Do you think that Disney is all about traditional sweet fairly tales?

Movies like The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, Fantasia, and The Black Cauldron are dark and push the envelope, which I like.

• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I think all the fairy tales are a bit scary. Snow White scared me a lot as a kid... the old witch's face... *shudders*

0|1
    0|0
    • Well watch the three movies that I mentioned. They're like the darkest Disney movies ever.

• i watched fantasia... it was like a brightly coloured nightmare. lol. and i read the black cauldron... and it was a FANTASTICALLY disturbing book. and i know the story of ichabod crane quite well.

Most Helpful Guy

Sponsored

Have an opinion?

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 9

• I agree with you that Things have sure Changed... Since Walt Died Here, dear.
    However, if you Go to Disney World, it's very Magical Indeed. xx

0|1
    0|0
    • Yep for sure. They're being smart of trying new things.

• Thanks for the Like, but those of us who Liked the way things are, are not too pleased. xx

• Most fairy tales were meant to warn kids and we made them cute and romantic. Look at Little Red Riding Hood, that was a story to warn girls to watch out for strange men because they will take you. Ring around the rosy was a song about the plague. I may be dark but I like the original fairy tales better.

0|1
    0|0
  • No, and they're actually trying to widen their scope so it's not just 'traditional' fairy tales, this is evident with the types of movies they've been releasing for the last couple years.

0|1
    0|0
    • Yep and it's a smart business move.

• For sure.
      Look at the success of movies like frozen and zootopia, people branded them as 'revolutionary for Disney'.

• I love Disney mostly the dark movies!!

0|1
    0|0
  • Not all Disney movies are sweet. Disney has a dark side!!

0|1
    0|0
  • i love a beautiful sweet fairy tale disney movie with a happy ending but not all are...

0|1
    0|0
  • Disney is diverse. Happy stories to dark nightmares

0|1
    0|0
  • I love all or least most Disney movies!!

0|1
    0|0
  • What's a "farily tale", and what is sweet about dead parents?

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 6

• Look at the Marvel Cinematic Universe which has some really dark movies.

0|1
    0|0
    • But you need to watch them all lol

Here's them all in order:

Movie · Year · Rotten Tomatoes rating:
      Iron Man (2008) 94%
      Incredible Hulk (2008) 67%
      Iron Man 2 (2010) 72%
      Thor (2011) 77%
      Captain America: First Avenger (2011) 80%
      The Avengers (2012) 92%
      Thor: The Dark World (2013) 66%
      Iron Man 3 (2013) 79%
      Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) 91%
      Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) 89%
      Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) 75%
      Ant-Man (2015) 81%
      Captain America: Civil War (2016) 90%
      Doctor Strange (2016) 91%

• No the original Walt Disney was an antisemite who supported Hitler.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes and no. Depends on the movie

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope, Disney has produced some dark movies

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think Walt would have approved of "scannable bracelets" and "pride day" or whatever it was called... basically Anti-Family values.

0|1
    0|0
  • Success in life basically comes down to preparation plus a bit of luck. This is certainly a profound truth on its own for men to absorb. Luck is a major factor in success, no matter what the American Dream might say to us. But there are much more significant messages about gender roles and gender relations hiding beneath the Cinderella story, ones men should understand as well as if not better than women.
    A woman’s sex appeal is magic. To get to the ball, Cinderella is endowed by her fairy godmother—i. e. by magic—with all the exterior trappings, allure, and clothing needed to catch the attentions of the prince. In Disney’s film the fairy godmother is a fat old babuschka, implying the wisdom of older women is what transforms Cinderella. But the magic that makes Cinderella into a beautiful princess is not wisdom or fairy dust. It’s a metaphor for something far more powerful and primal: the magic of a young woman reaching adulthood and the peak of her sexual attractiveness, at age 18-25.
    As all men know, this attractiveness is godlike in its potency. In the Cinderella story, the magic is powerful enough to arrest the prince’s mind at first sight; powerful enough to make him search his entire realm to find her. In the real world, sexual attractiveness has brought down governments, as well as inspired most modern music. Cinderella’s stepmother and stepsisters (all significantly older than her) cannot achieve it despite all the artifice of poise and finely-tailored clothing (and, perhaps, three years in a Gender Studies degree).
    A woman’s sex appeal is magic that runs out
    This is the most important part of the story: the magic that transforms Cinderella is strictly limited by time. At midnight, Cinderella is returned to rags. In real life, around age 30, women’s physical attractiveness tanks. In both cases, the magic is gone, forever.
    Women don’t realize the magic is running out until it’s too late
    Cinderella is too swept up in the prince’s eyes and the glamour of the ball to notice the passing of time. Consequently she is caught out by the clock chiming midnight and has to flee for home, panicking at the loss of her glamours.
    Women—especially when feminism dishonestly presents natural childbearing as practical or possible past forty—also don’t hear the clock chiming midnight. They, too, are too swept up in a different diversion: typically, riding the cock carousel through their most fertile years.

0|0
    0|0
    • Such women invariably are the ones bitterly complaining they are invisible to men and bitterly regretting their empty wombs when they’ve turned 40.
      When the magic fades, it spares one thing: Cinderella’s glass slippers. This seems to be a plot hole given the rules of magic in the story, but makes sense symbolically. Leave aside the sexual subtext of the prince’s servants going around his entire kingdom “trying on” every maiden to see if the slipper fits: the glass slipper is a potent symbols of fertility, good genes, good breeding.
      A slipper made of glass is beautiful but delicate – one false step, one heavy footfall, and it shatters, irreplaceable. Is childhood any less delicate, any more replaceable? And the slippers also symbolize Cinderella’s youthful beauty: again, irreplaceable, gone with one false step, one descent into slutdom. The slippers are symbols of the prince and Cinderella’s children to be.

• Show All
    • Women ride the cock carousel on the (in many cases justified) expectation that some thirsty sucker will be picking them up after they choose to get off the ride. Women are permitted to “wait” for their “soulmate”; men are permitted to settle.
      The prince, then, embodies good advice for men: screw who you will on a casual basis, but be selective and be careful who you marry or live with. Because the wrong choice will fuck you up six ways to Sunday and ruin your whole kingdom.
      On the other hand, if you do manage to identify a woman who’s at peak sexual attractiveness and has a good character, the prince has good counsel as well: move mountains to wife that shit up, because such a woman is rare if not extinct, maybe only one in the entire realm, and there’s a godawfully big pack of ugly stepsisters out there looking to snare you.
      A good myth, like any good story, teaches us things about human nature without us realizing it.

• Myth, therefore, is worth seeking out; worth reading; worth contemplating. Never doubt that myth is under attack from vested interests, especially in the modern era. Consider the sterility and destructive themes of Frozen as compared to its parent fable, The Snow Queen.
      Cinderella, fortunately, endures. The story has come under revisionist attack over the years, but none of these pale, ungrateful versions have persisted in the public mind or overturned its lessons. Even as late as 2015, Hollywood still had sufficient courage to produce the story essentially unchanged from the 1950 version, with all of these messages intact.