Would it be immoral to rob the bank account of a crime lord/shadow depository (Farscape related)?

So I was talking about Farscape recently with a buddy and in the show one of the lead characters children has been sold into slavery and along with the entire people of another protagonists, now they want to buy the whole lot to save them but they are basically flat broke and not like an insanely rich group of individuals so to get the money they need they rob a shadow depository which is the bank for terrorists, crime leaders, slavers, really any assorted scum.
also Guardians of the Galaxy is basically a farscape sucessor

Most Helpful Girl

• Does it matter? It's a game.
    It's not like police chase you in real life after playing GTA.

• its a TV show actually and an excellent one,
      Would the cops chase you after robbing the mob?
      Or would you get a bunch of hitters on your ass

• It's a rich persons problem and they deserve it for hiding money illegally.

• my thoughts exactly

What Girls Said 2

• I think this topic of debate is referred to as word of the law vs. spirit of the law or something like that. I find myself pondering the same thing all the time. Wish I had a good answer to this, but I got nothin but a bunch of conspiracy theories that may or may not be bogus af. I'll spare you on all that lol

• Theft is theft.

What Guys Said 18

• In this situation it's morally forgivable, but it is by no means moral. Immoral act for a moral cause.
    Really everything falls into the categories:
    Immoral
    Morally forgivable
    Moral
    Amoral

• Depends on your moral standpoint

• There is a fundamental question which we answer for ourselves: does the end justify the means? Either answer can be justified.

• totally moral in my opinion.

• You should try to return some of the money to the victims. "should". But I wouldn't.

• Who cares? If I knew I'd never get caught (at least with a 95% probability) I'd do it anyway, real life, game, or TV show doesn't matter. Robbing the Mafia vs Mother Theresa is beside the point when I'm $10M richer and no one is onto me. Legally it doesn't matter who the target of theft is, it's still theft and you will face the same prison sentence (though if it's the Mafia you might be able to make a deal and snitch for a reduced sentence in the WPP). Though that's also beside the point if I never get caught.

• The bank or its insurance would have to refund the bank account of the crime lord/shadow depository.
    And who would pay it? All customers together. Thus it would be immoral.

• Well, so the real life version is switzerland?
      I'd be perfectly okay with letting Switzerland pay, I'm of the opinion that the Swiss people as I've seen them brag they have direct democracy, seem to be on a larger portion okay with all of that the swiss public is essentially complicit in money laundering for the nasties and most vile criminals in the world.
      Anyone who banks with a swiss bank, well, as long as no one is injured or killed, I'd actually prefer it if they lost their money

• Panama still, even after noriega (who actually tried to sue from his french prison cell the devs of Call of duty Black ops for portraying him as a dictator)

• I know all bout it. My last boss' family fortune went through Panama, back then (I should peek at the Panama Papers leak if they've been exposed. ;)

• Loved those episodes. The real world equivalent would be plundering the Swiss bank accounts of cartel bosses and dictators. I don't think there's anything ethically wrong with it, especially if you use the money for a good cause.

• Of course the police still have to chase you because some dumb people would interpret the police not chasing you as having permission to rob anything and anyone.

• Immoral? Yes, since you might not be right in your assumptions. Also, even if you are right, you are still breaking the law. However, the other person is also breaking the law, and since no punishment was applied, it might be seen as proper punishment. But it's not. It's just a thief stealing from a criminal. Nothing more, nothing less.

• I don't think it would be immoral. You're taking blood and drug money and using it for something good

• A crime is a crime.

• So you're saying a backroom deal in Congress can determine what is ethically ok and what is not?

• No, I guess you didn't, I didn't give you the chance to explain what you mean by a "crime" other than it being illegal under the law.

• @JohnDoe3000 mhmmm and what I meant by that is that a crime is a crime meaning the ends don't always justify the means, or that how is one person breaking the law better then someone else breaking the law just because they might have slightly better intentions? Get what I am saying, it's wrong regardless about 90% of the time.

• Take what you want; give nothing back

• You are not thinking big enough. If you want to rob scum rob national banks instead.

• I would say it's ok as long as the money is returned to those it was taken from.

• yes it would be, because you might be misunderstanding them...

• depends on the local laws

• It could be, depends on your moral stance. For one thing, guilty or no, you are denying him his right to a day in court and a trial by a jury of his peers, and deciding on your own that seizing his assets is punishment.