Why do people like to watch people fight as a form of entertainment?

Two guys throwing punches at a bar, two girls puling hair, underground fighting, blood squirting out, teeth flying from a persons' mouth. I just don't understand why people find this entertaining.

My uncle was a professional boxer and he lost his hearing. I never understood why he fought. My father use to get into a lot of physical fights when he was young all the way into his twenties. I always thought it was immature (he had anger issues, but that is besides the point).

I was watching a documentary on underground fighting and it just made me think why people enjoy watching people, or---in some cases---animals, beat each other.

I find in barbaric, so I am looking for a new perspective.

Most Helpful Guy

• Because it is entertaining. Watching a battle of will's to see which one is strongest. It is the most ultimate form of competition. There are differences between being entertained, and blood lust though.

For me personally, I love watching fights. MMA fights are my favorite, because they are fair and they have a referee. Underground fight clubs where people just beat each other senseless get very hard for me to watch. There comes a point in which is person is out of the fight, and for the other party to continue to beat on them is inhumane. And I'd never want to watch a fight to the death. Unless George Soros or someone who deserved it was getting beat to death.

• "Watching a battle of will's to see which one is strongest" Never thought of it that way. Thank you. :)

What Guys Said 17

• I think that men get the same kind of entertainment out of it that most women get out of watching women be catty with each other on shows like real housewives and stuff. Most people enjoy watching fighting, just with men its physical, with women its just.. being catty.

• I get an adrenaline rush when I'm involved. As AltTech mentioned, the competitive nature of fighting has a lot to do with the appeal. I honestly don't see much difference between regular sports and fighting, other than that fighting makes more sense, certainly more than NASCAR does.

I don't watch professional wrestling, boxing, or the like. However, I have been involved in multiple forms of martial arts and fought in tournaments when I was a kid. Again, the appeal to me was the adrenaline rush, amplified by the fact that I could get hurt if I wasn't careful, and the reward of becoming a stronger person because of it. When I watch other people fight, I either gain or lose respect for them based on whether or not they won, and how they won. I don't respect people who break the rules and hit too high or too low. I also gain an enormous amount of satisfaction knowing I can hold my own in a fight and protect my family and friends, and I have done this.

A lot of things people do are barbaric. I'd rather be scolded for being too violent than fleeing, pretending to not notice, or hoping someone else intervenes when someone else is threatened.

• It is immaturity. I don't enjoy seeing two girls fight, or two guys fight in a public place. Its drama. You also always have to be careful when you are in a some kind of altercation in a public place, because you can seriously hurt or even kill someone. I'd never want that on my conscious. If someone is mouthing off to me or is in my face I do want to shut them up, but no I don't want to kill them or seriously hurt them. I've been in my fair share of scraps and its a last resort. I don't go looking for drama.

If it is a competitive sport like MMA or Boxing it is a contest of with and might. The participants are both combatants and know the risk. In that sense I do enjoy watching competition. I myself am rather competitive by nature.

• Because it's fun

I admit it's barbaric, and stupid, and a bunch of other stuff

But humans are supposed to let loose

We're supposed to break the chains and restrictions of proper behavior every now and then

If nobody ever faught the world would be a lot more peaceful and safe

But there'd be a lot of miserable people

I don't eatch fights regularly

But if my dad is watching one and there's nothing else on I'll get in on it and cheer

Getting into fights is also fun for me

Cause no one ever thinks I'll win

And I love surprising people

• Well, if you look throughout history, men have always been "competing" against each other.

Fighting has been apart of being a "man" since the beginning of the human race!

Look at Roman gladiators for example, people loved to watch these men fight each other. In current times, it's not quite so barbaric.

But when ever girls blame me for doing or saying something aggressive, I just tell them "I swear, it's not my fault, my Y chromosome made me do it!".

It's the same thing with fast cars and sport bikes, I blame my testosterone. XD

• For some, including myself, viewing violence is a way to let out frustrations. If I'm having a bad day and I'm really pissed off, tuning into UFC will relax me.

• I think men like watching because it's the sweet science, the aestheitcs - poetry in motion!

I think women like watching because it determines which male is worthy of affection and passing on his DNA. (The victor.)

• I'm not too into boxing, but I practice Brazilian Jiu Jitsu so I find it really impressive to see the technique a lot of mma guys display...the amount of dedication required to be that adept is incredible.

• But what about those random fights in a bar or something that people find entertaining?

• Disagree . . . Boxing like all sports requires an art and perfection . . .

I guess I wouldn't advise anybody to beat people up for a living unless they have a natural gift to do so . . .

• No I mean I realize boxing has a crazy amount of technique involved as well, I just mean as a personal preference I prefer martial arts that aren't as striking heavy. Boxers train just as hard, it's just not my speed. As for bar fights and stuff...seeing those actually play out makes me feel kinda sick.

• I don't find ufc fights fight or any other form of fancy kick boxing entertaining most of the time but as an aspiring martial artist and extreme martial arts enthusiasts I very much enjoy watching martial artist compete

• to me fighting barbaric but you have to fight you have fight,but people fight for the rights of saying that they are better,stronger, etc then there the other guy

but I think reason why people like to watch fight might stem for the fact that man's DNA is almost identical the primitive apes, but that is only true if you believe in what you were taught in school

• Being a fighter in MMA, Boxing, and wrestling sense I was very young I believe I can answer this question. Being in a fight and hitting someone gives you a small dose of dopamine. Dopamine makes you feel good. Watching a fight can make you feel like you are in a fight even if you don't realize it. So basically a fight gives your brain a dose of dopamine.

• Conflict is in our nature.

• Because I'm a Saiyan.

• I do not think it is barbaric, it is often a physical battle as well as a mental one. I think it comes down to a choice, do you want to solve things the right way, or the fast way?

• i don't know but I think is fun... plus is something you don't see everyday

• I am a former MMA fighter (UFC style). I had nine fights in my career.

When it comes down to it, I'm a nice guy (and I don't like the word "nice" but it's true) . I'm well educated and have a white collar job. I like jazz music and am pretty mellow. I have been in only one street fight in my entire life. It was situation where I had to defend myself.

I don't like street fighting anymore than you do. However this male aggression that most women will never understand. They will never understand male aggression and testosterone anymore than men will understand why woman love shopping, shoes and talking. However our society has become increasingly passive, non confrontational and soft. Hetereosexual men were not born to behave the way our society has become (and some women are aggressive too).

I personally feel increasing more and more tense in our politically correct culture. I get sick and tired of being "polite" to everybody...but I do it because I have a professional job. But back when I was fighting...it felt like a huge release. All my stress, frustration and anger was vaporized after a good fight. It also helped give me self respect (even in the 2 fights I lost)

People like to watch other people fight because they wish they could have that kind primal instinct/behavior that is no longer acceptable in our society. It's all about living vicariously

• I think it's wired into our DNA. Humans are very violent. It's that tiny bit of caveman in us lol. It's a great philosophical question though. One might also inquire why we wage war against each other and if the need to fight ties into that. Although I see how idiotic it is, I can't lie, I love a good fight.

What Girls Said 3

• I am not sure but think back in ancient history - the romans had bloody entertainment at the colosseum. I think humans love fighting in general, not all but watching a fight really draws your eye.

• To be honest, I have no idea. I think people just thrive off any kind of drama, and I find it rather pathetic. Watching people fighting will never appeal to me.

• because, it's entertaining? barbaric entertainment. they're putting on a show