What Are Your Favorite Movies?

If you had to give me a suggestion, which movies should I see before I die? And why?

Most Helpful Girl

• RENT!

What Guys Said 113

• 12 Angry Men (this is a must, its black and white but amazing - esp for the time era, really tho go rent it)

Dog Day Afternoon

The Shawshank Redemption

The Blind Side

The Magestic (yes jim carey can do things besides comedy)

Me Myself and Irene

Stand By Me

Enemy At The Gates

Inside Man

John Q

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Saving Private Ryan

City Of God

Mystic River

Men Of Honor

i could go on but I'm at work and just getting off my break...lol check out those tho...i tend to like movies that are based on true stories because they are just so cool and inspiring

• Great Expectations (with Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow)

Before Sunrise and Before Sunset (Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy)

50 First Dates

The above are the best romantic movies I can think of quickly.

The Count of Monte Cristo (with Jim Caviezel)

A great combination of action, romance and humor

Shrek Forever After, though you should watch the first three

Toy Story 3, though you should watch the first two (I freely admit I cry every time I watch these 2 movies)

Great overall animation and what appear to be the final movies in the series wrap up sweetly and with great messages

Beauty and the Beast

movie about true beauty

From Paris with Love

movie with a twist

• I don't have a favorite movie, I have different favorites from each genre.

Mystery/thriller: The Game starring Michael Douglas.

Horror: The original Nightmare on Elm Street or Phantasm

Action: Big Trouble in Little China

Sci Fi: Mission to Mars

Fantasy/Adventure: The Hobbit (the Rankin-Bass animated movie from the 70s), Dragonheart, or Excalibur

Sports-related: The Program, Days of Thunder, or Necessary Roughness.

Comedy: Monty Python & The Holy Grail

• Face/Off

Along Came a Spider

Shawshank Redemption

Men In Black ONE (second was bad)

Bad Boys I and II

The Alien TRILOGY (don't watch Resurrection, the fourth, it sucks)

Saving Private Ryan

TV series - The Young Ones

V for Vendetta

The Fifth Element

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

The Weatherman

Memoirs of a Geisha

Bottom (lots of different shows and on-stage performances, too many to list)

Maybe the majority of those you've already seen, but I'd say a fair few of those are worth pitching up and watching. Everyone else seems to love them. :)

• - Saving Private Ryan

- Black Hawk Down

- Schindler's List

- Leon (aka The Professional, but you want the original, uncut version)

- Heat

- Ronin

- The Usual Suspects

- Unforgiven

- LA Confidential

- Snatch

- Old School

- Eurotrip

- Ferris Beuller's Day Off

Nothing fall-specific, but I *always* watch Die Hard around Christmas time.

• Christiane F. It's so DIRGED, and I like anything true, like any artistic depiction of something that really happened with affable accuracy. Christiane F herself was on the production team for the film, and she said it was more or less accurate to her life. And that's really amazing considering the film... I also like the HOLY depictions of David Bowie. My mentor told me, 'It's a film about a 13-year old heroin addict trying to make her way to a Bowie gig.' Long before I'd even watched it I was very much in love with it.

Other favorite films include David Lynch's Eraserhead, which is just unnecessarily horrifying and very very beautiful, and contains the best sex scene ever, and uh... A Real Young Girl, which is just... Artistic childporn, essentially. It's about a 14 year old girl from a french farming family coming to sexual maturity, and it depicts everything as decrepit and disgusting, and it's real foul but evocative, and auughhhh it's beautiful. It made in 1970 and was outlawed internationally until 2010, such is it's extremity. And uhm... The Aristocats, ahaha. Just because, O'MALLEY, MAN. Jazz cats. It's what got me into jazz, junk and l'bohemme, I owe a lot to that film. Plus, LAFAYETTE, just kills me, man.

• Lost in the wild

Emotional connections are key and this movie always plays with my heart strings. It's actually painful to watch but still captivating. If I was capable of crying this would be the movie I would loose it to. Especially the narration throughout by his sister.

A must see if you already haven't.

• "The Godfather" (1972) & "The Godfather Part II" (1974)

Reason: Generally regarded to be the best films of all-time.

"The Eagle" (1925)

Reason: My favorite silent film of all-time.

"Eraserhead" (1977)

A cult favorite. It's super quirky and most people love it or hate it.

"Cannibal! The Musical" (1996)

Written and directed by South Park's Trey Parker, this live action film was made while Parker and Matt Stone were in college. It's loosly based on a true story. The beginning sequence might be kinda gross for some, but it's really a funny movie.

"North By Northwest" (1959)

Reason: It's a classic

"Dumb & Dumber" (1994)

Reason: One of my favorite comedies. Also check out another Farrelly brothers' hit: "There's Something About Mary" (1998).

"Weird Science" (1985)

Reason: Writer/director John Hughes was practically the William Shakespeare of the 1980's. This teen comedy was one of his was my favorite Hughes movies. He was also responsible for "Home Alone" (1990) which is also a must see.

"Murder By Death"

Reason: It's a funny, silly comedy

"Terminator" (1984) & "Terminator 2: Judgement Day" (1991)

Reason: "Terminator 2" was a special effects masterpiece, but if you watch it, you should watch the first "Terminator" film first.

"Mr. Deeds Goes To Town" (1936)

It's a bit better than the Adam Sandler remake and worth watching.

"Field of Dreams" (1989)

While this movie appears to be about baseball, it's really about a relationship between a man and his father, and deals with the topic of mortality.

Also any and every James Bond film.

• I haven't seen a lot of the movies that you suggested, but Eraserhead?...really? lol. I know it was an inspirational film for "The Shining," but if you could throw all the weirdest and randomest thing into a movie...that would be Eraserhead. lol.

• For the record, I find The Godfather positively ponderous. Heat is more dynamic and modern.

• Dumber and Dumb rocks too.

• just drawing from your list my picks are:

pulp fiction

shawshank redemption

beavis and butthead do America

one flew over the cuckoo's nest

a clockwork orange

taxi driver

• Footloose is one of my all time favorites. I don't like how they remade it, it doesn't deserve to be remade.

• back door sluts 9

• Nightmare Before Christmas - Jack Skellington, king of Halloweentown, discovers Christmas Town, but doesn't quite understand the concept.

It's the only musical I like and I'm a fan of the Halloween/Gothic aesthetic

also Gattaca - hard to explain but it's a future of human engineering and how we can make people more strong, clever, beautiful from birth and how that affects society/individuals

It's very slick and entertaining

• Taken one (2008) starring Liam Neeson

Have a list of other movies but this movie is one that touches my heart always

• The best of the best?

Your question reminds me of my literature teacher in HS who always said 'The best has still to be written'. A great teacher!

You might want to pick your choice here: link or here: link

• I have seen way too many movies to really have a true favorite, but I guess if I had to choose one movie to have on a desert island it would probably be Citizen Kane. My favorite actor and actress who are currently working are Michael Fassbender and Kate Winslet.

• The Lion King

Toy Story (all 3)

The Land Before Time (1-4)

Star Wars (1; 3-6)

The Shawshank Redemption

Donnie Darko

Saving Private Ryan

Pokemon (1-3)

Princess Mononoke

Jurassic Park

Fight Club

Beavis and Butthead do America

Silence of the Lambs

The Goodfellas

• I haven't seen Friday...saw the first star wars and actually hated it...I want to see The shawshank redemption (even the name is cool.) lol. Never saw Princess Mononoke, fightclub, beavis and butthead do America, or goodfellas. Thanx for the suggestions! (:

• No problem :)

• A hearty recommendation for Princess Mononoke from me.

• 1.The Godfather (All parts).

2.Shawshank redemption.

3.Never back Down(2008).

4.A Walk to remember...

• goodfellas

jacob's ladder

• Nightmare Before Christmas,

I guess I like it because Tim Burton has this weird cartoonish-gothic style which I find appealing

also it's a musical that has songs which I don't hate(which is rare)

• Nightmare Before Christmas

pulp fiction

kill bill

fight club

total recall

Forrest gump

• my most favorite movie and always still will be is

THE WAR OF THE WORLDS (the 1953 george pal version) along with the TV series

i grew up with that movie and I love the war machines designed by Al Nozaki they always will top any alien craft in other sci fi movies also the actors are my fave also

• goodfellas

• I love fall time XD, winter as well but I'm really liking fall so far.

Anyway I listen to rock mainly, still stuck on this

What are you listening to?

• My favorite movie has to be Dumb and Dumber but that might change. Its just a choice I have had since I was about so I might have to reevaluate that now that I'm older. I like it because it got me through a tough month in 2000 lol. Plus its so funny!

• Favourite Movie: Platoon, I have seen it well over 100 times (that is no exaggeration, at one point I knew all of the lines). It's just an amazing movie, really powerful stuff.

Favourite Actor: Al Pacino...the f***ing man!

Favourite Actress: Probably Meryl Streep, she's just very, very talented.

Favourite Colour: Blue

Favourite Comedy TV Show: All In The Family

• btw, how can you NOT have a favorite movie? ... is that even possible?

• Se7en

Law Abiding Citizen

American History X

Eternal sunshine of the Spotless Mind (youll like this one)

Blade Runner

The Assisanation Of Jesee James by the Coward Robert Ford

Fight Club

Shawshank Redemption

Black Hawk Down

American Beauty

• American Pie1234,Nightmare on Elm Street,And the Santa Clause

American pie because it is funny

Nightmare on elm street because it is a scary concept

The Santa clause because it reminds me of happier times in my life

And here is a hanky for your tears ;) lol

• My movies part one & two

• The Bucket List

• Yea. That's always a classic. I actually saw it the other day for the second time! (:

• More from Guys

What Girls Said 85

• My Name is Khan - I think all Americans should see this movie, plus its simply amazing

Psycho - because Hitchcock is awesome

North By Northwest - same as above

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - it has a very interesting perspective on life

8 1/2 - This might just be because I'm a huge Fellini fan...

The Princess Bride -

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - I've never met anyone that has seen it and doesn't love it

City of God - one of the best films of the past decade

Once Upon a Time in the West - nothing better than a good spaghetti western

Man With a Movie Camera

Wristcutters: A Love Story

Citizen Kane

Any Pixar Film

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Food, Inc. -it will change the way you think about food

The 400 Blows

• Drama - The Breakfast Club. I saw it first when I was 13, which I think is the perfect age for people to see it. It taught me (even though this sounds so elementary) to not judge someone just by their reputation or outward appearance. They might end up being more like you than anyone else, or the one who understands you most.

Fantasy/Adventure - Dragonheart. Sean Connery is just the perfect voice for that dragon. I love reciting the old code when I watch it... The whole plot is just amazing... but I don't want to summarize it for those who haven't seen it. It would ruin the experience. I always cry during the last scene, though... more than I've cried at any chick flick.

Comedy - Encino Man/My Big Fat Greek Wedding/The Sandlot. Encino Man was one of the first roles Brendan Fraser had - a caveman who came back to life after being frozen for millions of years after some random average Joe-type guy digs him up out of his backyard. He makes the guy and his friend (Pauly Shore - LOVE him!) really popular.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding is very reminiscent of how my parents got married - My mom was older, still lived with her parents, just worked and never really dated much at all. Her parents didn't like my dad right away because he wasn't Greek, but they were eventually over it.

The Sandlot - Need I say more? It's a classic for a reason.

Family (could also be Adventure) - Free Willy. I don't care if people make fun of me for loving this movie. I just do. I always love the story of two loners who are somewhat rejected or neglected by the majority, but find each other and connect and understand one another. It sums up how some of my closest friendships formed.

Kids/Animated - Space Jam/Nightmare Before Christmas. I'll always be a fan of MJ (by the way, Michael Jordan is the ONLY MJ. Jackson doesn't count!). This movie was just always fun and silly... I was really into basketball when I was little, so I watched this a lot.

Nightmare got me exposed and attached to the gothic style early in life. I'm sure that I annoyed my mom with how often I watched this one... I was only 3 or 4 when it was released, but I fell in love with it instantly. Again, a story of two loners, but in this one they fall in love. The guy is the king and is adored by everyone but doesn't have anyone to love him, while the girl admires him from afar. The perfect chick flick. Even a lot of guys will watch this one.

• I'm gonna mix it up and skip The Dark Knight and instead choose Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

GPB, this movie is about two showgirls, Lorelei Lee and Dorothy. Mrs. Lee, Marilyn Monroe, is being tailed by a detective hired by her dopey fiancee's father. Did I mention the fiancee is incredibly rich, so that's why pops hired this detective. On a cruise, Lee meets Piggy, another wealthy man, who gets her into all sorts of trouble and of course Dorothy has to help get her out of the mess, all the while dodging the detecive. GPB is a funny movie, it's well made, and has great songs.

• Just to name some lol

Cruel intentions : I like how all the character come together and they all have different motives and all used well mostly hahah in a way but the way he got killed...yeah...that was just...no. I didn't like that part. lol but the rest was good.

Dreamcatcher: what's not to love?

Walk to remember : It's so sweeet and sad lol

Gilda: Rita Hayworth is amazing in this film imo. She pulls it off perfectly. I love how nothing is as it seems and how he tries to be the strong man without no feeling and yet it's not true. Just a great movie.

Wall-E: It's so freakin' cute!

Fireball: It's a sad movie and it's just interesting how no matter what the brother who takes his twins place will come through no matter what. Strong mofo. hahahha. And of course hot guys who kick each others asses..whats not to love?

• Good question!

That'll take some time for me to unravel, though. I generally like the old B&W flicks, but like a pretty broad range of them. It would be hard to narrow down, lol. I'll repost after I've had more time to consider the question. Just tagging it for now to see what the GAnG is going to post. :-)

• I guess it depends on what kind of mood you are in.

Horrible bosses

The human centipede

The spy next store

The messenger

The notebook

Full metal jacket

White chicks

Because I said so

something's gotta give

Rush hour one & 2

bangkok dangerous not the original.

guess that's enough...hahah.

• human centipede...

why is that one of your favourites?

• lol. Because it's sick/twisted and I suppose that is what makes it good. Besides it is one of the better horror movies that has been released lately.

• Into The Wild

Garden State

Forrest Gump

Remember Me

John Tucker Must Die

• 1. Hot Rod

It's ridiculously funny, not sure if your into that type of humor though

2. Anchorman

You haven't lived until you have seen this movie...its hilarious!

3. Serenity

One of the better sci-fy movies, and its funny too

4. The Bourne Series

One of the best action movie series in my opinion

5. No Country For Old Men

It will give you goosebumps! (and not just because its a great movie)

6. The Other Guys

really good combo of action and comedy

7. Dark Night

one of the best action movies made!

8. Aristocats

awesome disney movie, and the songs are pretty sweet too.

9. Talladega Nights

will ferrel, need I say more?

I can't think of another one off the top of my head!

• American beauty. Because there is so much reality and truth hidden in that dark comedy. The older I get the more I realize this.

• My favorite movie is Napoleon Dynamite. It's genius.

• This is tough lol, mine is a big toss up between jaws, raiders of the lost arl, silence of the lambs, blade runner and lord of the rings but as my sister is such a tolkien fan my vote goes to LOTR fellowship :)

• of all time? Grease

then theres:

Dazed and Confused

Pretty in Pink

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

The Breakfast Club

Sixteen candles

Flash Dance

Dirty Dancing

The Hangover

Grease 2

• the little mermaid =) lol I also like firewall and paranormal acitvity the first and second

• Dead Poets Society. I love that movie <3

• - enough

- pursuit of happyness

- nightmare on elm street

- hangover

- Jennifer's body

- taken

- shrek

- anger management

-a walk to remember

• The Notebook, X men First Class, sixteen candles, green lantern, easy A, letters to Juliet, Expendables, Dark Shadows, so many more but somehow I've gone blank at the moment

• 1) Batman: The Dark Knight

2) The Pianist

3) Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

• godfather part 1

forest gump

the graduate

the usual suspects

• taken has been my favorite movie so far. buried is also a good one, though it's ending really sucks. :)

• The Usual Suspects...

it's such a mindf***. highly recommended.

• Keyzer Soze! :O

• well I'm calling you slipz, and I'm already starting to feel cool, I feel oily for some reason too whenever I think about it..

• lmfao. interesting... :p

• i love butterfly effect very intresting movie! :D

• Yea. That was interesting. I hate the ahole brother, though. ):

• Director's cut is better than the cinematic release.

BE2 was a huge let down after this.

BE3 a slight return to form but not in the same league as BE 1 TDC

• wait which one is where he kills himself?

on holy crap they made more!? D:

i didn't kno that >.<

• Spirited Away

Nightmare Before Christmas

• Prince of Persia: Sands of time

• Any comedy and horror one would be fine..

• Descipable me

• My top Fav are The Vow,Dear john and the The Lucky one why because they have the gorgeous an sexy men Channing Tatum :) and Zack Efron and they are few of the best romantic movies I've seen.

• i have never ever EVER seen anyone spell 'bored' that way. awesome. :p

Gladiator. because it's about vengeance and how delicious it can be.

• My fave movie ever has to be the 1989 film 'Uncle Buck' geez I love it XD You need to see all 3 Toy Story's as well :)

• Shawshank Redemption :)

• Pride and Prejudice

• More from Girls