Do film reviews influence your choice to see a movie?

If you want to see a film and check out its reviews, do you let them, god or bad, dictate your ultimate choice to see a movie?

why or why not?

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends. If I'm on the fence I'll usually read the reviews. If I'm excited for the movie I won't check them at all. Sometimes IMDb can be crap for reviews. Pacific Rim had a great rating and I found it to be crap so... I take reviews with a grain of salt.

Most Helpful Guy

• With the plethora of films industry chugs out these days, it does help to narrow the selection and possibly save some time by going over reviews. I do try staying away from getting to the specifics however. As long as a film got decent ratings and generally positive reviews, I consider watching it.

What Girls Said 26

• No. I find most reviews subjective. To me, the plot makes or breaks a movie/motion picture. I watch movies with plots that intrigue me. Quality about other details like cinematography and casting can be best witnessed by myself and not just heard from a review.

• I try not to, as reviews are subjective and I like weird things but my husband sticks with rotten tomatoes recommendations

• smart man. they're usually on the money.

• fuck feminism
      fuck sluts
      I want a traditional woman
      I want to marry a virgin
      why is life so difficult and prejudiced towards men?

#typical male GAGER

• 😂😂 lost it

• It depends on how good or bad they are. If it's mixed I'd still watch it however if all the reviews are bad I would be put off.
    Usually I go by the imdb ratings for guidance but even sometimes those can be a bit off.

• Sometimes. If it is a dependable site, then usually yes if the reviews are really bad. But even if a movie has 5 stars, then I'd only see it if I was truly interested, obviously.

• I've never read a single movie review and had it affect my movie seeing habits.
    I read the one for ghost busters saying it was bad and I really enjoyed it so *shrugs*

• Fudge no! Cause I have different taste than from them. I'll be the judge of a movie based on everything, but a critic's review.

• no not really... i gotta seee the film first then i'll decide

• Nope. Who looks at reviews?

• Nope. Art is subjective and everyone gots an opinion. Maybe if they are mixed or negative...

• Not really, sometimes I'm not as excited for a movie but I just think everyone has different opinions and I've loved some movies that got terrible reviews from critics

• Not really, I just read the summary and if it sounds good I'll watch it. Even if I see people think it's a bad movie or it's rated bad I want to judge myself.

• Noooooo. Never do that!! Reviews are shit!! Watch the movie for yourself then you'll make your own judgment 😊

• Yeah, I avoid shitty rated movies.

• Not at all, often times I have totally disagreed with film reviews anyways.

• I use to until I was talked into seeing a film with poor ratings that I absolutely loved!! Now I go based on the trailer tbh... most movies I see are based on books I've read

• No, most film reviewers and I wouldn't agree. They are as corrupt as all Hollywood.

• Yes but only the real reviews. Like Flixster, the movie critics suck at reviewing movies so I always go by what Flixster users say.

• No, their taste doesn't have to be mine. I watch it for myself

• No, they don't. I don't even watch / read it anyway

• yes they do.

• No, I watch the movie for myself

• no. I'm not easily influenced.

• i Don't read them most of the time

• haha no i have to see it myself to judge if the movies good or bad hehe

• Only if all the reviews are negative. If they're mixed, I'm very likely to give the film a try.

• No they don't. I don't even look at the reviews. If a movie seems interesting to me I'll watch it and if not I won't.

What Guys Said 21

• A little, I guess. I get irrationally angry at the loss of time spent on a bad, haha, so i'm very selective about what I watch. I usually wait to hear if something is generally getting good or bad reviews before committing to it.

• I don't have a favorite reviewer or anything like that, but generally speaking if the movie can't score over a 70 on Rotten Tomatoes then it'll probably either be forgettable or horrendous.

• They do. I don't really like movies and I see them very rarely (why is everything so long nowadays?), so I always read reviews first. If the reviews are bad, then I'm all but guaranteed not to like it because I typically don't like movies with good reviews. Through volunteer work I do, this past weekend I saw my first theater-movie in 5 years (Sing). Good god, whoever directed that has no clue about how to tell a story.

• No. Instead read the comments of people on youtube or elsewhere. Reviewers can never be trusted.

• I go by rotten tomatoes. The few times I ignored a low score I regretted it. It's fairly accurate for me.

• I pay no attention to reviews, based on my history of reading reviews, seeing the movie, them comparing the review to the movie.

• I only do with movies that look like they would be nominated for an academy award, if it's an action or comedy critics usually give bad reviews anyway so i always take it with a grain of salt

• Yes they do, I try to go for something higher than an 8 on IMDb cause i'm lazy. I have however seen movies I really enjoyed get a rather low score online so it's not perfect as it's all subjective.

• not really I think people rate movies diffrently an what I like may be dif. if I have a close friend or someone who likes similar movies I may listen more but if in wanna see something even if it's bad I will see it.

• If it's a movie I've never heard of I'll look up review but I go for a regular audience review instead of full time film critics

• Reviews by friends do. Professinal ones? Not really.

• No no really
    Like i heard the new jack reacher got bad reviews but im still going to go see it because thats my fav book series
    Oh or perfect example Dredd got shot reviews but in my opinion that was best movie of the year

• If a film gets a 2/10 I'm gonna think it's not too impressive

• Nope.

• only initially as i dont want to pay a ticket to a bad reviewed movie

• Yes. Reviews matter a lot to me and I take an average of multiple reviews :P but there comes few movies (very few actuallly) that I will watch no matter how's the review.

• Forgot to mention that reviews by people I know personally carries a lot more weight than online reviews.

• Um it depends But to tell you the truth I always watch 80s and 90s movies not many movies from this decade but I do get happy when movie critics like a movie I like or Internet movie critics like Nostalgia Critic or The Cinema Snob have you ever watched Internet movie critics?

• #TRAILERS are life.

• Depends on the genre. For example if its gonna be an action blockbuster then no, I woudnt check the reviews cuz I know its gonna get low ratings most of the time.

• They influence my choice to pay in order to watch a movie.

• no. the critics usually deviate from what I like. they praised the village and I hated it