Should I buy a Surface book or stay with Mac?

I have uni starting next month and I really like the idea of the 2-1 laptops. I currently have a macbook air 2014 (I think) and my partner said If im serious about buying a 2-1 laptop he will sell me his Microsoft Surface book to me for cheaper than retail. It is a lot of money but i have a little saved up but the question is whether I want to use it for that. The microsoft surface does everything I need and even a bit more than my mac, but i need help deciding.

Retail for the Microsoft surface book is: $3797 (Aus)
but my partner said he would sell it to me for just on or a bit under $2000
Thoughts?

• Keep the Mac
  • Buy the Surface

38

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh damn! I just looked that up. That is so expensive. What exactly can the surface book do that a laptop and a tablet couldn't do?
    I really don't know.

• Well for one thing, I can use it as both a laptop and a tablet, for uni I could write and draw diagrams because its touch screen, it's lighter than a laptop, it also it more powerful than my laptop, it would be more easier to carry for me than a laptop

Most Helpful Girl

• If your mac is in good working order, I'd keep it.
    A majority of college students (at least at my university) use mac. It would be a different story if you didn't already have a working laptop. You could use those $2,000 for something later on, such as food or books.

• I kinda think your mind is already made up though.

• Also I wouldn't buy it from your partner if you get it. Like another user said, you want the warranty in case things go wrong.

• Yeah my college actually gave us Microsoft office for mac and windows lol

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 7

• Surface book is a better proposition, you would only use Mac if your field requires it.

• Both are good. Go with your preference for OS.

As a network admin everything has to be MS based on the domain. But my personal stuff is apple - iphone, ipad, ipod, etc. Desktop PC is just that - a PC. :)

• True, you're quite the opposite. a lot of people I've spoken to have said they hate apple products

• Also has to do with your primary background - be it PC or mac. Mine is PC based so I would always do anything business production on a PC - artwork, documents, spreadsheets, etc.
      Away from work everything is relaxation and entertainment, so ipad and ipod. So easy to use, the interface is very natural.
      And the iphone is the only OS apple supports, so updates come quicker and it is more stable. Android has so many different flavors that it always takes longer for updates to get tweaked for each version and there is always compatibility issues.
      The plus phone has a much bigger battery besides the bigger screen - so they last and last and last. On light use I can get a week out of my i6-plus. On heavy use it will go well beyond the day. Try that with a 'droid phone. :)
      I thought it would be too big but it's not - it's perfect.

• I like Windows way better so I'd stick with the Surface

• Dont buy a used surface book from him
    Stay with your mac and save some money
    2014 should still be good if you take care of it
    I had a 2009 that i gave to my cousin that still runs like new

• Also i think its weird that he's charging you $2000 but i guess thats just my opinion
      Honestly i would just give it to you

• never get a partner who sell you something. bad choice of partner. good choice of Surface Book

• Well they are a lot of money, so he would want something in return for how expensive it is

• haha.. better get it from someone whom you can trust with return policy. when you're going to buy it, you need to have warranty and insurance policy combed in it. I hope you have long lasting relationship so there'll be no problem in money back thing if it's not so good.

• What do you plan to study? Some disciplines are better suited to a certain OS.

• Buy the Surface.

What Girls Said 2

• If you are going to buy go with the surface. I have a surface pro that i replaced i macbook with, im glad i did it. But if you dont HAVE to buy it, just stick with the mac for while and save your money.

• I'd suggest the surface pro because of it doing all the things you need it for, plus more, it can be a tablet, touch screens are awesome, it's not locked to Apple and you should be able to get more windows software's and apps and things and it's software and everything being a new "laptop" will be great for whatever you need to use it for so I'd personally go for the surface pro and if you can get it that cheap it's a bargain you can't really pass up

• Yeah that's what I thought, because I can't get Microsoft programs on Mac which is essential for uni.

• Oh and you're right, that is so cheap for a surface book. My partner bought it for himself and he literally only used it for Netflix in bed and that's it, I'd be using it for so much more than that 😁

• Yeah so for the price and added functions over apple, a surface pro would work a treat for uni and things 😊