Are women less funny?

There seem to be less good female comedians and more funny male writers.

Most Helpful Girl

• I dont think it comes down to one sex being funnier than the other. Some women are funnier than some men and some men are funnier than some women. I think there tends to be more male comedians due to society and an underrepresentation of female comedians.

Generally I feel there is more of a competitive element with men than women to be the one making the jokes and get their quip in quickly. Also it is less acceptable for girls to be seen as crude or loud growing up in our current society than it is for boys - not that anyone has a huge problem with it but I feel like whereas boys in secondary school could thrive off that behaviour, girls are less likely to.

I think representation of female comedians has been getting better in the last few years, (so many good episodes of live at the apollo on BBC iplayer at the minute - Sarah Millican was particularly good). It'll carry on getting better as women are better represented by the media and this will also make younger women see that they can be just as funny as the boys - and ultimately result in the sexes becoming more equal.

As I said some people are funnier than other people, its not an issue of sex.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes. Women lack confidence (that's why they prefer confident men) and are constantly worrying about what others think of them, reason why they can't be openly funny, make jokes and being humorous because they are more worried about offending someone else. Social image is very important for women which make them cautious at how they act. It also messes with their sense of humor, which many may have but choose to hide it to go with what's viewed as normal and level headed.

0/2500

Send It!
Sponsored

What Girls Said 12

• As a woman who is funny, I agree that in general women are less funny. We get offended more easily, and can't take a joke. And we aren't that funny because we are afraid of stepping on people's toes. But not me... I'm an ass 😁

• At first, I was going to be like "another one of those dumbass sexists who thinks they're better than the other gender," but then I thought about it.

I'd say that I generally do think men are better comedians. But I think that partially has to do with my preference for crude and non-politically-correct humor. Women worry about offending others more than men do, so I think men make better comedians because they aren't afraid to be offensive.

• Rather than the joke itself, I think tone of voice has more to do with how funny you are and often, men have a "funnier" tone of voice than women. So both genders can recite the same joke and it will sound much funnier coming from the man. If you look at female comedians, they tend to try to sound like a male comedian because that works in their favour.

• I think it's a different type of humor. I laugh so much when I'm with my girl friends but you'll never find us making obnoxious jokes. I always cringe when a listen to a woman comedian if I see that she's trying too hard to be vulgar because that just seems unnatural to me.

• What sort of humor do your friends use then.

• So sort of situational comedy then?

• Yes I guess that's what it's called.

• I think so, especially with the popular female "comedians" that are out there. They're more vulgar and crude than anything else, the things they say aren't funny. It's more about shock value for them than anything else.

• My boyfriend is funnier than I am in like the witty jokes dept. but I don't mind because it keeps me entertained. I'm still funny in a more goofball/ditzy way so that keeps him laughing too so it's a win for everybody I guess haha

• Yes we are lol

• There are a lot of funny women. I'm pretty funny myself. Others have said so. ;)

• it's lack of representation, not lack of quality that is the reason there are "Less funny women"

• nope , women are funny

• 0|2
    • I like that response.

• Noooooo

What Guys Said 9

• For me it seems that most comediennes usually stay on the topic of men. Some have range and are just as hilarious as comedians.

• Well. Depends on what you mean. Are women less funny in terms of humour? No.
    Are women worse at being / doing funny things? Yes

• Women are generally more easily offended. That's probably why there is a lack of women in comedy show business.

• No, women are socialized to not say jokes and people are socialized to laugh at men's jokes but not at women's joke... I don't find anyone funny at all. It's hard to make me laugh.

• yes.

• yes and have a poorer sense of humor.

too insecure and sensitive and less witty

• Yeah. Most of the time men are funnier.

• Men are more pressured to be funny by women than vice versa

Women aren't smart enough to tell jokes. Before you say that's sexist, a group of female researchers concluded that... Joking again, no serious study would be conducted by women

• Yeah their humor is different and not as many of them