So I'm watching game of thrones and I'm currently at the part here Theon gets tortured but I'm having a hard time feeling sympathy for him?

Is it hard to watch, ABSOLUTELY. However, the DUDE HAD TWO RANDOM KIDS MURDERED SO HE COULD CONTROL WINTERFELL.
Its like if anyone deserves whats going on and what's happening in Game of thrones (Well, there are a fuckload of people who spring to mind) but people who murder random innocent children to control a group of people are definitely one of them and due to it being all over gag.
I know they cut his dick and balls off, but again, he's pretty much a monster.

Most Helpful Girl

• Spoiler alert:
    He did so much more than that ya know, he not only murdered the children, he also murdered residents of Winterfell like Farlen, the kennel master, and the miller's wife. He was a terrible friend and leader.

• I know, but its the kids that really pushed to towards, I'm glad he is going to cut your dick and balls off and mail them to your vile family.

• thanks for mho!

• He's Reek now :P

Most Helpful Guy

• Awesome show huh! And yeah, Karma hit hard for Theon

What Girls Said 9

• Oh god do you remember his botched execution? I think it took theon four hits with his sword to go through the guy's neck. I think GRRM has mentioned that no matter how graphic he writes the books, he wants people to remember that history was always worse.

• Im with you on this. But they had to create the situation for a specific future reason which i will not say since you haven't watched the rest of the shows yet i assume.

• well, by they, i mean the author... i never watched the movies, i only read the books... so...

• Tyrion was my favorite character from the books. Maybe i'll give it a shot one of these days.

• Tyrion is really well done actually

• Aww, I adore Theon :(

• So Murdering random kids is okay?

• Yup, I did read the books, I remember what he did. I don't recall saying he's not fucked up or that his actions are okay or that he is a good person. What he is is a fascinating and complex character that it's cool for me to love.

• @fauchelevent

i agree, i love theon as a character and his story ark is amazing. Yes he did some truly awful things, but he pays for that at the hand of ramsay, and even tries to redeem himself later on. I won't spoil anything, but as a character he is really fleshed out and you get a real sense of his motivation.

• I stopped watching that but I read about that scene. But I didn't know why they did it, I assumed he must have raped someone so they did that. But hmm guess I was wrong but still thibk he deserves it

• (Apologies if I'm remembering things wrong)

Because he's not at heart evil. He just wants to gain the approval of his father which is relatable he's blinded by this and shows small degrees of remorse. Compare him to Ramsey.

Don't get me wrong killing innocent civilians is horrible but because of the setting its not as crazy. Trying to be devil's advocate here.

• Killing Innocent kids,
      Thats a line you really can't come back from

• I don't know I still felt bad for him. Torture is worse than death.

• Wait till his future

• His dick and balls get chopped off and mailed to his family

• Haha no there's more, let's just he eventually redeems himself

• It's also a fictional show so no one is really being hurt so don't worry and he's a jerk

• I think the whole theme of GOT is that both being too weak and being too power hungry are both deficits.

What Guys Said 13

• The point of the books is that you need a combination of strength, wisdom, morals, intelligence, and street-smarts - plus some luck - to be successful. If you lack one or more of those qualities, you may have some success for a while, but you won't be able to keep it, and you certainly won't be able to sleep well at night.

Another point is that EVERYONE, even the most righteous, are flawed - and some are much more flawed than others. Even when Theon was doing what he THOUGHT, in the moment, was the right thing, he was often short-sighted, and he often did things he knew were wrong too. The price he paid for some of his crimes was a high price indeed.

• Yeah the books are even more grimdark than the TV show the show is grimdark enough for me, but come on, killing innocent kids

• The books are fantasy, of course, but they're highly inspired from real medieval history. Europe was a very violent place then, and cruelty was common and very close to people - not just something most people read in the news.

And during times when raw survival is difficult, life becomes cheap, and people are willing to kill each other for very little. It's hard to grasp that for those who've never seen it in real life, but many Europeans went through it during the Great Depression and again during WWII, and some places it's happening right now (Afghanistan, Syria, China, North Korea, and parts of Africa, for example).

Even in India, having so many people, most of whom are poor, life is much cheaper than most of us here (from advanced western countries/cultures) are used to today. But our own history is full of such cruelty and death.

Martin pulled from history all over the world - there are clearly inspirations from England, France, Germany, Norway, the Netherlands, Egypt, Arabia.

• I know that, but at the same time, I can't feel sympathy for someone like Theon.
      There is the necessary Dirty Business and then there are lines beyond that and Theon crossed the latter

• haha i remember that part. i felt bad a bit but also felt like it was justice for killing children and overall being a douche...

• Damn, son. You powered the shit outta this show. Uh, he did it to spare rickon and Brandon cause he couldn't kill the kids of the family who took care of him, despite technically being a prisoner. Also, to stop razing the castle

Also, he got his dick ripped off. I don't care who you are, but if you can't feel sympathy for a dude getting his giblets chopped off, you're a monster!

• eh. I still don't think what he did was worth losing his manhood.

• Yeah next time don't allow anons in these questions or people will scream out spoilers... Still, I felt sort of bad for Theon honestly. While it's true he is a traitor and all, I mean, he gets his junk chopped off. That's just too extreme. He eventually finds some sort of redemption, which maybe changes what think of him know.

What really brings tears to my eyes is Oberyn Martell... I like that dude.

• Well he is redeeming himself and in the books it's even worse he also has half his toes and fingers cut off.

• i dont want to spoil anything, but he is a good guy at heart and he made some mistakes that he pays for at the hand of ramsay. personally i think his story ark is pretty interesting.

I seriously can't wait until the next season.

• That's kind of the point.

• Are you supposed to feel bad though

• Well what you feel for the characters is a personal experience when watching or reading the story so go nuts lol

• Khal drogo dies from an infected scratch on his chest.

Rob stark also gets rekt and his pregnant foreign wife too.

• I already saw Drogo Die
      Sadly he was too badass for this world

• Yeah. Man you dont care that i spoil the plot for you?

• Nope, but spoilers lose their right to post anon on my questions and takes,
      Bye Bye

• Rewatched these episodes about two weeks ago. Now Im in season 5.

• I think he got what he deserved and now he's even less of a man, since he lost his dick and balls.