If there was a new color would we be able to see it? Or our fotoreceptors won't be able to process it?

So imagine there is a new color but we can't process it. Like we are blind for that color because we never saw it.

0|0
4|6

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, techinally there won't be any new colors because they simply occupy a range of frequencies on the electromagnetic spectrum. However, you are right in that our fotoreceptors will only pick up a certain range of those frequencies where some other animals can "see" a broader range of frequencies that we cannot. And note that color balance is also affected by the types of receptors we have, so what we see isn't necessarily reality, it is how humans perceive the world around us.

0|0
    0|0
    • I found out that there are humans with 4 types of cones that can see 99million more colors

• Yet, none of the colors are new, they already exist in the spectrum and there are an infinite number of colors an any given defined range of visible light. Some animals can see infrared and ultraviolet energy.

Most Helpful Guy

• Really there is no such thing as a new color. Light is a specific range of electromagnetic radiation frequencies where red has low frequency (longer wavelength) and violet has high frequency (shorter wavelength). You can see every color in between. If you shorten the wavelengths beyond violet, you get ultraviolet light. If you lengthen wavelengths beyond red, you get infrared, neither of which humans can see. Even longer wavelengths become radio waves and microwaves. Even shorter wavelengths become X-rays and gamma rays.

You could look at microwaves or X-rays as colors humans can't see. Every one of these "colors" already exists.

It might be possible to evolve or genetically engineer sensitivity to radiation beyond the visible spectrum. Boa constrictors are thought to "see" infrared, for example. Some insects and fish see UV light.

0|0
    0|0
    • i meant new to humans. Yeah man its just that when you think about how little we know about this universe you can't stop imagining what are we missing

• I see what you mean. :-) That's what's so cool about science to me. Every question you answer only creates more questions.

• Thank you for MHO.

What Girls Said 3

• That is actually true. Some people have an extra receptor and can see a wider spectrum of colors. I kinda think of it like the clarity of a photo related to pixels. We can only see a certain number of pixels and color blind people see fewer pixels. It's kinda interesting to think about.

0|0
    0|0
    • thinking about stuff like this makes me high

• i just saw that and they are called tetrachromats. They see 99 millions colors more than us. Damn

• It was used as a plot point in the TV show Grimm. It was a nice tie-in

• It is proven that there are tons of colours we can't seen that other animals can.

0|0
    0|0
  • Our minds would process the color, but it would place it in a category. Which is where we get our secondary versus our primary colors.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 5

• Scientists have discovered another color. We are unable to see it and instead see regular colors in its place.

0|0
    0|0
  • There're already many colours beyond our spectrum. The mantis shrimp for one, can see them.

0|0
    0|0
    • Do you think there's another main color that we can't see that creates millions of combinations with the colors we see?

• Show All
    • i just made further research and humans have 3 types of cones for red, blue and green but the mantis shrimp has 16 types so they have 13 more primary colors­čśŽ imagine the possibilities. Combinations of there 16 primary colors could lead to almost infinite numbers of colors. Damn what a world

• I wholly agree. I'd love to experience it. :)

• Butterflies can see more colors than us. there's a lot of colors we can't see.

0|0
    0|0
  • I can't imagine it because we wouldn't be able to see it.

0|0
    0|0
  • You could mess around with Microsoft Paint for a while and see what happens.

0|0
    0|0