Do you think fighting should be banned from hockey?

I'm hearing rumblings about this, and I think it would be a huge mistake. I'm a football guy, but hockey is my second favorite sport. I think I might even love the fights even more than the game itself. I think the self-policing aspect of the game is one of the things that makes it such a great and unique sport. If you want to start playing rough and throwing your weight around, fine, but someone is going to make you answer for it. And in any case, I'm always down to see two people beat the holy hell out of each other, whether it be on a rink, in a ring, or just on the street. Fistfights are the purest form of human competition. If you think that makes me a bad guy, so be it, but nothing -and I mean NOTHING- gets me more excited than a fight.

My biggest problem is that, like most things that are awesome, the litigiousness of our society is ruining everything. The world was a better place before everyone started suing everyone for every little thing. Professional football is being ruined in the same way. You can't even play the game the right way anymore, and it's done under the guise of player safety, but it's blatantly obvious that it's being done to protect the league from lawsuits.

If you ask me, you sign your right to safety away by playing these sports. Football and hockey are both dangerous games. I played football, for NO money, and I was fully aware of the risks. I knew that I could wreck my knees, damage my brain, or even be paralyzed. You understand that when you step on the field. Why can't you just make athletes sign a waiver? They'll be compensated well for playing, but waive their right to any litigation over any aftereffects. I think a league's only responsibility is to disclose the risks, then it's the player's option to expose himself to said risks in return for his salary. If you're worried about it, go get a desk job selling insurance and don't play. I'd play pro sports in a heartbeat if I had the talent, and I sure as shit would never embarrass myself by suing because I got hurt. A pro athlete is a modern day gladiator, they subject themselves to physical punishment for entertainment.Hell, if they still allowed real gladiators I'd be a season ticket holder.

I just take issue with the world's phony preoccupation with safety, when it's all really done out of self-interest. Don't mess with tradition to protect grown-ass adults from themselves. I love football so passionately, but it's being gradually ruined because of this, and I'm fearing the same for hockey. I personally would boycott the NHL if fighting were ever abolished. The number one thing in the world that offends me is being soft, and that would be soft as baby food.

What do you guys think?

Most Helpful Girl

• No fighting is awesome should not be banned.

• Will you marry me? Haha

• Stunning. Why do you ask?

• haha this conversation was almost as entertaining as fighting in hockey!

What Girls Said 4

• No. Never. They need to just leave my sport alone. Enough s*** has been ruined for the sake of being politically correct. Ugh! Soon we will be watching mindless TV shows of people petting bunnies for 30 minutes. We are human. We need to get aggression out somehow or we all will go nuts. This is why we play sports in the first place.

• I don't think it should be banned... like wrestling isn't banned, it's a sport itself lol. Fighting in hockey is allowed until someone can't defend themselves right?

It's entertaining to see fighting when I'm at a game. And I don't condone violence at all

• NO. It weeds out the weak players. Joking, but it's so exciting when the gloves drop, and you know shit's about to go down.

• I know! Such a rush

• Lol your name pretty much says were you stand on the matter bring on the fights plus new jersey come on hockey central.

• Hahah I know! But once I saw the question I couldn't stay away :)

• No, absolutely not. It is just part of the game.

What Guys Said 5

• Fighting is the best part when someone gets body slammed against the glass is awesome its like in football when someone gets ready to throw that touchdown throw then suddenly gets smeared by three guys its exciting. I'm a martial artist and I did a lot of tournaments and what we do its a lot worse then hockey and we don't care all that much for safety don't kick the neck back or knees other then that we can beat any area to a pulp and we come out of it fine. So I am sure guys wearing huge suits with pads and helmets will be OK. Keep the fighting the slamming keep it all and keep your hands off my sports. Now if you excuse me I'm going to walk around in my Dr.Pepper shirt that says trust me I'm a doctor and laugh at all the comments I get about it lol later y'all.

• Fighting is part of the game and it can help energize both teams. Fighting is not why I watch hockey but a good fight can be good.

• never

• Nope not at all, it get their anger out and it is fun to watch them fight.

• Yes. Why? Because fighting isn't allowed in football , baseball and basketball. If hockey wasn't a predominantly white sport, fighting would've been banned a long time ago.