it sounds like cancer

• BOTH of course!

• Melody and lyrics, That's why I love this song. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HBejtnOUjNk

• Both actually ;) Listen to this and tell me which you listen to cuz i listen to both
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9VFg44H2z8

• Unless there is a good lyrics , i may not appreciate the music fully. But I do listen to classical instrumental music having different beats. When i sleep at night i put instrumental classical music.

• I mostly care about instruments.

• A good tune is what catches me, and maybe later I'll figure out what the lyrics are. I always liked the tune of Lola by the Kinks, but didn't realize until recently that Lola was a cross-dressing guy!

• I'm a big YouTube fan and i like to listen to the lyrics of a song.

• Depends

• It depends on the type of music I listen to at the time.

• I like the beat but I listen to reggaeton to help me learn to speak Spanish

• As a musician both. I'm fascinated with every aspect of a song that to get its essance I absorb all

• Really depends what kind of music it is.

• Well I listen to rock and metal mostly, so in place of "beat" I place more attention to the rythm section (drums, bass) and guitar riffs/solos. Obviously I need to dig the singer's voice but I tend to pay more attention to lyrics much later on.

• Usually the beat. I listen to maybe 75% non-lyrical music with hypnotic rythyms, such as this: https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=MRd0ezQdCJ4

• Really both but more so the beat. I'm trying to learn how to create my own so I pay attention to the beats more.

• For the beat.

• I listen for the instrumental music.
    And rarely for the lyrics.
    "for the beat" ? What does THAT mean?

• Generally I like something with a good tune to the lyrics. What the lyrics say isn't so important, but it must have lyrics with a good tune

What Girls Said 14

• If I'm doing something, then I'm usually listening to it for the noise, so the beat.

But if I've picked out a song specifically, it's either because I REALLY like the beat, or it's just a really good song usually with good lyrics.

(Like P! NKs songs. They are all really good, beat wise, and I have never needed to complain abotu any of her lyrics)

• Both. But lyrics are most important to me and I don't like songs with bad lyrics.

• Generally for the lyrics, or the melody

• I like both, but I tend to value song with better lyrics but a weak beat over songs with a good beat but shitty lyrics.

Currently, Simple Plan - Opinion Overload is my favorite song because I the beat is good and the lyrics are relatable, especially "You’re so tough throwing punches with your words. You think you’re clever, let me tell you that you’re not the first, say something I haven’t heard yet"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDklgJ3MCx0

• Normally, just the beats, but if I think it's a really good meaningful/interesting song then I look up the lyrics.

• Lyrics if the lyrics are for shit then I'm not listening

• I just like to sing along, I don't really care what it's about as long as it's comprehensible

• The beat. A nice voice is welcome too but I'm not too fussed about lyrics.

• The beat

• Depends

• Depends. When im working out, beat. Otherwise it's the lyrics

• Depends on the music...

• I love instrumentals! I love lots of music genres actually but instrumentals are the bomb!

• I concentrate much more on the melodies/rhythm/beat.