Do you want to learn a musical instrument?

If so, what do you want to learn? If not, why?

If you have learned one, what did you learn/how long have you been playing? Do you want to learn any others?
Do you want to learn a musical instrument?Oh and I'm including voice as an instrument.
Before anyone asks, no, mayonnaise is not an instrument.

• Aye, I want to learn one
  • Nay, I do not want to learn one
  • I already have learned one, and want to learn another
    Vote C
  • I already have learned one, but don't want to learn another
    Vote D
  • I can't play an instrument, but I carry one around to look cool
    Vote E
  • Other / Unnecessary silly option / WHAT THE HELL IS ON JOEY'S HEAD?
    Vote F

Most Helpful Girl

• I know how to play clarinet but I would love to learn the piano, guitar and violin. ^^

Most Helpful Guy

• Haha good funny question :)

I want to learn piano and guitar. I'll start it by the end of this year or the next year. Piano is the most important because I want to learn DAW and master it. But before that, I will have to learn piano. Do you consider DAW as an instrument? Piano won't hurt like guitar either. I have very soft hands. I have some apps on my phone for piano. Once in a while, I use them to learn the basics. I know that it's very different from an actual piano but still, it's worth it as it would help me getting used to it and it is so enjoyable.

I want to learn guitar too because of course, it is so cool. The best thing about guitar is that it is readily available. I could use and keep it anywhere. Plus, I'd also sing along with it which I obviously won't lol.

After listening to some sad songs, I've shown some interest in violin too. And I would also like to learn flute. But they're not in priority like piano and guitar.

Did I mention that I love pen tapping? Hope I would be able to do that by my 30s.

• DAW as in digital audio workstation, right? I mean, it definitely is a skill to learn. I have logic pro and have been learning it for awhile. If you ever get logic, check out musictechhelpguy on youtube. He has a full video training series!

Midi is definitely a useful thing to know, but I suppose that kind of goes with piano. :)

• Awesome! Thanks, fella :)

• No prob πŸ‘

0/2500

Send It!
Sponsored

What Girls Said 24

• Unfortunately I wasn't blessed with any musical talents. But it's always been a dream of mine to learn to play the violin. I've always regarded it as a unique instrument in the musical ability it has and the effect and presence it gives - Although it's an object and it's not capable of having such qualities, I've always found it regal, wise and beautiful in a way because its tones are capable of arousing deep, raw emotion and somehow listening to a violin makes me feel like it's speaking to me, trying to communicate and turn to my soul. To be able to create music like that would be legendary and very fulfilling.

• Honestly, with enough dedication you can do anything! Just get lessons. You may not be a professional, but you'll sound a lot better than the people who's parents forced them to play because you actually have a love for the instrument

• @juniorsrosie @dangerDoge - Wow, I'm actually touched and very grateful for the encouragement and advice! You've given me good reasons to seriously consider it again. I think it's great you both have such experience in music and I applaud your dedication above all! I guess it really is a matter of sheer will and constant practice, as you both say. I've got a lot to reconsider now although I still do feel the lack of talent and experience in the field on my part, but I've definitely got more reason to consider going for it after reading what you've both written. Thank you for the suggestions and the input, it's very much appreciated! :)

• Now start playing. Being passionate about something IS the talent. Anyone who we consider "talented" were completely clueless but they were passionate about it and they learned. They didn't born to be good, yea some people learn faster than others, but it doesn't matter. If you are passionate about it you will bee good at it if you just work for it. And if you are really passionate about it, it doesn't even feel like a work but it's fun to learn. How you describe your interest is true passion. Go for it ;)

• "Look at this photograph
    Every time I do it makes me laugh
    How did our eyes get so red,
    And what the hell is on Joey's head?
    This is where I grew up.
    I think the present owner fixed it up..."

Dude... I had to. Just be glad I didn't type the full lyrics. That was off the top of my head. Anyway, I am LEARNING a musical instrument (that wasn't a poll option). I'm learning how to play acoustic guitar, but someday I hope to get an electric one. I don't plan on learning any others, though I've kind of always wanted to play piano.

• Off the top of my head I only know lines 1, 2 and 4. πŸ˜‚

Ahh I just was thinking learning as the same as playing one. I always feel like no matter how much one plays an instrument, they'll always be learning. (Or at least that's just my opinion on the matter lol)

• I know that song too. Nickelback is one of those bands that I never search for, but, if I am alone and it comes up through a YouTube playlist mix, I HAVE to sing it.

Hah, then too bad I can't stand pop music. :')

• Ah I see πŸ˜‚

If you ever want to go to some hardcore chords though, check out jazz!

• I've learned basics of percussion and would like to improve if I had my own setup (I have an AlesisDM5 but want a non-electric). I'd also like to get better at piano since its kinda precursor to harp which I have always wanted to learn. Those are my top two. I also want to find a good vocal trainer because I'm told I could hit some operatic notes with better training :D

Always liked the clarinet, violin, cello and I don't know if this counts, but I'd love to learn more about djing and music editing. 🎚🎧

• Ahh yeah, I have sn electronic kit myself as well so I know the feel. That's why I often go down to the local guitar center and be the guy who plays the kits but doesn't buy anything πŸ˜‚

• The staff say that? ! Wow, rude :O
      They only get annoyed if I play the prize kits in the very center of the room but they're usually pretty chill about teling me to move. The downside is I play a lot of metal so it gets loud very quick πŸ˜‚

• @dangerdoge They sure did! I was like.. yo, I know travis barker! Lemme play! hah. my local gtc only has one prime real estate for drumming! Its damn detroit rock city or the burbs anyway so goddamnit :p
      Metal huh? This is my favorite song to drum "Crack the Liar's Smile" Drain STH.. Just a touch too metal :p I would end up having to play jazz drumming and that can get tricky🎷. So wbu? What do you play or want to, w. e? ?

• I learned all of the wood winds, but my primary is oboe, flute, and piccolo. I've played oboe for 8 years, flute and piccolo for 7.

I'm a music ed major so I'm going to have to learn the brass lol. Currently in the process of learning piano

• Ooh awesome! I used to do clarinet/bass clarinet, but I didn't like constantly running out of breath so I went the typical rock band instruments route lol. Oboe is hard though! If you play bassoon too, even more props to you. o_o

• I feel lol. I actually find bassoon easier. There's less back pressure which is nice

• can play a cute little ukulele, but i wanna learn how to play the drums <3 looks so satisfying and stress relieving.. and sexy

• can i play an instrument? yes.

should i? no, sir.

does it stop me from wanting to learn? no, but it's hard to acquire new skills at this age.

• I sing and play guitar. Started about 7 years ago. Do it! Play. it's easy, but it's a also hard work. go fall in love with it

• 1. Loveeeee the wanegbt gif πŸ˜‚ 2. I know how to play ukulele, guitar, and can fake piano drums and mandolin. Wanna actually learn them though, same with banjo and violin.

• Oh, that's what it is from? I just used the gif and had no idea with the origin πŸ˜‚

And what do you mean by "fake?" lol

• I've wanted to learn mandolin, but I can never imagine me being able to play many songs I'd like with it :/

• True, but maybe you can play mandolin versions of other songs?

• I play the violin and cello but I really wanna learn to play bass guitar and the er-hu. And the sitar.

• Huh, er-hu is definitely one instrument I am not familiar with. Sounds interesting though!

• I want to learn how to play Guitar! I love that beautiful piece of instrument.. I regret not learning sooner but I'll have to put it on my to do list to get some classes :)

• I took piano as a kid but have forgotten so much of it so I'd like to learn that again. I'd love to take voice lessons if I had the guts.

• Same, I want to take voice lessons so I can play the piano and sing at the same time (instead of asking my sister to sing)

• @AndrewMG I'm Maria's inspiration for breasts so ya know...

• @TuMeManques... Geez! I'd ordered a Spurs Shirt as a present for you, I'll have to change that for you and it may be wise to leave the seat in front of you free when we go to the game! lol

• You already know lol. I'm trying to be a drum goddess.

• Maybe violin would be nice but I don't care too much about musical instruments

• Yes, piano

• I wanna learn the guitar one day

• yeah i want to learn playing guitar

• I tried to learn guitar but they say I'm all thumbs.

• play the cello and clarinet
    would like to learn how to play the piano

• I want to learn how to play the piano

• I play the piano and I'm a former violin player.

• guitar, violin (I want to learn )

• Why not mayonnaise? :(

• I want to learn playing the ukulele. I bought one but I know 2 chords only;;;

• AND THIS IS WHERE I GREW UP
    I THINK THE PRESIDENT OUGHT TO FIX IT UP--

What Guys Said 18

• Non-serious answer: Sure I'd like to play the mayonnaise.

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...3d4892352b.jpg

Serious answer: I'd like to play the drums actually. I think it would be incredibly fun (and cathartic) to be a rock drummer. I'm already practicing with some chopsticks πŸ˜‚.

media.giphy.com/media/seP68mWn1nzTG/giphy.gif

• Oops sorry, I didn't read the "no mayonnaise jokes" rule. My bad lol.

• I started piano and trombone when I when 8. When I was 13 I started guitar. I've dabbled in a lot of things that don't need much instruction since they're so similar to others I've played, like bass, organ, etc. But I'd still like to learn maybe cello or harp or flute.

• Ahh I've always wanted to learn classical strings myself like cello or violin. Sounds like you are pretty skilled at music though!

• My first job was as a guitar teacher when I was 17. I'm more into writing now, but I can't put down the guitar for very long.

• Anyone who said "I already have learned one, and want to learn another" is a liar. So many of them :D

• Straight up, I'm buying a guitar and amp in the coming months..

• im playing piano, bass and drums for 15 years ( started when i was 6) and tuba, trombone and trumpet for 8 years. French horn and sax for 6 years

• I play the piano, and I can play some drums (but I'd like to get better at it). In the future, I'd like to learn guitar and bass.

• i play guitar and sing every now and then, wouldn't mind learning them a bit more, though...

i'd like to get back into drums, maybe learn some piano/keyboard and violin.

• Ahh I wish I could sing. Then I could complete my one man band dream lol

• practice makes perfect, my dude...
      there is always room for improvement in everything...

my singing was god awful when i was younger, it's bearable now haha

• I already know how to play guitar, piano and drums. It would be awesome to play the sax.

• You could be like a one man jazz quartet! :O

• I was thinking more like recording a song one part at a time and piecing it all together at the end haha

• Yeah, but I wouldn't be able to do a live act.

• I would like to learn piano or guitar.

• Violin and keyboard. Starting this year.

• Noice. I heard violin is difficult but fun to play!

• Don't worry. I hear if you go to an island with a volcano and sacrifice mahogany to the music gods, you can cut that down to one year πŸ‘

If you have some solid ideas and a DAW for it, it isn't too bad to make basic stuff once you learn a little about midi/mixing/mastering.

• Yeah, im trying to buy a nice pc for that also. It's more for a hobie thing, to help me thinking and free excess energy :p but we never know.

• Voice, and I've intended to learn piano but never have the time, lol.

• It would be nice but it's not a priority

• Yes, I want to learn how to play the guitar.

• Played trombone in elementary and Jr high

• Meant to hit D. I already know the trumpet and don't want to learn another.

• yes, bass guitar.

• Used to play the bass guitar, but I gave up. Now I'm thinking about learning to play the electric guitar (I don't like acoustic), and keyboards. And since voice counts as an instrument, I sing too.