Movies that enlighten you - tips?

I am looking for tips movies, these movies that enlightens you and makes you say "wow" at the end and makes you think about life and death and the world we are living. (Hope that made sense)

I just saw American Beauty, that was exactly such a movie. So was Fight Club, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and in a sense also Amelie From Montmartre and Office Space.

The key-word in what I'm looking for is "enlightening".

Most Helpful Girl

• American History X

• What's with the down arrow? American History X is more thought-provoking than some of the other movies listed here.

• There you go, I gave an up-arrow =)

• I appreciate it, but that wasn't really my issue. American History X is a good movie lol

What Girls Said 4

• Keith- Made me think about life and what I do with it, how the cards are dealt could be a good metaphor for what I mean

The boat that rocked- Really reminded me of what true music is and how it is one of the things that really unites people.

About a boy- You never really know what a person has going on, and what their story is.

I am Sam- Really made me cry, and it made me think about how misunderstood people can be and how judgmental our society is.

K-Pax- How large our universe is and believing in our own thoughts rather than leaning on others ideas.

• -American Beauty, by far one of my favorites

-Donnie Darko, ehh it makes you think !

- Children of Men

- Into the Wild

- La Vite E Bella -Life is beautiful -soooooo good :')

- The Virgin Suicides- <3

-

• atonement!

and the duchess is another one

• Misread the question I don't think mine really fit... but maybe they do no idea lol sorry

• Zeitgeist - except for the part about religion, but it still makes you think.

The Man from Earth

The Stoning of Soraya M.

Apocalypto

What Guys Said 5

• I think I kind of get what you mean by enlightening, but its kind of hard to think of movies with an "enlightening" ending. Possibly The Last Samurai, Children of Men, and maybe V for Vendetta (It at least has a couple powerful moments) and Saving Private Ryan.

• The Human Condition, Japanese movie about the 1940 war with China. This will be enlightening!

• Donnie Darko

Ben X

• Benjamin Button, Clockwork Orange, Neon Genesis Evangelion(its an anime, but it will blow your mind), Pulp Fiction, Watchmen, The Matrix(only the first one), Meet Joe Black, Hotel Rwanda, Tears of the Sun, Rocky 1,

• I guess you could say that about A Clockwork Orange, or at least the original book-version of it (the move is missing the last chapter from the book). But the key word in what I'm looking for is "enlightment". I find it hard to explain. But movies like Pulp Fiction is not really what I'm looking for, because there isn't really any "enlightment", unless I have missed out on something.

• Platoon. Hotel Rwanda. Black Hawk Down. Passion of the Christ. Avatar. Saving Private Ryan.

Blood Diamond. Pearl Harbor.