Gamers: why are First Person Shooters so popular?

Just curious about your thoughts and opinions on this.

I personally think that there's a certain competitive aspect about them that people love. I don't know if it's so much about the violence within them as much as it is competing against your friends and others around the world.

It's the sense that you outshot or outplayed somebody and wanting to be better than everyone else that is most satisfying.

517

Most Helpful Girl

• i like them both in campaign and in competitive

the pace of the competitive games and the satisfaction of capping some loudmouth asswipe.

The mechanics of the shooters just can't be beat, fighting games have their own style, but i like the shooters better. I also think that there is a little appeal of the "fake" violence to it as well. It can be a bit of an outlet.

• Oh man, yes... the trash-talkers can go get REKT!! 😂

Most Helpful Guy

• - they attract lots of people and build large communities.

- they are fairly simple. Not much thinking is required to play them.

- they are fast paced and filled with action.

- its easy to get into compared to other types of games.

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 4

• I'm terrible at those games. I'm better off going to the gun range or playing paintball. Just as much fun.

• I guess that it being first person would make the experience a lot more immersive and, like you said, competitive. Plus, yeah, the violence is a form of release so people obviously enjoy that, getting to smash things up or take out aggression on something without actually going out and doing it. Personally, FPS isn't usually my thing, I pretty much only like Doom, but I do get why people enjoy it.

• so you mean... shooters in general. and obviously its about the competitive nature of the game. also it's super easy, just gotta learn button layouts (if that's even something you need to learn) and just get good at aiming. it doesn't require thinking and it gets my mom laid more in an hour than she's actually been in a whole year. ;x ;x ;x

jk mom, ily. ill kill them all for you.

• As far as competitive goes, shooting requires more strategy and coordination, its more challenging. There's also so many users and tournaments so that helps. Big bucks to be made and notoriety. I personally think too much competition can spoil anything, I like racing and fighting games for the competitive drive. Or strategy based games.

What Guys Said 16

• It is more the emersoin, the competativeness of it, and how popular they are. The only real new FPS games to do anything really ground breaking is battlefield with the huge maps and lots of players and Titain fall. COD has not really changed at all. It is still the small airsoft style fps game that it always was been. Though Doom really brought it back very well recently.
    I personally prefer other games now. I like Masseffect more cause of the story. I like RTS games where I team up with my friends to take out our enemies. City builders where I can build instead of destroy. Sometimes some dungoin crawlers like Path of exil and gauntlet.
    Personally I think that FPS are over rated and sadly pretty addicting. It sucks to have to go through withdrawal during the start of a school semester after spending a really fun vacation playing with your cousins online.

• keeps you wired up while being fast paced and it makes your most inner desire come out to play for a time

• Often easy to pick up.
    Most people at some point have play one, and of course the competitive aspect.

• Because they are easy, straight to the point and multiplayer friendly. Only a few people would choose a hard, thinking game, like me. Its all about money.

• I hate first person shooter games. Gosh they sick bad!!! At least give me the option in the game to choose 1st person and 3rd person.

• The view sucks. I like seeing the whole body like in Ghost Recon.

• It's understandable, definitely... I like both 1st and 3rd person games but generally 1st person more. I think they're just a tad more immersive.

• They are fast twitch games... usually multiplayer... and never ending... it's almost always different as each game is never the same. It's very satisfying to kill in game other players... and the game mechanics are usually quite good

It's also a basic aim and shoot layout.,, simple but solid

• dont know but, first person shooters are more awesome, but other than fps are also cool

• Because third person shooters are weird

• Gears of War and Ghost Recon are pretty dope though... great cover-based shooters.

• I liked ghost recon, but it was really weird for me

• And gears of war, but it's been a while

• A way to vent frustration and feelings, urges without actually dong those things in real life would be my guess or they are just fun like anything else.

• I loved them when I was younger, but nowadays I lost interest for the most part... not because I don't like first person shooters anymore, but just because of the type of games they release now. Quake Champions might be one I take a look at again

• You're right. I don't own any, but the main reason I play when I hang out with people is because I like the competition part of it.

• Because it's easy for casual gamers. No hardcore gamer would enjoy a shoot unless fps was just one of the mechanics like Fallout. FPS are for kids and teens.

• I haven't been a fan since Goldeneye and Doom 64. I just lost interest..

• I don't know, i think they are usually bland and boring

• Most immersive view for me to loose myself in

• They're emotional training for a real firefight. [Seriously]

• I don't believe that one for a second.

• I feel like semi-realistic scenarios like playing paintball or something or that sort would be more effective, no? Where there is real pain and an element of fear involved.

• For realism ues, but that decision, the will to kill? First person shooters are good for eliminating that