What stops you from learning a musical instrument?

I asked a recent question over whether one wanted to learn a music instrument or not.
(If you'd like, check it out here .)

Most people so far have either said they wanted to learn an instrument or they wanted to learn an additional one.

So I just wonder, if you are wanting to learn some music but haven't, what is stopping you?

If you have already learned an instrument but want to learn another, what is stopping you?

• Time. I find it an effort to do squeeze things in my busy schedule.
  • Money. I find it an effort to buy musical shtuff.
  • Laziness. I find it an effort to walk to the fridge.
    Vote C
  • Time, money, AND laziness! I find it an effort to life.
    Vote D
  • I already am happy with however many instruments I can play, and I don't want to learn anymore.
    Vote E
  • Other / I don't feel I have enough talent / I'm focusing on an instrument now
    Vote F
  • Unnecessary silly option / CAUSE WE ALL JUST WANNA BE BIG ROCKSTARS AND LIVE ON HILLTOP HOUSES DRIVING FIFTEEN CARS
    Vote G

Most Helpful Girl

• i took music lessons as a kid and into my early teens: i played violin and recorder, but wasn't particularly good at either.

my brother-in-law is an awesome guitarist and tried to teach me how to play bass when i was in my early 20s. i was okay at it, but my performances were nothing to write home about lol.

that said, i started singing in school choirs as i got older and, even now, i enjoy karaoke and carolling with my friend's church group (which is funny, since he's an anglican pastor and the whole congregation knows i'm agnostic). so one might say that my voice is my instrument. :)

Most Helpful Guy

• I tried to learn Bass Guitar
    My teacher was probably the best damn blues bassist I've ever seen and if he'd had any other student he'd have taught the hell out of them.
    Me, I just don't have a lick of talent or ability.

• Did it just not click? I mean, I've found it very rare for a person to not have potential in music. I've found a lot of it is just pure effort.

0/2500

Send It!
Sponsored

What Girls Said 16

• My left thumb got hurt in high school. I can type and do like things with my hand. But I don't have the dexterity or pain tolerance to play anything with my left hand anymore so I just don't play anything.

• I'm terrible at playing instruments and remembering how to play.

• noise restrictions where i live. i mean, i get notices just for singing in the shower.

admittedly it's awful singing but i mean... it's 7am anyways, they should be waking up and smelling the roses.

• Lol are you belting in the shower? I'm just imaging some projection for you to get notices from just that (or the neighbors are just stingy) 😂

• lol i mean, i gotta be able to hear myself over the sound of water in my ears.

plus, nyc, thin, apartment walls, floors, and ceilings. like, i had a neighbor that used to buy slippers and hang them on my door because she thought i lived above her apartment (i didn't, it was a vacant apartment) and she thought i was scuffling around too loud at night (i had too much fun pointing this out to her). i had so many noise complaints against me the first few years i moved here.

• the complaints and notices were from the landlord, by the way, not the cops. just to clear that up

• Laziness and time

• no 7 sounds good.

But back to the instruments, I had no interest as a child, and when I did take an interest (only in the last 12 months really) I figured it's just too late to start.

• Hey, I started in high school and turned out fine. 17 is def not too late if you want to learn an instrument!

• Mb I'll look into it some more then :P

• Money and my fear of re-learning to read sheet music.

• Hey for drums, sheet music isn't too important unless you are going into an orchestra or a classical sort of setting :D It's pretty easy to read the sheet music too (compared to other instruments)

It's also nice because most parts (unless extremely complicated) can just be learned by ear without too much effort

• Definitely not going into orchestra or classical. But drum lessons are on my list for the year.

• I've tried. Just wasn't good at it

• don't have space for a piano atm

• Look at the electric piano. I bought one for my daughter about 20 years ago. They are no larger than a typical keyboard and sound like the real thing.

• @cth96190 i used to have a keyboard as a child but i want a baby grand

• Time- I already can't keep up my instruments so there's no way I could do another one as much as I'd like to

• I've got no time for that these days, though I really want to

• I'm not much into musical instruments. I tried orchestra before and I'm not into it.

• Money and place to where put the instrument

• Not enough space? Are you wanting to learn something big like drums? 😮

• The digital piano that I have has a key action that is excellent. The only pianos that I've tested that I like better are expensive grands. Yes you would probably be looking at a minimum of $1000 for a good quality one though. Mine was $2400. So yes, it can be pricey.

• @ArrowheadSW Wow that's really expensive but you gotta paid if you want some qualities anyway

• if i want to learn nothing can stop me

• I am not gifted and it costs a lot.

• A lack of talent..

• A lot of it is dedication and time. I mean, I started out on rockband drums not being able to play easy mode. It was only after I actually learned the instrument to a certain level where people attributed it to "talent." I bet you could do it if you tried and have the passion for it!

• I've been wanting to learn the guitar. Maybe I'll give it another try, but to some degree I think people need to have talent to develop..

• So many reasons why I'm not practicing piano right now. 1. I don't like practicing when other people are around (anxiety?) 2. I work full time so, tiredness 3. Been getting sore throat or headaches 4. I like reading and writing opinions more and talking to strangers 5. When I live by myself I feel overwhelmed by chores/food prep. I'd love to get into a disciplined mindset and love music so one day it'll work out.

• I remember that I used to feel super nervous playing around people. Public performance nerves go away after playing in front of people some times though. It is rough at first but gets better! It also becomes easier the more skilled one gets at an instrument.

What Guys Said 20

• Wow! I'm the only person voting A, till now.

I don't believe that music instruments cost that much if you aren't professional, considering the benefits. You'll acquire a new skill, you'd impress people and you'll probably never be bored again.

For me, it's just time. I barely get time to use Internet, so you can understand how busy I am these days.

Music won't feed me. I'm not learning it professionally, I just want to learn it for self-fulfilment. This year, I'll probably get settled and have a proper schedule with a stable job. In the evenings, I would go to the music classes and relive from the stress of work.

I have money and I'm zealous in learning music, but I want to make it clear that my career is on path before I add more things in my life. It doesn't matter how well I'll do, because at least, I would be able to do much better than an average person sitting inside his/her house. I would be able to say "Yes! I can play it". Sure, talent matters, but I don't think it is mandatory to play the instruments decently, all it requires is effort. Anybody can learn, anybody can play!

• Musi definitely does fill up any time when one is bored pretty well haha. I agree with you though-- I think anyone can learn! If one is tone deaf, it makes it much harder, but that is statistically pretty rare.

• Oh yes, totally forgot tone deaf peeps. If I found a tone deaf person playing a musical instrument, It'd make me really emotional.

• Money and not really much in terms of self-taught structured lesson plans for the instruments I like. Q. Q
    I bought a bamboo sax a while back , I learnt how to play all the songs on the tabs that came with the sax but I have no idea how to play other songs cos no lesson plans Q. Q
    Also. Money. Want to learn the hang , but I can't seem to... get the hang of it cos it's so expensive Q. Q
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvt5TZy0aAc

• I've been taking keyboard lessons for almost 10 years just out of personal interest to play an instrument and out of love for music. I'd really like to get good at Rock and Roll, but I find it is harder than other types of music, such as classical. (Depends on the level of classical you are comparing it to of course.) So I am a bit discouraged after 10 years in that I'm not proficient in what I want to play. I am thinking of dropping down to easier stuff just so I can play better. I keep telling my teacher that I should have taken up an instrument where you only play one note at a time, which is most instruments of course... LOL

• Time. I play piano, percussion instruments, and sing. I would like to learn tenor sax and bass guitar.

• didn't vote but time would be my answer. certainly not laziness. i hardly have time to sit down and watch an hour of tv

• 1. I am almost tone deaf.
    2. I have almost zero interest in learning an instrument.
    3. I cannot read music and I cannot be arsed learning how to do it.
    4. I have no talent and I already struggle to fit everything into the day.
    Despite all of the above, there is a certain dark appeal in pretending to learn bagpipes, just to drive my neighbours insane. :-)

• LOL bagpipes can apparently get about as loud as chainsaws so I'm sure your neighbors would just love it.

• Laziness.. Like I said on your other question, I will buy a guitar and amp and learn to play! I'm just conflicted on whether I choose acoustic or bass.

• Lack of interest in learning a music instrument.

• I have never used the few skills I learned in school and don't want another useless skill.

Lots of free pianos on offer on kijiji in my city.

• It provides me with no pleasure or fun.

• Other areas and interests that are more relevant to me.

• It would be nice but I never cared enough to actually bother to learn

• I just like the music produced when you get good, but you first need to get a good instrument that's in tune and can play all that it's supposed to and then do a lot of practicing... Wow that's a run-on...

• I sing and play guitar. I also have a little experience with piano.

No interest in anything else.

• I know how to play sax and piano I never play but I never need to either

• nothing stops me.

• money is the big issue for me right because I want to learn piano.

• Ahh, yeah, full acoustic sorts of pianos are pricey. :/
      Full 88 key electronic ones aren't as bad as legitimate pianos, but it really depends on the budget.

• This one time at band camp the counselors stuffed my oboe up my bassoon. I have been scared of music ever since

• I gave up on the bass, after things went more complicated. But never mind, actually I prefer to sing than playing an instrument.

• I want to learn to use my keyboard but I don't have enough space to have it set up at the same time as my laptop to learn with it.