Do you believe child stars have it rough? Would you want to grow up in the public eye?

Why or why not?

Most Helpful Guy

• From my perspective, I'm too private a person to want to grow up in the public eye. I believe parents who allow their children to become child stars are doing their children a disservice, and my point is vetted out by all the child stars of the past who have self-destructed, because they did not know how to cope with the stardom they are both blessed and cursed with. Many child stars choose to abandon the limelight and seek their own path such as going back to school or just by making a different career choice. I believe children should be allowed to be children, and if a parent does allow their child to step into the public eye they should do so with limited exposure and constant watch guard, because again, children should be allowed to be children, and life is way too short to take that away from them. There is time enough where they're going to have to set aside their childhood for adulthood and the problems and stress which come with being an adult. Therefore, allow children time to be kids and play. That's my bottom line.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah I think they are often abused and mismanaged. There is a reason so many of them go off the deep end when they get older. There needs to be stricter rules around minors in entertainment. They need some semblance of normalcy and structure. They should not be left alone with directors, producers, etc. Parents should be on set. Pay should have to be placed in a trust for the child and never given in whole or in part to parents except for perhaps a small stipend to cover loss of income for the being on set requirement.

You look at how all the kids from Harry Potter turned out and you can tell that the adults involved in that project did something right and had the children's best interest at heart. Unfortunately, that is often not the case and that's how we end up with adults like Corey Feldman, Amanda Bynes, Lindsay Lohan and others who can't cope with the transition into adulthood and all the pressure of growing up in the public eye. It's sad and it's preventable... which almost makes it worse because no one seems to care.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 16

• I honestly think they do...

• Growing up im Hollywood where every perversion and deviancy is catered for if your making the studio money and all covered up yeah definitely Drew Barrymore was a coke addict before, Corey Haiman and Corey Feildman were aledgly prayed upon at the height of their fame when they were teens by Xmen director Bryan Singer. Just look at all those former Disney/Nikolodean girls once most of them wind up as little more than drugged up alchoholic crazed trainwrecks. there's probably something in the casting couch and parents would sell their kids bodies to make them famous.

• YES
    NO!!!
    Critical parents were enough already!

• Definitely would not envy them that one bit.

So many seem to go off the rails, and this says all I need to know...

• Yes, they have it rough, look at the cast of the Brady Bunch
    now they are challenged by the recent death of their stage mom
    Carol Brady real name Florence Henderson just passed at age 82.
    They were all in tears saying how sadly missed she will be but
    can you imagine how many episodes and or seasons they spent
    together rehearsing their roles on the Brady Bunch..

• Yes to both. Child stars have it rough, but less so than most children; and being in the public eye more often protects against child abuse and molestation. That sort of stuff happens in the shadows, not in the limelight. And if anyone tried it, you'd be in the perfect position to expose whoever did.

• The people who abuse and export children in the entertainment industry are generally people who have far more power than the children...

• @Sara413 And the people who abuse and- exploit?- children outside of the entertainment industry are generally people who have far more power relative to the children which they abuse and exploit than those in the entertainment industry. As a child elsewhere, you'd be almost completely powerless, helpless- and the world is typically blind to your abuse and exploitation. As a child star, however, at least you have some measure of empowerment. You'd have a voice- and you'd be able to speak out about it and have people who'd actually care.

• A kid is a kid dude - famous or not... when someone who is more powerful than them or who they perceive as powerful tells them to keep quiet, they keep quiet. That's how abusers get away with this shit.

Hollywood is notorious for sexual abuse.

• I do think celebrity is hard to deal with at an early age. More so, if no one wants to know you when you're grown up.

• I would switch spots in a heartbeat!

• Being famous comes with a very high price.

• "Hi father want to go watch this disney movie with me?"
    "Sorry got business in China tomorrow, leaving today!"

• I would if it had/made me less shy. Money and popularity are always nice to have once and awhile. lol

• Having to care so much about image at such a young age, robs the kid of their childhood.

• I've seen what happened to Macaulay culkin...

• No way! I'd hate to do that. D:

• I wouldn't!

• Depends. I've heard a few stories regarding adult-now child stars who've suffered sexual abuse or child molestation during their child star years from certain people in the Hollywood film industry.

What Girls Said 7

• If you look at a lot of child stars, many of them have had unfortunate events occur in adulthood, so I definitely think they have it rough.
    I definitely would not want to grow up in the public eye, the best thing would be to live a normal life.

• I think they do in a different way. Having a million eyes on them expecting them to be a certain way, a perfect person, a role model. Nothing is private, they can't get away with doing anything, normal adults and teens do

• Yes I think they had it rough. They probably didn't get an actual childhood because of acting and traveling. I wouldn't have wanted that because I had a pretty cool childhood that I wouldn't give up for the money.

• I would. I would love to. It would be nice isn't it? I find that nice...

• sure they have it rough

• ıt is always difficult doesn't matter how old u r

• I think we can never understand what their life is like because we've never experienced a life like that before. That being said, I do think they have it rough because of paparazzi and being in the public eye. However, I think they have it better than so many people, and they should be thankful for everything they have. Personally I would like to grow up in the public eye because I love and am passionate about acting, performing, singing, etc. To me, being able to do what I love would be worth all the bad stuff. If I was not passionate about those things and was a reality star or a kid of a celebrity growing up, then I would probably hate it.