Do you agree that Video games are Art?

Do you agree that Video games are Art?

• Yes
    88%(38)84%(75)Vote80%(37)
  • No
    12%(5)16%(14)Vote20%(9)

Most Helpful Girl

• Of course. They can be very complex and interesting stories as well as the graphic design, concept art, environments, character models being completely beautiful.

Most Helpful Guy

• i think it depends. is madden football really art? not especially but some video games are certainly high on artistic merit either from the story or to the graphic images they contain

so some are definitely art in my opinion. but some are not

Sponsored

What Girls Said 13

• I think some video games can clearly be classified sa having an element of art in fact that is a lot of their appeal. I think there are some that are about as artistic as a dishwasher. That doesn't mean they are useless or serve no purpose, much like the dishwasher it still has a purpose.

• I don't think that most people would contradict that the concept ART or the graphic design are.. well.. art.

As the player, you aren't really partaking in that. You're enjoying the experience. There is definitely a lot of artistic talent involved in creating a good video game, though.

• umm the room is art…. tommy wiseau is an amazing artist….
    Your pic is mocking the most amazing movie ever

• As an artist working on a video game... Yes, I would say so. It shouldn't even be a question, really.

• Of course. There's 3D modeling, concept art, pixel art, animations... An artist works on it, yes, it's art. It's part of the game.

• Yassss!!! ALWAYS ART!!!

• Yes. And omg death stranding... I want it now 😭😭😭😭

• Video games ARE art to me.

• Its. creativity

• Well... yeah... I mean there's graphics and pretty colors... soooo ('-' )

• They are the 10th art, and films/movies are the 7th

• Yes!

• 100t agree with you. Video games and the process of making them is an art. Cooking is an art form too in my book.

What Guys Said 18

• Yes they should 100% be classified as art! The fact our government doesn't classify them as art truly shows how out of touch our system is due to majority of government workers over the age of 50 which is not the target demographic for video games and has never had the chance to play video games in their lifetimes due to always being older than the trends

• I completely agree, if comics and graffiti are considered a form of art, then video games should be too.

• Those who say it isn't don't really know much about video games.
    Video games have different elements that on their own are art, so why when put together into a game, it suddenly isn't art? That's bs.

• Yes, some video games are a compilation of visual art, and musical art!

The Kingdom Hearts series are good examples. I would say Kingdom Hearts 2 has the best soundtrack I ever heard in a video game!

• Don't shit on my movie, asshole

• Videogames are art, because of the work, patience, and everything else that goes into it. Videogames like That Dragon, Cancer are especially artistic

• Yes they are, only gamers can truly appreciate this art. You are never too old to play video games.

• Well our government is filled with ill technical employees that do not consider gaming an art form and also have no clue how the internet works as well!

• @Tetroy Video games are still kind of new, it might take a few more years before video games become a similar hobby to fitness.

• Well that is a good point to!

• dont know about that, but video games are awesome as hell for sure

• Well if its not art then what would you call it?

• Yes I do.

• Yes. Unfortunately, as opposed to traditional art, video games creep into people's minds and festers. Paralyzing any creativity people might have and allowing the games to think for them. There's a reason girls are frustrated with guys obsessed with video games. They get abused, immoderate. Like any other addiction. It cripples/ends any relationships you might have.

In my youth, I came out of weekend long sprees, dawn til dusk of games and literally felt dumber when returning to work/school on following Monday. Here's an excellent thread on it: m.reddit.com/.../

So yeah, video games are art. Art overload. Without the deep appreciation.

• I speak for myself of course. But if you can find a greater appreciation of every single frame at near the speec of light, more power to you. You're a better man than I most likely.

• That's not to say I'm gonna give up games entirely. I still love problem solving and the ability to act out things I am curious to try. (Space Flight, 3D Creativity, Tactical Operations Command etc.) I know I'm different to other people, but that's just why i like games. Also yeah some games are really pretty and great to play, so that's good too.
      G2G now, but thanks for the talk! Good points

• @Ocean88 Most people say adults can handle things in moderation. But there is nothing wrong with quitting cold turkey. There's only so much to learn and so many ways you can beat your opponent. There's a whole world outside that although it doesn't look near as elaborate as a polished video game on the outside, it can still be just as fulfilling to learn what you can, just takes imagination. You're lucky at your age because relatively everything is a new experience. As you get older, you tend to take on more and more complex problems as you become more experienced. Just in human nature.

Kind of a part of how to maintain healthy relationships. You don't want overexposure to people, even women you love. It's the tragic part of romance. You're there for each other for stability and support, as you both face life's challenges independently.

You'll have plenty of authority over your life soon enough. You'll probably be saying the same thing the rest of us do: "s*** is hard, but good."

• Well Es I can't think of one logical reason not

• Yes, animation is art. The game is also an art.

• Everything in the universe is art in my opinion.

• No I don't. They are as much art as movies. Sure some movies can be described as artistic so can some video games. Overall no I don't agree inherently Video games are art. Many even call Anime (Japanese cartoons) art, which it is not.

• They certainly have artistic elements. Fine art, no. But popular art, yes.

• Video games are divine instruments.

• 'Pends on the game, but mostly yes.