For you, is 1984 by George Orwell a good book?

1984 is often mentioned among the books nearly everyone recommends reading. With that popularity and countless referrals, I think it's a good book to read and I think it would be fun to see whether it's really great or not. I haven't read the book yet so I have no idea whether it's good or bad.

For you, is 1984 by George Orwell a good book? For those who have read it, what makes it stand out among other books out there?

• Yes, it is! Read it, Cccgala!
  • I think it's not a good book.
  • I have other opinions.
    Vote C

Most Helpful Guy

• Orwell was a brilliant writer. He saw where the West was going decades before most did. 1984 is not for the faint-hearted reader though. Start with some of his shorter stuff - Animal Farm is a good one - and avoid the temptation to get one of the movie versions first to get a feel for it. It doesn't work, kind of like trying to understand Tolkien by watching Lord of the Rings before you read it, or Harry Potter.

Just to warn you though, I suspect Trump may think it's a "how to" guide, or "presidency for dummies" manual...

• That must mean that 1984 is close to being a prophetic work of literature. :D I will definitely read the book first before viewing the motion picture. Thank you very much :D

• My pleasure.

Like I said, it's a brilliant book by a very intelligent writer. I read it as a teenager and a few times since.

Orwell wasn't "prophetic" as much as a student of human nature. William Golding showed similar insight into mankind's unnerving ability for sociopath behaviour in "Lord of the Flies", just with a slightly different perspective. Arthur Miller's play "The Crucible" was "about" the Salem witch trials, but it's timing was clearly looking at McCarthy's "witch hunt" for communists at the time - comparable to Trump's hunt for, well anybody today. Both works equally worth the read, but I'd suggest watching "The Crucible" before reading it - it is a play, after all!

Most Helpful Girl

• 1984 is great, other amazing dystopia books/literature to read: Animal Farm, Brave New World, We, The Handmaid's Tale, It Can't Happen Here, Fahrenheit 451, Shades of Grey- Road to High Saffron, The Lathe of Heaven.

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 21

• Yes, it IS truly a great book. :)

Of course, it is famous largely because of its ideas about government, media, totalitarianism, and authority in general and how it controls people's thinking, etc.

BUT, just as a book in general that is supposed to engage/interest/entertain the reader, I found it really well written too. :) This part is up to subjective taste of course, but I felt it flowed pretty well and keeps you anxious about what will happen next --- especially once the setting is established and the plot really gets going --- so I flew through that book really quickly, which is more than I can say about some other books. xD

• "... keeps you anxious about what will happen next" I hope there aren't any cliffhangers there!
      This opinion is detailed and truly comes from the heart. Thank you very much :D

• No problem! I hope you like it! :D

• It could be the worst book ever written, from a literary point of view. But people are pushing so many policies in the modern age that seem ripped straight from it's pages, so it seems like it should be required reading anyways!

• It's always helps if you get to see the other team's playbook. :)

• 1|0
  • 1984 and Animal Farm
    The greatest books i ever red.
    If you have the capacity, it can give you a lot of insight.

• I recommend it, specially if u are fan of a dystopia future. besides that we have "Brave New World", which is pretty good too. It is another dystopia where society is divided in alpha, beta and gama humans (hence the origin of the concept alpha males in nowadays popular culture)

but there is another great book which is very underrated is "Lord of the World", written by the priest Robert Hugh Benson. Even Pope Benedictus XVI and Pope Francis have recommended and cited that book once in a public speech. That says a lot of how near we are of world ruled by the Antichrist

• I'm not a die-hard fan, per se, but I'm willing to immerse myself in a whole new genre.

Two recommendations from former popes are signs that "Lord of the World" is a great read. Thank you :D

• yeah "Lord of the World" is really really underrated.. it's way more "prophetic" than both "Brave new world" and "1984". The main antagonist, Julian Felsenburgh, which is actually the Antichrist of the novel, shares some similarities with Barack Obama. and that novel was written around 1900. the author was spot on...

• I saw the movie and it was a very good movie.

• It has a movie? I'll add that to my must watch movies! I'll read the book first. Thank you :D

• Your very welcome. Yes the movie is a collector's item and might be hard to find. I was fortunate enough to have a dvd copy. But if you get a chance to see the movie you will enjoy it.

• 😀😀

• it's a good book but i think animal farm is better.

• I see. If you don't mind me asking, why do you think Animal Farm is better? Is it similar to 1984 or is it vastly different from 1984?

• Thank you very much :D

• it's pretty different. i just felt like Animal Farm, despite being about farm animals felt more realistic as a real life scenario than 1984. 1984 felt more like a fantasy story whereas animal farm felt like a very realistic allegory... but i think that is the point. animal farm was more allegorical whereas 1984 was more of a fantasy sort of story about what could happen

• For me personally, I read to feel good and keep my mind of my troubles. This book is pretty dark and depressing. It's very well written and has many great aspects to it, but if you're looking for cheery this is not the book for you😂

• I love that book, because even though it is old, we are still able to relate to it based off our own context, out society today is even similar in some aspects to it, I must end this opinion now, BIG BROTHER is watching me

• I do hear everyone referring to the book as a political one through the leadership presented in the book. Also, why is everyone here mentioning someone called "Big Brother"? I guess I need to read the book to find out. Thank you very much :D

• Its a great book! Definitely a must read for anyone Sci fi fans or not! Its a book written in the 1950s that depicts the future. Its scary how accurate it is to today's world with Big Brother.

• It's a good book.

• Great book, especially when paired with Brave New World. It really makes you more critical of everything you read/see. For a good reason, too.

• Reading one of the political threads on here reminded me of the "two minute hate" from 1984, where the proles come together to shout and scream at someone their leaders have told them is terrible.

• Read animal farm to

• I will read Animal Farm before 1984 since I heard the former is shorter than 1984. Thank you for the suggestion :D

• Animal farm was a good book

• ahhh, i really love to read books all the time, i wish i could read books.

• From what I heard it's fascinating and even relevant to everything now

• Never read it

• I've never read it, but I hear all the time that the book is accurate to what's going on today?

• Have no idea..

• I haven't read the book yet.

• I prefer 'Mein Kampf'

• I severely hope that was a joke at any rate Hitler wasn't an idiot who is quite intelligent man but still a moron no expansionist government / country can maintain itself for very long it simply isn't possible I don't sympathize with the Nazis I think they're a bunch of idiots that thing all the problems can be fixed buy brute force and ignorance if you honestly support the Nazis I think you're a failure as a human being

• Mein Kampf? Isn't that Hitler's autobiography?

• Pretty much, yeah.

What Girls Said 7

• It was a great book! I thoroughly enjoyed it. The idea of this specific futuristic society, the ideas in general, are what really stand out. It's like Hunger Games written by Stephen King with inspiration from Cassandra Clare. The ending had me throw the book at the wall! This is the first and only time I actually ever threw a book. So yes, read it. Big Brother is watching, after all. It's a fairly short read as well, takes 2-14 days

• What made you throw the book at the wall? Were you disappointed? It makes me more curious enough to have the actual book on my hands! :D Thank you for the spoiler hahaha

• I was just shocked at the twist. . . You'll have to find out.

• while i didn't care for the book itself, i definitely think we can learn something from it and it's still relevant today.

• SPOILER!
    Its super depressing because in the end they were even able take away their love. Its an awful book in a good way. I think it more as a warning not to let it get to that point.

• I liked it but its not my favorite dystopian novel. I liked Fahrenheit 451 better.

• Why Fahrenheit 451? What was in Fahrenheit 451 that 1984 didn't?

• "the government sees and knows all" You know you carry a personal tracking device that can be used to record all your conversations with you all the time, don't you? We're carrying our view screens (or whatever the 2-way TVs were called in 1984) around with us.

• @goaded yeah thats true. But its worse in 1984. They even know your thoughts. They have a police force called the Thought Police. Its like North Korea. Like speakers in your house that you can't take out and when the government talks on the speakers, you have to listen. If you dont, they will know because they know what you're thinking.

• It was boring to me but good in the sense that whatever was in the book seems to be relatable Today.

• My dad loves that book, and I read it and it's a pretty good book.

• I never read it