Would you support the idea of an LGBTTIQQ2S Disney princess?

Would you support the idea of an LGBTTIQQ2S Disney princess?Would you prefer a Disney princess who was Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transsexual, Transgendered, Intersexual, Queer, Questioning, or 2-Spirited, etc? If so, this will make you happy:

http://www.seventeen.com/celebrity/movies-tv/news/a43864/the-creator-of-moana-says-an-lgbt-disney-princess-could-definitely-happen-soon/

I realize these designations are a reality of our modern age. But I also like how traditional the Disney films have always been and want to keep them that way. That may sound close-minded but to me it's the same as not wanting to see a weird piece of modern art hanging in Buckingham Palace or hear a techno dance soundtrack played during church services. certain things dont go together, and a transsexual Disney "princess" in a fairytale setting would probably stick out badly. Plus, romantic love often plays a huge role in the Disney stories and, like it or not, a romance between two girls or two dudes is qualitatively different than a traditional romance.

Disney is the closest thing to "traditional" as you can get in mainstream pop culture, since tradition is quickly dying out. Does it really need to be modernized like this?

• Yes, it's time to reform Disney and its hetero-centric propaganda so that it finally appeals to ALL viewers
  • No, they should keep it traditional as the fairytales always were. Not everything needs to be modernized
  • Dunno
    Vote C

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 21

• Absolutely not.

People have enough problem working out "what they are" without embedding it into them at a young age that they need to think about it.

Let them be kids, enjoy the stories. Did any of us ever kiss coma patients hoping for true love? Adopt dwarfs? Try and date a hairy bear? Used our hair to climb out of a tower? No. Disney should be kept cartoons and light heartened, I don't see why (other than money) we have to do Disney with real people.

• 8d

To the person who downvoted me (which I suspect is you Asker) let me ask you a question.

When you were 3,4,5 years old, were you going "ewww it should be two men" or "ewww two women"? Im guessing probably not.
      Kids don't care. And if we go down the traditional route, they will have a mummy and a daddy. If they saw two men or two women it might confuse them. After all, mummy and daddy kiss so why don't the TV do it the same?

Most people put Disney on for their babies and toddlers. Don't raise them with more questions than needed. They can ask and be educated later but not that early.

• 6d

I didn't downvote you. Think it's clear from the wording of my question that I am critical of having LGBTQ princes/princesses in Disney. Good to see majority agrees.

• 6d

Ah then it's 1 male on the hunt for everyone who has this viewpoint. My apologies, i tend to think if there is 1 gender giving all likes or all dislikes it's usually the asker.

• I don't support it. Let's keep the political agendas for later when they're older.

• I don't see any problem with adding diversity to Disney. No reason why all the heroes and princesses have to be straight.

• I will support anything that people wish to "buy". They are adults not children, I am not their mommy and I am not obliged to tell them what they should want. I'll make myself compatible with their appetite and make my profit anyway.

Whether I choose to show what they choose to watch and nurture their children with them to my children, to accept what they accept as an idea in my personal life and within my family, that is my choice, not other people's.

So yes, I will certainly support it if the people want it.

• depends~

is it an existing story being adapted to disney? leave it alone, for the sake of literary/artistic integrity.

is it a new story, being specifically written for a modern audience? then yes, go to town! i'm sure kids of all stripes could do with seeing more people like them in movies.

• 7d

The existing stories Disney tells are always adapted anyways. Even before they got to Disney they probably went through all sorts of changes. As far as folk tales go, there's rarely one "correct" version of the story. So one more change really isn't going to hurt, especially for the sake of inclusivity.

• leave Disney alone. contrary to the politically correct way of thinking, there are things that little kids do not need to be looking at until they are old enough to understand. please stop trying to change their innocence and let them just be children.

• 6d

It is about love. I want to see love that resembles my love. Gay love is no more adult than straight love... It isn't like if they were gay characters they'd be fucking...

• 6d

@Zendrya if you don't understand my position, see Phoenix 98 below. I agree with him 100%.

• Yes, definitely. LGBTQ+ people exist in real life, so it's just plain discriminatory to exclude them from media.

• I voted B but wouldn't be surprised if it was coming based on the uber politically correct and protestcentric sociaty we live in

• 7d

I agree. As I said in my reply it will eventually come when the world is fully governed by milleanials and us (I'm 28 btw) older folks are long gone.

• I would like to see them make up a new story about lesbian princesses. I don't want them to do remakes of current fairytales. Just something new.

• 7d

Why no remakes of existing stories? That's done all the time. I mean, just compare the original version of the little mermaid to the disney version. Or look at Peter Pan. Really any existing story disney's made a movie of.

• 1d

Lol you're trying to make two different issues into the same one. Making a gay character straight isn't a problem because it changes the story, it's a problem because there's so little LGBTQ+ representation in the first place that taking any away makes a huge impact. It's like having two bowls of M&Ms. Bowl A is straight representation in stories, it’s got eighty fucking bags of M&Ms in it. Bowl B is non-straight representation in stories. It has like … six M&Ms in it. If you take four M&Ms out of each fucking bowl, one more is going to be WAY MORE NOTICEABLE, isn’t it?

The issue is whether the story is actually majorly influenced by that particular trait of a character or not. Like, in Miss Saigon, the story would be hugely changed by changing her character like that. But in Cinderella? Every important aspect of the story would still be intact were the prince to be changed to be another princess.

• 1d

Look, clearly not every character in every story can have their race or sexuality changed without affecting the story. I'm not arguing that. Like if some story features a white member of the KKK or some shit, clearly they can't be made black without an issue. But that's not how it is with most fairy tales. In most fairy tales, the sexuality of the characters is not a major plot point of the story, and could easily be changed without altering the actual story. If you honestly can't understand that, I really don't know what to tell you.

• Meh, sure, I don't really see any reason why not.

• No... ugh. Why ruin everything? 😒😒

• I think the labels should have stopped after the first Q. It stands for 'queer', which basically means it's supposed to cover everything else that's not specified by the norm or the most standard variants.

I think a LGBTQ disney movie would be great, but only if it was just a new story. Don't modify an existing heterosexual one, let the old ones be the way they were intended when they were written.

• I would not be in favor of that. It should be kept traditional.

• As long as they don't make a traditional princess a lesbian... like if Elsa is a lesbian I'd be okay, but if they made Cinderella a lesbian I'd be upset because they'd literately have to change the story.

• 7d

Like the original story? It's gone through all sorts of changes anyways. Pretty much every traditional fairy tale has like ten different versions.

• 6d

@cipher42 Lol never said that. I have several gay friends, and have kissed Dudes lol. There is legit photo evidence of me kissing both a man and a woman. I just don't believe that politics should be in media

• 6d

Politics shouldn't be in media? So acknowledging the existence of LGBT people is too political? Buddy, have you actually ever seen any tv drama at all? They're ALL at least somewhat political. If we took politics out of media, we'd have to eliminate basically everything but kids shows, and even some of those.

• They should make movies based on good stories, if it includes lgbt characters then go ahead and make it.

• Absolutely not.

• Yes, it's the 21st century

• 8d

Plus if you keep something the same, it gets boring. Look at the music industry, always evolving

• 8d

So a story set in the 15th century should look and feel like the 21st century?

Yes, music keeps evolving but we still have classical music and our definition of an "orchestra", with strings, horn section, woodwinds, etc., has stayed pretty much the same.

• 8d

There will be new Disney movies that have LGBTQ characters. It's business and business always evolve and have fresh new ideas. Disney movies in the past would not always about princesses. There was one that was dark. The Black Cauldron

• Fuck no. We don't need this wasting Disney, even though disney is an evil corporation.

• I'm all for gay/bi/lesbians in Disney but I don't support trans.

• 8d

That sounds kinda prejudiced. Are you a bigot towards transgender people?

• 7d

@TheFlak38 I have nothing against them. I just don't believe in disfiguring your body over misguided views. I have serious doubts any trans people would exist if gender norms were done away with. And showing that to young kids that think they're different because they like more "boy" or "girl" things is dangerous in my opinion.

• 7d

So then you're transphobic. A bigot.

• HELL TO THE FUCK NOOO!!

• This world is going to hell...

What Guys Said 28

• Nope 100% agaisnt it, keep politics and group agenda's out of it for gods sake children watch these. They are supposed to be like the old medieval fairy tales and legends that's what they are based off of keep them that way. Plus I don't want to have to explain to my 3 year old ( when I have one ) why that girl is kissing that other girl.

Doing that is a form of brainwashing and suggestive thinking because children minds are easily molded and manipulated and vulnerable to outside suggestions. And I want my children to have no part in that.

• 8d

You wouldn't have to explain, they're kissing because they like each other. And please do tell me: how is the existence of non-straight people in movies a political agenda? They exist and they have love stories, I'm sure as society progresses, they'll be normalized in movies without people (like you) thinking their existence is wrong. But I can't say I'm surprised at this kind of answer from you.

• 7d

you're right. i was very fortunate to have grown up in the 90's. i wish it was still like that but, unfortunately, we live with sick, deluded pigs.

• Fairytales shouldn't have huge changes like that. If they wanna create a new story, then fine, I'm ok with a gay/lesbian prince/princess, but lets keep it to 2 genders, like in real life.

• 7d

The original version of Snow White the queen ended up being forced to dance herself to death wearing red hot shoes. Stories change, it's just part of how they work. Folk tales are changed as they pass from culture to culture, generation to generation. Making a character like Cinderella a lesbian isn't a huge and unprecedented change, it's a much needed modernization of a fairy tale that has already gone through plenty of changes as times change.

• 7d

@cipher42 I did answer the question. What the believed matters more than if it existed or not, because back then, the thought it DID exist. They thought what they believed was reality.
      YOU believe that homosexuality is ok, right? That's YOUR reality. Ask a very religious person and they'll tell you God will punish homosexuals. That's THEIR reality.
      Back then, people believed magical creatures lived in the forest. That was THEIR reality.
      Like I've set multiple times, you can't expect to create a good story set on the Medieval times when you want to change what they believed in, what made the Medieval period... the Medieval.

It would be less legitimate because it's not the same thing! If you want to make a movie based on a EUROPEAN fairytale and want to make it right, you can't change important things. Imagine the movie Cinderella, the one Disney made, and instead of Cinderella being blonde, she's Chinese. How much sense would that make? NONE. It makes no sense!

• 7d

I quite honestly doubt that people in the 1600s believed that pumpkins could turn into carriages and that fairy god mothers existed. And if they did believe in any such things, it was in the context of evil witches, not kind fairies. And actually, there's plenty of records of homosexual people in that time period.

• Not at all. That behavior should not be normalized for children.

• I think they should make good movies. I've watched good gay and lesbian romance movies. You don't have to be gay to appreciate a good love story.

• It should have one normal character who's L or G or B, sure why not

They can leave out the "Transsexual, Transgendered, Intersexual, Queer, Questioning, or 2-Spirited" though.

Especially considering 2-spirited people are just confused sexist people.

• Definitely not. This LGBT stuff has NOTHING to do in child-shows nor in child-education.

It's plenty of difficult enough for kids to figure themselves out - so they shouldn't either be overwhelmed with fringe cases nor should those fringe cases be made as something normal since they aren't.

Plus if a child gets teached to be a respectful and friendly adult - then the argument about "if they don't learn about it they will become hateful" is just pointless.

• I say keep these Disney characters traditional for the youngsters. But I also know that Disney the company has drunk the SJW kool-ade and it's just a matter of time until they come out with an in-your-face film.

• Depends on what you mean by support. I think its a dumb idea and have no intention of ever watching it, but I am not going to protest in the streets or try to prevent other people from watching it.

• No, of course not. Gays and lesbians have taken the TV spotlight for the last 10 years or so, and that's... ok we know there's an agenda being pushed down people's throats, so whatever.

But no, the stories should not be altered. I am not interested nor I think I'd show my kid The Lion Queer, The White Priviledged and the Seven Mysogynists, The Beauty and The Dyke, Furrytopia, Alladin's Jihad, The Feminist Book, Cinderella and the 1%... or whatever fucking bullshit liberal title they'll come up with.

Trust me the new stories about the gays and transgender princesses will come when the idiotic millenial mentality takes completely over in some years and most of us older folk are long gone.

• Doing this kind of thing can make people feel uncomfortable, I go to movies to relax, not to be given out to by do gooders who bang on about lgbt?+ characters or heteronormative characters. Incidentally, has there been a fat disney princess, why does it have to be a sexual identity? There are more people struggling with weight issues than there are sexuality issues. In case you're wondering, Mulan is Bisexual apparently.

• What the fuck is that acronym? Do they really have so many forms of mental illness included in their list now?

• 7d

Honey, I think you need to go look up what a mental illness actually is.

• Look at the degeneracy in this comments section. That's really what some people wish for their children. When the suffering begins (both mentally and physically) they wonder why this happens.

• These people exist in the real world, so why not in entertainment?

• Let's see, the LGBTQ is real unlike most things that people see in Disney. How do both?

• I don't care either way.

• I thought the blonde one in Frozen was a lesbian. Was that just a rumor?

• I dont watch tv so i dont care. I would not go see a normal disney movie let alone one of these degenerate ones.

• Forcing it for the sake of doing it makes it token.

• 7d

No one is talking about forcing it, only including LGBTQ+ people, since they do after all exist in real life and thus should be represented in media. If anything, what's been going on in media is forced exclusion.

• sure why not

• Yes, I'm still waiting for an asexual/aromantic princess/prince.

• 8d

Not judging you at all, I just have a question.
      Would you want them to say that they're asexual, or would a prince without a princess simply suffice?

• 8d

Not very good reactions then. He would have to admit he's asexual at least once.

• 6d

Apparently there is no love interest in Moana. Elsa in Frozen had no love interest either. And in Maleficent, Sleeping Beauty was awakened not by a prince's kiss but by another woman. This is becoming a sad new Disney trend: no fairytale romance allowed in fairytales anymore, since we only want tough, strong, independent females who depend on no one but themselves.

• >LGBTTIQQ2S
    what the fuck happened

• What the f.. ?

Hell no.

• They already have one with Elsa and Anna. In frozen 2 those two will be lesbians that don't trust men.

• Disney is going to cater to the majority. Despite what media will try and say the LGBTQ+ community still only makes up a minority of the population. No business chooses to cater to the minority of it's buyers and not focus on the majority. Maybe if there are more LGBTQ+ kids in the future than there are heterosexual then they'll do that.

Disney is in the money making business not the political statements business.

• I swear to God that abbreviation gets longer every time I read it.

At this point, you're just asking for a shock from Mike "if you like it in the crapper, you get the zapper" Pence

pics.onsizzle.com/...rect-setings-home-6302822.png

• Why not it would be interesting to see of young girls will see it and buy the merchandise, if not it won't happen again.

• This reminded me of hentai. There are already lesbian versions of Disney princesses in hentai. And gay versions of all straight Disney characters exist in Hentai.

• Since it's Disney, as long as they're not Jewish... know your Disney history!

• 8d

Lol! Walt may have hated Jews but I'm not sure what he'd say about gays.

• 8d

What if it was a Jewish gay?