What is the most solid, best movie you have seen?

NOT your favorite, the best one you have seen. Best storytelling, cinematography, soundtrack, acting, etc. Mine: "The Shawshank Redemption", "Schindler's List", and "Forrest Gump"... I know I'm missing some, these are just a few.

6d Update...

Most Helpful Girl

• the shawshank redempton, dead poet society (everything Robin Williams)

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd say Terminator II: Judgement Day. The performances, effects, cinematography, sequencing... where revolutionary for its time. James Cameron really pushed it, alog with The Abyss.

Other choices might be:
    Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (absolute favorite Star Wars).
    The Dark Knight
    Agree on Schindler's List. Lets throw in Jaws, the first two Indiana Jones (Temple of Doom is underrated af), and Jurassic Park just because Spelielberg's earlier work was awesome.
    Big Fish (beautiful film).
    Alien (THE sci-fi horror film).

What Girls Said 13

What Guys Said 13

• Conan the Barbarian is a film I use to teach people what it means for a film to be "well-directed." All you have to do is watch it on mute and you can still follow the story and you know who's who and who wants what and what's going on with no music, dialogue, or audio of any kind. It's Operatic. The sequels were directed by other people and are nowhere near as good, but the original Conan the Barbarian is a masterpiece and when you get around to watching it with the volume on, it has one of the best film scores ever composed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9icM1Wth1o

Even Arnold does a good job in this movie, and you know that took a brilliant director who knew what he was working with, because Arnold is a terrible actor. James Earl Jones' turn as Thulsa Doom is much more inspired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgN1sLcAQnw

• 6d

I agree with the idea that the mark of a well written script is if you can tell what's going on with the sound off.

• 3d

I actually liked Prometheus. I suspect that most of the people who saw it thought it would be X, but they got Y, and were disappointed. I thought it had good themes about creation, life, and belief.

• 3d

@Editor All I expected was a good sci-fi movie with no plot holes.

• the usual suspects to me still holds up as one of the best films ever
    the first two godfather movies try cinematic masterpieces

• I consider Shawshenk Redemption one of the best movies ever made. Forrest Gump is another one, plus this movie has really amazing soundtrack.
    And I can't forget about Matrix. Whole trilogy is really awesome, but first part I consider as the best one.

• Lego movie!

• Best overall is probably Double Indemnity. Runners-up are The Third Man, Lone Star, Night on Earth, Pitch Black, and Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Structurally, the best *script* is, believe it or not, Robocop. Very, very well ordered.

• "Taxi Driver" would be up there as well.

• Back to the Future.

• addition to your list, avatar, titanic, Batman tdk, Schindler's list, 12 angry men,,...

• The Godfather 1and 2
    Goodfellas
    Shawshank redemption
    Forrest Gump
    The revenant
    12 angry men
    Seven
    Good will hunting
    Gone baby gone
    It's a wonderful life
    Casablanca
    The Unforgiven
    Ip man
    Seven samurai
    Halloween
    Just to name a few

• Shawshank redemption, Forrest Gump, Inception, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, Fight Club, Star Wars series, The Godfather series. These are my favorite movies

• Hacksaw Ridge.

• Gone girl , best plot twist

• I can give a whole list here, like I would for my favourites.

Back to the Future
    Indiana Jones
    Forrest Gump
    Braveheart
    Kingdom of Heaven
    The revenant
    Mad Max Fury Road (I didn't like this one but I understand it's a good one from a filmmaking point of view)

Shutter Island (this must have been very difficult to film)
    Inception
    Interstellar

• 6d

By the way, most people here have no idea what a good movie is.