Is the situation the same with Playstation or X-box as it is with new PC games that require you to have the latest software in place for new games?

I hate how the gaming and the computer industry is trying to milk us for every single thing!

• Yes, Playstation and X-box all require new versions to play new games!
    67%(2)50%(10)Vote47%(8)
  • No, if you have an old Playstation or X-box it's going to play a new game excellently!
    33%(1)50%(10)Vote53%(9)
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

You wanna know if you can play games if you don't have the latest firmware version installed?

0|0
    0|0
    • I know I can't play new games on a PC I bought 5 years ago... no matter how state of the art the graphics card and the drivers were then... so I'm asking is if you can, for example, play games for the latest Playstation on Playstation 1... Or if you can play the newest games for X-box on the first or second X-box ever released... or does that work on a smiliar principle as the PC games and the PC itself - constant upgrading is needed? (Or buying a new one...)

• Show All
    • shitty English, sry for that lol

• thanks for MHO

Most Helpful Girl

• If you're asking if games made for newer consoles can be played on their predecessors, the answer is no. In fact, newer games usually CAN be played on older PCs too but they'll just lag a lot and look shitty with a lot of glitches. Most current gen consoles don't even let you do that. They're in no way backward compatible.

1|0
    0|0
Sponsored

What Guys Said 20

• Nope, considering that PC's really do have an excuse with how fast they advance.
    Also Use steam and get your games cheaper

1|0
    0|0
    • Oh, so you can play a new Playstation game equally as well without lagging on an old Playstation set?

• If you mean a ps4 game on a ps3 nope.
      If you mean a first model ps4 yes.
      Also Consoles generally have framerate locks at 30 fps whereas in a pc game thats considered unacceptable oftentimes

• Okay, thank you for clearing it up. Nice to know getting a Ps won't really make things any better. :(

• You have to have the latest version of the Playstation or the Xbox to play the latest games. However, once you have the latest version then any software updates are free. A new generation of each games console usually launches about once every couple of years. So you will always have that time window at least where you can play any game that is for that console.

The problem with PC gaming is that your setup can become obsolete in six months unless you future proof it. Games come out all the time which push the specs for PC gaming. To really be able to compete with the best online gamers you would have to spend a LOT more than you would on a console.

1|0
    0|0
  • Your question is a bit confusing. There are software updates for xbox 360 and ps3 that may or may not be required but ps4 and xbox one require an internet connection to download and install new updates to play the games, this process with the newer systems can take a considerable amount of time depending on your internet connection. Does that help?

1|0
    0|0
  • As far as I know PS4 and XBOX One cannot play their previous generation console games by putting their discs in. E. G. PS4 will not play games from PS3 discs and XBox One has limited backward compatibility with XBOX 360's games. These days you would have to subscribe to their online service and download selected titles available on there in order to play previous generations console's games.

Other than that, if you play online you must have the latest software update patches installed for the games and the latest system update.

0|0
    0|0
  • This is the normal growth of hardware. When software gets better you need better hardware to run it. At least with PC you can just upgrade certain parts instead of buying a totally new console. There will be a point when you are better off buying a new pc though.

1|0
    0|0
  • At this moment, yes the PS4 makes u have the latest update before you can run the game!

I know how people are bitching and complaining about companies are "milking the consumers". But keep this in mind: with inflation the way it is right now, it is a fucking miracle that a new release game on a console each generation, has costs $50-60.

Video games are becoming more expensive to make. Video game studios have shut down and some have merged with others.

A new release game, in the current climate, including the inflation that has happened with EVERY other product and service out there... should cost about $75 for a standard edition.

But the developers know their customers would get sticker shock, and not buy the game at that price, and sales would dramatically drop.

So that's why the game is released with 90% of content available for use (costumes, maps/stages, characters, weapons, game modes, costumes/colors, etc.)... and the consumer gets to cherry-pick with parts of the 10% he/she wants to individually pay for.

That's also why playing online requires a paid membership; another way to stretch out the dollar amount to avoid "sticker shock" on a price tag.

---------

For a supposedly educated group of consumers that gamers tend to be, many of them overlook the basic economics of inflation and how increased production costs, affects their product.

I would high prefer this method of pricing in the video game industry, than to pay $80+ for 100% of a game and not having to pay for online multiplayer.

0|0
    0|0
  • Whether it is a pc or a console you have to upgrade every 5 years or so or else you will be running on fumes.
    The last console generation lasted for a long while, but by the end it was running on fumes and many games were a miserable experience. (The last of us, GTA V etc)
    The current console generation is upgrading with new hardware less than 4 years after the initial models, odds are most games will run on the previous models too, but in a similarly miserable state.

1|0
    0|0
    • These generation consoles want you to upgrade every two years now.

• Software? Well all games will have their TUs/patches so you could say it's the same. And all platforms have their updates on the side

"I hate how the gaming and the computer industry is trying to milk us for every single thing!"

Just blame EA

media.giphy.com/media/QDK1pCI43lGhO/giphy.gif

0|0
    0|0
  • PC games need gfx card to run and a whole gaming PC can cost you more than a system.
    However, most PC games have perks that consoles don't like mods, better graphics, better graphics mods, etc.
    Last gen consoles CANNOT play current gen games, ie. PS3 cannot play PS4 games.

"I hate how the gaming and the computer industry is trying to milk us for every single thing! "
    And the games suck.

1|0
    0|0
  • lol no. pc does not require any new software to play new games, instead pc requires new hardware like gpu, cpu, ram, and other stuff

1|0
    0|0
  • Still have the same gaming PC i've had since 2010. Plays next-gen modern games seamlessly on max graphics.

1|0
    0|0
  • With a playstation and xbox it will play any game designed for it... for example playstation 3 was out for 6 years before they developed ps4... so that one time purchase will get you through 6 years without ever having to tweek anything

Pc would require almost double the hardware to play games the Playstation can with half the specs

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends
    Some games will run but the specs of the xbox and ps aren't really good enough to play
    Kinda like the bare minimum

1|0
    0|0
  • You have to dl the latest update before playing a new game, And buy features that should be free. Or at least a lot cheaper

1|0
    0|0
  • No. It goes by generations, though. So like for 4-5 years you don't need to upgrade your console to play new games, but in those years you probably have to upgrade your computer for certain games.

0|0
    0|0
  • Own a PS4 and PC and you are good to go.

1|0
    0|0
  • There's a lot of good games on the older systems , hell , even Nintendo is remaking the NES Classic for $60.

0|0
    0|0
  • what software? lol. they are mostly drivers in pc and system updates in consoles.
    i don't get your question i think, lol. these downloads improve experience
    @LadyTerror she may help, lol

1|1
    0|0
  • yes, but for the consoles we just have to update then we can play

0|0
    0|0
  • If the game is for the Xbox or PlayStation it will play it.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• You should hear about the new Xbox Scorpio that's coming out sometime next year

@toad-1
    @ladyterror

0|0
    0|0