How did you learn to cook? Was it by yourself?

I want to learn to cook all I know how to make for breakfast right now is scrambled eggs (or omlette) and tea.

I mean I do know how to cook basic stuff, like pasta, but have no 'real' cooking skills. I learned how to make scrambled eggs from youtube.

I tried making alfredo sauce once. It was a nightmare :O

Most Helpful Guy

• I always hated that "learn to cook" sentence.
    You never really "learn to cook", you may learn a few dishes but each new dish takes further effort and practice.

I learned most of our common family dishes helping out at home.
    These days I like to try out a new recipe every once in a while that I find on youtube since I'm subscribed to a lot of food networks.

Most Helpful Girl

• I grew up watching both my parents cook then started watching a lot of the cooking shows on tv but largely my influence came from my work. I would be taken out to some very fancy restaurants for business meetings and such, decided i loved the food i would eat but couldnt afford to go out evey night to eat it so i figured out how to make things at home. Cooking is probably one of my favorite hobbies now. Sometinmes i'll go hime from work and cook just to destress and not even eat it or I'll make food and then give it away.

0/2500

Send It!
Sponsored

What Guys Said 6

• I is just kind of something that you learn that is easy. Don't worry about being good enough to cook without a recipe.

• 1. Look up recipes and instructional videos
    2. Practice

It's really not more complicated than that.

• Single parent home, an ex-girlfriend who can cook really well, and because I thought it's a normal life skill for every adult.

• My mom taught me

• I watched a lot of YouTube videos. Chef Gordon Ramsay has a lot of great videos!

• My moms recipes, and the stuff on my pinterest account. Follow Tasty on Facebook

What Girls Said 15

• I learned by myself, my mum never cooked growing up and I wanted better food so started borrowing recipe books from the library. There were a lot of fails but practise makes perfect.
    I would start with very basic things, is there anything in particular you want to learn?

• I didn't learn to cook, im not very good at it. I can do basic stuff like scrambled eggs etc. Recently i tried french toast... it turned out to be a crime against eggs and bread everywhere. A friend of mine is helping me correct the error of my ways and i hope to be cooking adequate french toast by the end of 2017.

• My dad was training to be a chef so learnt a thing or two off him. Other times its just cooking shows or trial and error, but I didn't burn down the kitchen lol!

• I learned how to boil an egg from Google (my family has never let me live this down lol); then my dad taught me how to cook the meals we would eat and my best male friend (he's a chef) taught me what he knew; then I realised cooking was easy. Plus, now I'm a really good cook, I cook any cuisine (except sushi) for family and friends.

• Lucky you lol ha ha the boil egg story made me smile :)

I guess I could try using the online recipes for certain products. Like the Vitamix, you can apparently make pasta sauce in it. I could try that maybe

• LOL it's really funny come to think of it that I remember the numerical value of the oddest of things. Once someone asked me what the bus fare was and I gave her the exact amount down to the last decimal.

Yeah I would watch the oven clock when I'd make the food, I don't know why but it takes forever to boil the spaghetti/pasta.

I think that's a good start. I was thinking of saving the recipe ingredients from a few recipes all onto a document and then taking my tablet when I go shopping. Hopefully that gives me some results.

• Haha it is funny what random things are remembered. But then again you were probably paying bus fare more frequently than you were cooking. Lol

I like your plan!! I bet whatever you cook next would be great! 😀

• Had to learn on my own. Bought cook books and now love Pinterest. Cooking is an ever evolving skill. One day you can make perfect eggs and the next they suck. Practice and patience.

• I left home only knowing how to make a sandwich lol. Then I practiced a lot and learnt to cook. I did Google many thing. I bought a cake book. I watched youtube. Now I think I am a decent cook.

• I have never put an effort in it, If I learned cooking some meals, It was taught either by my grandma, mom or brother. I am still beginner at it.

• Watching family cook and just trying things one day. I still cook things I've nvr made before and it comes out good, sometimes following a recipe helps

• i learnt it by myself - as long as there is a recipe i can cook anything

• From my mother and grand mothers

• My mother taught me how to cook.

• Taught by my mom

• you just figure it as you go... it's easy and the better you get the easier it is to dabble.

Make sure when boiling any kind of noodle to make sure it's bubbling first and when pan frying make sure the oil is heated before adding whatever your making... things that are in a frying pan that include onions and garlic are usually way better if you brown them before adding anything else, when baking preheat the oven... always.

• When I was 5 years old I often helped my mum and grandmother in the kitchen. So over the years I learnt how to cook and bake through helping and watching my gran and mother

• A lot of it was my family but the majority was self-taught. Following directions to a T, watching the videos, etc., asking others for advice. I've noticed following directions close to exact helped but with boxed-cooking, Id normally skip some of it because it depends on your type of oven/stovetop.