Does anybody know anything about photography?

I'm interested in taking it up as a hobby. I only have a $200 camera.I'm signed up for a photography class next semester but I still don't know jack about photography or cameras and I don't want to look like a noob. What is the first thing that I need? Any tips would be appreciated.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's been a looooong time since my high school photography class, but I'll give it a go.

The first thing you need: a camera :P

This all depends on whether you are shooting digitally or with actual film. Make sure your shutter speed is properly set, otherwise the photo will be blurry. The subject of the photo must be centered; if it is a whole person, don't cut off their feet or the top of their head. Lighting is key. Turn off the flash if there is sufficient light. When you do have the flash on, avoid as much as you can a reflective surface. Developing a roll of film will take about an hour.

And that's about all I can remember. I enjoyed photography, though. I'd recommend looking at the photos in your local newspaper. I'm sure you'll have fun.

• Thanks! Sorry I should have specified that the class requires the film camera. I know nothing about film cameras since the one I have is digital. Here's a picture: link I like nature photography a lot :P. Thanks again for the tips :)!

• Nature photography is quite beautiful. There's one image I'd really like to find; it's a seashore at sunset (try saying that ten times fast), but I haven't been able to find it. Granted it's a painting, but it would still make an awesome photo.

What Guys Said 5

• Okay the real basics...

-Shutter Speed-

A faster shutter speed means the shutter stays open for a shorter period of time. This is good for action photography, as it reduces motion blur. However, in dim light, you need to use a slower shutter speed or your pictures will be under-exposed (too dark). Sometimes you would use a slower shutter speed for artistic effect - link link link (these would require a tripod).

-Aperture-

A wider aperture (lower f-number) lets more light in. This means you can use a faster shutter speed, without the image being over-exposed (too light). Changing the aperture size also allows you to control the depth-of-field - for example, you can deliberately blur the background by using a lower f-number link link

-ISO-

This is the sensitivity of the film/sensor. A higher ISO number is more sensitive, so it doesn't need as much light - meaning it's better in gloomy conditions. The downside is that a higher ISO also increase image noise (graininess), so you should always use the lowest ISO you can get away with.

The rest is up to you and your artistic flair :)

• To be honest, I know nothing of photography; however, it is my assumption that if it is a photography class... there will be understanding that there may be several students doing the same as you. I doubt you will seem like a noob seeing as several people will be on the same ground as you will be, and more likely will be mature or helpful even. Don't worry too much about looking bad, we all start somewhere. :)

• A websit called: "Digital Photography School" has a lot of great info. I'm not a photographer, but I still use the website when I am not sure what difference certain settings on my DSLR camera do. It has helped me a lot.

• Hello! A good camera is not so important as a good lens for it. I've had a lot of different cameras as well as lenses. I want to say that you can buy some old cheap ones, and you will take much better pictures with them than with some expensive hardware. For example, I've recently got a Helios lens from http://helios40-2.com website for $49. It is much better than some pricey Canon or Nikon lenses. Be wise choosing your equipment

• At some point you will want a dslr and some good lenses. And a good tripod. Basic knowledge of F-Stop, Exposure time, ISO etc. Knowledge of Photoshop and Lightroom. (Classroom in a book for photoshop and lightroom are good). What kind of photography? Portraits, sports, wildlife, art, macro? Don't worry, you are a noob, and people will be eager to help you.

What Girls Said 2

• I am a beginner in photography and want to become a successful and professional photograph and I start my photo study online. It helps me a lot! Their tips are awesome) U are welcome=) PS it does not matter how much cost your cam if you have a talent=)

• Digital photography, I assume? You don't need to know anything. The point of a class is to learn.