I hate pop culture and mainstream media. Is that unattractive?

Now I don't hate it entirely. but I hate how it's a tool used to distract people from real issues. I hate how talentless media whores somehow wind up famous and the center of attention because of it. Since I stopped owning a TV it has been quite easy to avoid pop culture. There's so much imperialist propaganda in pop culture it is sickening.

For example, when the UN Climategate scandal was taking place, the media successfully diverted everyone's attention to Tiger Woods' affair. It's an example of taking an issue that really matters and hiding it with bullsh*t that does not.

The only aspects of the billion dollar entertainment industry I like are sports and a few TV series and movies I enjoy that I find are well written. I get most of my news from alternate media like Drudge Report and Infowars, so I try to keep up with what's going on in the world.

I do a good job of ignoring the nonsense for the most part. In fact, I was the only one in my marketing class who didn't know who didn't know who the kardashians were.

But because so many people hold celebrity gossip and Pop culture so dear to them, would that mean they find my views on the subject dreadful and not wanna associate with me?

Most Helpful Guy

• If you had female parts and your mouth wasn't so twisted-looking, I'd ask you to marry me.

What Girls Said 12

• It is indeed stupid and whoever pays attention to this stuff is just drama whores themselves, believe me I know as that's all I see with anyone who likes all the mainstream stuff it's just like "Omg! paris hilton got this great pair of shoes but omg... she's SUCH a slut" then they go around picking and comparing everyone else to themselves, j listen to all the good stuff like Evanescence , Paramore, Flyleaf, Within Temptation :D now that's good music :P, I was totally over pop music when I came across Evanescence who is my favorite band in the entire world, nobody can beat them and comparing any rock bands to any mainstream singers or bands isn't really invalid as it's just "OH! OH! yeh yeh yeh" compared to the kick ass lyrics that mean something and the great riffs and piano tunes that actually took more effort to right. I feel the media, the music industry have just got far too lazy and take the easy way out just like with everything else.

• No it is not unattractive that you feel the way you do.You just need to find someone who thinks on the same wavelength as you.

• Same here, I don't watch TV anymore but only for the news really.

I didn't go to a movie theatre For Years now always the same obvious story imo :/

I avoid the mainstream it feels so damn crazy -- in a bad way --!

80% of the media feels dumb for me now srsly !

• It's fine if you hate it but it depends on how passionately. I'm not really into pop culture myself but I don't spend time getting mad about it. It's really annoying being with someone who spends all their time hating something and complaining about how stupid it is.

• that's attractive.

• I've literally stopped watching TV recently as two weeks ago., I stopped listening to radio 12 years ago. I usually pirate my music nowadays.

• I hate it too *high five*

• We wouldn't have anything to tall about

• anything to talk about? Why so?

• If I said that we won't have anything to talk about then that means that I DO like mainstream media... I hate when people play stupid little word games...

• I left one word out and you felt the need to comment -_-

• I like guys who aren't afraid to think outside the box, but not the ones who don't fit in.then again, I'm not a counter culture type of girl so someone like me would not be compatible anyway

• YES. I only date mindless drones!:P

• I really don't see that as a turn off.

• Too bad Valentine's day is over. I was going to ask you to be my valentine.

• You're not alone. I rarely like what everyone else likes.

Mainstream, pop, reality TV - I have no use for any of it.

What Guys Said 12

• You might have convinced me, except for two things:

1. You used the term "imperialist propaganda." That's a meaningless term that really says "Look everybody, I'm a hip, non-conformist, anti-establishment rebel, just like all the other cool kids!"

2. You said you like sports. If you're really opposed to manipulation of the masses by mindless, meaningless drivel, sports are the last thing you could justify indulging in.

So, thinking for yourself: not unattractive. Calling attention to yourself by declaring how much you hate attention whores ...

• " I hate how it's a tool used to distract people from real issues."

Isn't that the entire purpose of entertainment? I sure as heck don't want to be thinking about "real issues" 24/7. I don't go for anything that would be considered pop, I don't even have a TV. But I want some form of entertainment to just kick back and relax. I usually read or play games to relax. But if someone wants to veg out in front of the TV, I don't really care. If they spend too much time doing it then I think it's bad. But a reasonable amount is fine with me.

I think most people, even most of the ones who follow that stuff, don't really care about it. It's just pure entertainment.

I quit being overly involved in news, politics and world events long ago. It just messes up the head thinking about that stuff too much. I mean yea I like to debate politics, the economy, social issues etc. But I can only handle it in small doses.

I prefer to get my "news" by using my own eyes and ears. What I see outside my door is more real and pertinent that the distorted stuff in the news. I'm somewhat of a luddite. Information overload from television, radio, internet news or anything else just messes with the head and makes it hard to think clearly. Better to forget all that stuff and be more down to earth and plant some seeds in the ground.

BTW, I don't know who the Kardashians are either. I've heard the name hundreds of times, but I have no idea who they are (and don't care).

As far as being unattractive? No I don't think it's unattractive in moderation. But I think being too much into pop, or too much into "real issues" either one is unattractive.

• I'm right there with you man. But if whether or not is attractive to others is depending on the other person. Its really a good filtering process for you however. What I mean is, the people who find it unattractive are people who are crazy about pop culture. Those people are cool to talk to and be friends with but to get serious with, not so much. (not for someone who is unconcerned with all the mainstream anyway) But there are girls out there that think the same way as you. And when you meet one of them, you will have yourself somebody you could think more serious with. I'm like you for example and my girlfriend is the same way. I might date 5 pop obsessed girls for every one that I find that is like me, but they are out there. And its nice when you are hanging out and don't feel left out of the conversation because you don't know what is going on with the latest reality show or some nonsense. I can have fun, laugh and have intelligent conversation etc. with someone that's more educated and less trained by the t.v.

And as far as just social/friends in general, it might be more difficult to make close genuine friends but the ones you do it will be better. There is nothing wrong with YOU its more what PEOPLE have turned into these days. I go out and watch couples or friends sit together in a restaurant and be balls deep in their smart phones not speak one word to each other. People have just lost real connection and social ability. Do your thing, and don't worry about it. Friends and girlfriends who share your same views are out there.

• No, I like you for it. If people hold celebrity gossip close to them, they need to get a life. Its absolutely stupid with all these "celebs" and paparazzi and all that crap.

Yeah, I'm actually writing an essay for school how America is just like The Hunger Games Capitol. We are obsessed with entertainment and fashion and stuff like that. So obsessed, we ignore the plight of others.

• At your age, yeah. 'Rebelling against the man' is sort-of a under-22 thing. Beyond that if you hate it, it's a little weird. You don't have to like it, obviously, but to spend enough time thinking about it to qualify for hating it is a little immature.

• Conformity = maturity?

• Not exactly. Hating something requires a certain energy that is usually only found in the young. You can still dislike it, but building your 'image' around disliking something inherently temporary is a bit childish.

• Well I'm on your side on this , I too dislike all these .

I don't think its atractive or not as long as you don't go on and rant your opinion to the people that like these stuff , as long as you can respect that they like what in your eyes or mine may seem sh*tty , then I guess there is no problem and if some people can't respect your opinion as you respect theirs , then I don't think that they are the best kind of people to have around you imo .

• This kind of attitude of ignoring the bullsh*t on the media to focus on what really matters is a very mature way of looking at things. And socially conscious women who are interested in politics will definitely like it.

But you also have to be careful. You can't talk about politics every minute of the day, 24/7, otherwise you'll be annoying and predictable. You gotta keep your audience in mind and what they want. If the person you are talking to isn't into politics, don't give them a lecture about global warming or foreign policy and the like.

• Yeah, I'm not nearly as political as I used to be. Don't like talking about them as much. My boss is political and I disagree with most of his beliefs which is why I especially don't talk politics with him,

• yeah so you should be good as long as your views are strong and humble at the same time.

• You're not going to have much in common with most people because they usually distract themselves with these petty things. However, if you're anything like me, you probably don't give a damn. Either this or find like minded people.

• I agree to a large extent, I suppose. I'm not as extreme about it, but it can get pretty frustrating sometimes.

Ps. I still don't know who the Kardashians are :)

• Most of it is shallow sh*t and should be hated.

• It IS unattractive. Or you have to find someone who thinks exactly like you do (Which is not common, as I'm sure you'd agree or you wouldn't be making this question).

Best advice I ever got was, "You don't have to like it. You just have to be in the loop. Know about the latest meme's or trends and just tease them if you don't like them. It's much better to be in the loop doing that than not fitting it in all."

I agree with everything you said, by the way. And I too hate pop culture.

• Correction: Best advice I ever got on this topic.

• I couldn't care less about reality shows and celebrity gossip. That's mostly what's on TV these days and it does nothing for me.

For the most part what I watch on television is sports, sitcoms, documentaries, news, occassionally some classic cartoons and very few original series as most new shows suck.