Anyone here know about pc patches, and how to use them?

I have some of my favourite games on the pc mainly civilization 3 and some of the command and conquer titles. They worked on windows xp, vista, and 2007 I think it was. However they're completely unplayable on either windows 7 or 8, I could have upgraded to 10 but wasn't interested in the design. I've looked up patches online which has said made windows 8.1 (what I have), to use the older systems of windows but has seemed to do fuck all. Any help will be appreciated.

06

Most Helpful Guy

• Was the windows vista they worked on 32bit or 64bit? cause some older games don't work right on 64bit operating systems. Also have you tried running the games in compatibility mode? Another thing to watch out for is SafeDisc and Securom DRM games no longer work in windows 8/8.1 and 10 and also windows 7 after a certain update. I had a problem with Simcity 4, it refused to run on windows 8.1 plus windows 10 when I upgraded to it (was due to windows blocking Securom). Windows now prevents SafeDisc and Securom from running which cause the game to not work cause it can't authenticate the game disc. SafeDisc and Securerom was copy protection used on older games to prevent them from being copied.

• I gave up on getting SimCity 4 to work and just bought a cheap ($10 cheap) Windows XP computer, now I use it for all my older games.

• Are you 100% certain the XP was 64bit, cause close to 99% of XP's were 32 bit. The main reason for this is because XP was released 2 years before the first consumer 64bit processor. XP was released in 2001, but XP x64(64 bit) wasn't released till 2005. Another reason 64 bit XP didn't catch on is because their was a lack of 64 bit device drivers plus it was based on windows 2003 kernel, caused problems for programs and games.

• Yeah cus dad put the tower together, that things been running for 13/14 years now. Parts has been replaced and changed over the years would have still had cp but there was a nasty trogen and everything had to be reset and it was easier to do so with a new windows.

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 5

• PC patches = bugfixes, updates etc. (nothing to do with whether or not a game will run)

What you'd want to try first is compatibility mode if not you could try running it virtually

media.giphy.com/media/QDK1pCI43lGhO/giphy.gif

• Use a virtual machine prog. It will run Win XP on a Win anything system.

Another way is to set up a dual boot system to run Win XP and Win 10 (say) side by side.

• Use something like VM Virtual box for the first method. I use it for running MSDos on a Windows PC.

• Same issue with Age of Empires-Myth. still haven't fully figured it out tho. Right click the icon and mess around with it. Compatibility and resolution are what Id start with.

• Stop appropriating the gaming culture!!!

• Noob

What Girls Said 0