Do you listen to classical music?

My favorite compositor is probably Astor Piazolla, just because of the energetic and darker sound he conveys in his compositions.

Of the greats I listen to Stravinsky, Mahler and Bach, and Beethoven in that particular order. Not really into Mozart, his compositions mostly put me to sleep.

• Yes (favorite?)
    61%(11)70%(21)Vote83%(10)
  • Not really. As background music.
    33%(6)27%(8)Vote17%(2)
  • Not in the slightest.
    0%(0)0%(0)Vote0%(0)
  • Been meaning to get into it.
    6%(1)3%(1)Vote0%(0)
You can also select classical compositors for movies like for example:

Danny Elfman (Batman, Nightmare Before Christmas, Beetlejuice, Spider Man)
Hans Zimmer (The Dark Knight, Man Of Steel/Batman V. Superman, Inception, Interstellar)
John "Fuckin'" Williams (Star Wars, ET, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones)
etc...
Well, it's a lonely world I guess

i2.kym-cdn.com/.../...ace20110725-22047-wlaopv.png

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

Sponsored

What Girls Said 10

• I hit yes - I do listen to it everyday... but I'm listening to myself play it on piano, does that count? Beethoven is the best fun - so much passion and energy and conflict!
    My favourite composer to actually just listen to is Phillip Glass - exquisitely moving and haunting, the man is a consummate genius

• I tried playing piano once and ended up crying in my pillow. It's hard! I found it a total hassle trying to coirdinate my hand movements, though at least I learned basic music reading.

• I'm a fan of Piazollas oblivion. I have a few renditions in my playlists.

I'm also a fan of Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Handel, and lots of other random works but Tchaikovskys symphonies are my favourite.

Modern day composers (though I hesitate to call them classical 😁) I really admire are Nobuo Uematsu, Joe hiaishi, Yoko Shinomura, and other random artists and random works.

• There are quite a few people don't know of. And it's hard to track down their work sometimes. I think I need to listen to more Tchaikovsky 😄

• Yeah there's a LOT. I'm also a fan of Borodin and Shostakovich. Maybe just Russian classical in general lol. Its very comforting, for some reason.

• I like Antonín Dvorák, Aaron Copeland, Gershwin and a plethora of others.

• Only every day. I like Rossini and Tchaikovsky best. Danny Elfman is certainly my favorite composer though, the man's a bloody genius, I recognize his style even in lesser known movies. Where there's a great soundtrack, it's usually Elfman or John Williams.

• One more composer I love is Shostakovich, his jazz waltzes and suites are quite lovely.

• Yes, I like Shostakovich a lot too. I think I need to listen to him more.
      WhatbI find hilarious about Danny Elfman is that he wasn't trained in classical music, he learned after he left an 80's rock band he was in (check it out is hysterical, weird af). He has a very distinctive theatrical tone to what he does. Def up there with my favorites.

• Yes I do every now and then

• yeah ı love it - bethoween moonlight
    ı also love - yiruma

• I do listen to it occasionally. My favorite composers are Bach and Mozart.

• Yes..

• Yes, I do. I like Mozart's music.

• compositor... lol

What Guys Said 16

• I've tried listening to modern classical music, and it's ok, but I don't think it provides me enough mental stimulation. Maybe it's my 2010s low-attention-span mind, but I need thoughtful lyrics, more speed, and more shifting from low to high notes. Even in big cities, symphony audiences get smaller and smaller because interest only wanes. I mean, I saw people below mention Mozart and Bach, but can anyone even name a modern classical music composer who doesn't do movie music? This is the ultimate in niche markets and the symphonies can't survive if they have to do Beethoven's 5th every other season.

• Unfortunately, this is true. To be fair, what I listen the most is rock and metal music, and any subgenre of either probably. I listen to music all the time, so when I feel overstaturated I listen to classical music.
      The only reason I appreciate it is because I grew up listening to it because of my father and uncles, and they took me to the theater often. I guess eventually, it may as well become completely obsolete in the sense that other than for history probably and acknowledgement of music basics, no one will actually sit and listen to it. And may be exclusive to movie soundtracks in terms of new compositions. I know there is a counter culture with people promoting classical music in social media and such, but that may not be enough.

• Hans Zimmer is beyond this planet!

• I would say about every two years

• John Powell
    https://youtu.be/-Snuy-Pm5oA

Otherwise I'll load up Vivaldi on Spotify here and there.

• Whoa, I haven't checked his contributions. Sounds pretty good, I usually go for this darker sound.

• Sure I do, especially this one. I don't know If I like it cause of its name huh 😎

https://youtu.be/oAHRp7jjaOg

• Yes! I love Baroque

• Bach!

• of course! i love impressionist era music.

https://youtu.be/GKkeDqJBlK8

• Didn't peg you for a classic listener is it only the impressionists you like?

• @Phoenix98 haha I feel like it's impossible to find bad composers. All of them are forgotten. The ones we honor and still listen too were the best of their times.

So amazing how their music still exists today.

• True there weren't very man bad ones that we know of or maybe there were and that's why we haven't heard their music lmao. I do have a playlist on youtube dedicated to nothing but unknown or lesser known composers if you want it, lot of gems hidden in there.

And indeed it is, it's a testament to their musical talents as composers. I'm sure you know of Gustav Holst in a way his music lives on in hollywood since a lot of composers take his work and either modify it and use it in movies or are inspired by his work. If your a star wars fan and you've listened to Holsts The Planets then you'll defiantly hear similarities in the melodies of Star Wars and The Planets, Mars the Bringer of War sounds a lot like the imperials while Venus the Bringer of Peace the Jedi. And so on.

• Yeah sometimes depends what you consider classic though do you consider Zack Hemsley as classic?

• I'm listening to it. there's definitely a fussion there of classical and contemporary hip hop. Sounds interesting, but only cause I'm not a purist when it comes to classical music. I know of people who would probably feel insulted of this lol

• kay then lol then I choose moon light sonata by Beethoven and marching band by him as well.

• It was actually a pretty good rec

• Piazolla is great! I like his song "Oblivion". Except tango is not classical music.

I listen to a lot of baroque composers like Bach and Vivaldi.

• I like Vivaldi too, but definitely prefer Bach.
      Well, no. Not exactly classical, I guess it depends on the arrangement too.

• I can enjoy them all but I tend to like Wagner more because of his opera themes.

• Kind of, actually

• Yes I listen to classical music sometimes.

• I do I enjoy Mozart, Beethoven, Handel

• It's wonderful stuff to concentrate and focus the mind while studying.

• Yeah I mean pretty much all those update ones and what you originally mentioned are really great tunes. Tschacovisky as well. I think this type of music is for us guys who are the creme de la creme. The ones women really want ;-)