Looking for new books to read! Any recommendations of your favorites?

Well I got a Kindle for my birthday... but it's tough trying to decide what sort of new books I want to read. I've only got a few, but there's so many to choose from, so I need your help guys!

ALSO, please don't say anything like Animal Farm or To Kill A Mockingbird or whatever other books we were all forced to read in 10th grade English... I'm looking for new ideas, and I'm interested in hearing about books that you actually enjoyed, you know? Thanks everyone!

Here's what my main interests are (though I'm usually pretty open to books):

-Pretty much anything fantasy (stuff like Redwall, Harry Potter, etc.)

-Plays (anything from Carmen to Hamlet!)

-Poetry (Emily Dickinson, E.E. Cummings)

-I like Stephen King a lot, though I've only read a handful of his books

And then just in general, a few of my favorite books are The Eyes of the Dragon, Fire Bringer, Anna Karenina, and The Hobbit.

Most Helpful Guy

• Darkly Dreaming Dexter, from the TV show 'Dexter'

Basically about a person who feels he needs to kill, so in order to satisfy his hunger he only goes after murderers, serial killers and has a 'code' which was given to him by his cop stepfather in order not to kill people, not get caught and get away with it

The narration in the book is really good by the main character

Really good, and the TV series after the first don't follow each other

Only 'book' I've really ever read so take with that what you will

• Oh hm! I've heard a lot of good things about Dexter. Is the book based on the show, or is it the other way around?

• Show based on the book, but as always the book is better

you should watch the TV show aswell as it's slightly different and after the first season and first book neither are the same which is kinda cool

Second is good but messed up(it's sorta gory), Third book is not great but still good but the one after is crap, the newest I haven't read but it's about cannabslism so I'm lookin forward to it

• Sounds good, thank you!

Most Helpful Girl

• If you like Anna Karenina, try Flaubert's Madame Bovary. Also, speaking of French authors, Marguerite Yourcenar's Memoirs of Hadrian is really excellent if you like Roman history, andif you have time and stamina, Proust's In Search of Lost Time is worth the effort. If you're an art or Renaissance buff, Irving Stone wrote an biographical novel about Michelangelo that's lovely. Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Nabokov both write stunningly lyrical prose, as does Virginia Woolf (Mrs. Dalloway has so much food for thought). Borges and Kafka are wonderful writers if you have a taste for mind games. If you like politics, Arthur Koestler's Darkness at Noon is a fascinating study of communism.

For humor, Douglas Adams and P.G. Wodehouse are absolutely mandatory; they are possibly the two funniest writers I have ever read. Dorothy Parker is charmingly pithy and caustic, her short stories especially. For plays, Tom Stoppard, Oscar Wilde, and Peter Schaffer are superlative. I also second the recommendation of "A Doll's House." And, Edward Albee's "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" is so well done.

I sometimes like Saul Bellow (Humboldt's Gift), but he can be tiresomely introspective. And speaking of introspection, Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being kept my attention and made me think.

George Orwell always has something interesting to say. I'm sure that you've read 1984, but Down and Out in Paris and London gives a great perspective on poverty.

Fantasy/Sci-fi has so many great contributions. Isaac Asimov and John Wyndham are both fabulous. If you like immersion, Tolkein practically lived in Middle Earth, and The Lord of the Rings is a pretty easy trilogy to read once you get past the first 100 pages or so.

As far as poets are concerned, I like Yeats, Whitman, Owen, Tennyson, Thomas, Byron, Keats, Frost, and Shelley (yes, a lot of Romantics).

I don't know, these are some of my top preferences, but there are just so many. Hope it helps.

What Guys Said 4

• The Lord of the Rings, Into the Wild, Into Thin Air, Farmer Giles of Ham, White Slaves of Maquinna, Sky of Swords, Lord of the Fire Lands, The Sword of Shannara, Magician: Apprentice, Shadowdale, Tantras, Waterdeep (The Avatar trilogy), The Finder's Stone trilogy (Azure Bonds, The Wyvern's Spur, Song of the Saurials).

• PS I read Animal Farm on my own time and I liked it. Same with Catch-22.

• Thanks a lot!

And I actually do have the Lord of the Rings books, I really need to sit down and read those one of these days...

• hey only if you want to! It should be enjoyable :P

• What kind of books do you read?

• Haha, I guess that would help, wouldn't it?

• If you're science minded, Ray Kurzweil's "The Singularity is Near" and Hawking/Mlodinow's "A Briefer History of Time" are exactly what you need.

• Wow hey, thank you so much! : )

• I'd recomend Les Miserables but you would have to find a non censored version.

The difference is that in the censored version nobody dies.

• What, is there really a censored version?

I can't decide whether I want to read it in French or English first... otherwise I probably would have read it by now...

• The english version is fine, its just that there are a few versions that are censored floating around that you should watch out for as it just ruins the original story.

• 1984, by George Orwell

• I've only read two books twice: that and The Hobbit

That said, The Hobbit is massively enjoyable, and 1984 is completely bleak.

What Girls Said 6

• TWILIGHT!

lol, just kidding. my favorite book is jane eyre but some schools require you to read that, other than that I like a child called it, and water for elephants.

• Hitchiker's guide to the galaxy by Douglas Adams (hilarious scifi)

I love stephen king so I suggest you read It, Duma Key, Rose Madder, Needful things, Misery, Pet Semetery..

• Personally, my favorite books right now are Water for Elephants & anything by Phillipa Gregory like The Other Boleyn Girl.

• Water for Elephants was actually on their top seller list the last time I checked... guess I should check it out. Thanks!

• I am america by stephen colbert

• -The Indigo Notebook (I love this one!)

-The Cupcake Queen

-Lucky T (Ooh! Travel!)

-Inkheart (It's in a trilogy)

-House of the Scorpion (It's Sci-fi, but it's good!)

-The Ambassador's Son (By Homer Hickam!)

-The Twelfth Night (Shakespeare!)

-The Shakespeare Stealer

All of them are favorites of mine, though of a somewhat low reading level. Have fun!

Oh! I should include these too:

-To kill a mocking bird

-A tree grows in Brooklyn

-Diary of Anne Frank

-The Outsiders

These are more of classics!

• Kama Sutra !