So the list of Academy award nominees got released, does anyone else think think the list implies it was a bad year for movies?

Most Helpful Girl

• To be honest I do feel this wasn't a great year for movies. I'm usually really excited for award season and this year I'm just not interested at all.

Most Helpful Guy

• i haven't seen any of the movies so i can't say if it's been a down year for movies

What Girls Said 1

• I haven't paid attention to the Academy awards for years. I feel like they've become so political and pc. They stopped picking people/movies based on skill long ago.

What Guys Said 14

• I've noticed they are very crazy over that La La Land movie

• No, not really... I mean many of the actors are talented, the ones that seem to be getting the most attention seem like really good movies... and popular (with reason) the others, many of which I haven't personally seen, I have on my list of films I personally wanted to see (not because of some fancy list by an elitist Hollywood fancy critic, but because my friends have recommended them, or the trailers have looked great.

I saw Hidden Figures... loved it. Want to see "Arrival" and "Passengers." Captain Fantastic and Lala land are on my
    List. Fences was recommended a lot as a character study, differences between actors in the play and actors in the movie... scene comparisons. So while I have yet to see it, it seems well written... just not generally my type of movie.

Kubo was on my list, (haven't seen it yet), but most of my animator friends (I have a degree in animation) have recommended it... and I liked Zootopia... maybe not the most amazing memorable animated movie I've ever seen, but still enjoyable and well done.

So actually, many of the movies that have been recommended are films I have either heard really good things about, or they have fairly decent actors behind them, so I would think they have some valid reasons to be on the list...

• No I don't think so. I usually heavily disagree with the Oscars' nominations each year anyway -- let alone with those that win out of those nominations. I still remember some choices here and there by the Academy -- even years and years ago -- that make me shake my head to this day. xD

It might have been a weak year for movies that are strictly in the "drama" genre, but that's been a problem for a looong time now, not just 2016. The public just doesn't respond to straight-up drama movies anymore (as much as they did during Hollywood's Golden Age), so such movies don't get funded as much, which reduces the pool of possible drama movies, which reduces the chances of getting a truly great drama movie.

But in other genres that don't usually attract Oscars, there were several movies that I liked:

There was some stuff that was pretty special to me this year, as a superhero fan, for example.

As a fan of Westerns too, I was pleasantly surprised by the remake of "The Magnificent Seven"; honestly, that Western was better than current Best Picture nominee "Hell or High Water" to me, which I found really overrated (and this is coming from someone who is all for "serious drama" in Westerns).

And even as a fan of cheesy 80s-90s action movies (on which I grew up), 2016 produced the underrated flick "Criminal" with Kevin Costner, which is a TRUE example of a very specific category that I'd call the "retro, rated-R, action flick for adults". It's actually very rare for me to find ANY movie in the past 10 years that I'd say fits into that category (and no, the "Expendables" and "Olympus Has Fallen" movies do NOT fit into it, in my perspective, even though they claim to be).

• Are you really surprised? Now a days it's just remakes of already made movies and remakes of remakes and books turned movies or comics turned movies etc. Same shit, different setting.

• I mean I don't know cuz I haven't seen La La Land an' shit. Of course Fences and Hidden Figures would get nominated, along with Hacksaw Ridge which was an obvious drama sponge.

When you contend with Mad Max, the Big Short, Room and Spotlight, there isn't much room

• I'm just waiting to see if people bitch if there aren't any black award winners.

• It's always a bad year for movies, ever since corporations took over Hollywood, say since about 1960.

• none of those movies nominated for best picture really excite me. I enjoyed a lot of movies this year, but out of the oscar worthy it wasn't as good as last year.

• It kinda was a year for bad movies

• Considering that I don't think I had heard of any of the best picture nominees, yes.

• No, it only implies the Acadamy is run by a bunch of drama loving feminists.

• I laughed last year at seeing liberal hollywood turn on itself over claims of racial discrimination.

• Terrible year for movies

• No it implies the Academy is shit at nominating good movies.