Books I should really read in your opinion?

I like a lot of books of a lot of different genres, but I want to explore some more instead of sticking with what I know. And just roaming in the library and reading the backs of a lot of books, just isn't my thing. So, in your opinion, what are the books a human being just should read?

Most Helpful Girl

• If you ask a religious person, he/she would say the Bible/Quran/such.
    If you ask me, I'd reccomend "Crime and punishment" by F. M. Dostoievski, "1984" by George Orwell and "The magus" by John Fowles. My favorite books are by far the "La Medeleni" trilogy by Ionel Teodoreanu, but they're not available in English , unfortunately.

What Guys Said 6

• I'm not sure what type of books you're looking for. I'm personally not really into novels, I love reading science, philosophy and economic books or certain books that challenge my beliefs.

Where the Conflict Really Lies: Science, Religion, and Naturalism - Alvin Plantinga
    (Extraodinary book, I've never heard of it put this way, some people often find this overly complex to understand but it's definitely an incredible read)

Physics of Immoratality - Frank J Tipler

Neoconservatism: Why We Need it - Douglas Murray

Mark Steyn - After America: Get Ready for Armageddon
    (Brilliant look at the economic situation in the west and the culture, i'd advise reading the first book though first)

Monopolizing Knowledge - Ian Hitchinson

God's Mechanics - Brother Guy Consolmagno

etc

• Depends a little bit of what type of book you're looking for.
    If you prefer novel style books, then 1984 and Brave New World would be some works with a political note to read. As disturbing as I found the message of the book, I still recommend to have a look at Jonathan Livingston Seagull.
    The works of Nietzsche and Martin Heidegger (given you already know Plato and Aristotle) are very deep philosophical works. The former analysing his time (and even our time) with stunning accuracy, the latter giving you a bunch of questions about "Time and Being" (literally and also the title of his most famous book) to think about.

• Yeah I know a little something about 1984 (my friend has read it) and it sounds like an awesome book. I've heard of the work of Plato and Aristotle, perks of having Greek, Latin and philosophy, but I've never actually read them. Are they any good?

• BNW and 1984 were on my list.

• They were literally on my list :D On the reading list for my Senior High finals. We had to take exams in every subject we had during our senior high and English happened to be one :D

• The Catcher in the Rye, its just a very socially significant book up to today. It was censored at one time
    en....pedia.org/.../The_Catcher_in_the_Rye

• Freakanomics.

Outliers.(gladwell)

Give Me a Break! (stossel)

Starship Troopers.

Atlas Shrugged.

Dune.

• Just read The Sunne in Splendour - bought for me by my last gf. Fantastic historical novel about Richard III

• the brotherhood of the grape

What Girls Said 8

• As far as novels for girls, I am a big fan of Danielle Steele. She is an excellent novelist, and has written many romance novels. One was even based on her son who passed away a long time ago, and others have appeared as TV movies. I am always enthralled whenever I settle down with her..:)) xx

• Mad Town by Yalmact Swillirs (you can get it through amazon). It's so unusual, it's like a dark and twisted Alice in Wonderland. The author keeps you guessing at every turn. I really loved it, I don't want to go into too much detail and ruin it but it's a great read

• Yeah I loved Alice in Wonderland. How's Mad Town language wise? Cause I've read Alice in the form for aristocratic people, and I've had to look op words at every page, since English isn't my native language.

• It's very well written and easy to understand. I really liked how the author wrote it. FYI there are quite a few funny scenes in it. I lol'd out loud quite a few times!

• If you are interested in philosophy I would definitely recommend 'Sophie's world' by Jostein Gaarder. It really makes you thin and I couldn' stop reading it. It takes you through the history of philosophy with story inside of a story. That's all I'm going to tell you. Anyway, if you decide to read it let me know what you think of it. :)

• If you're into creepy stuff, that touches up on human behavior, social order and is generally good satire, then I highly recommend reading "Master & Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov and perhaps watching a few film/TV adaptations.

It is HIGHLY controversial, so if you're religious, you might want to take it in with a grain of salt.

• Watership Down by Richard Adams
    Matilda by Roald Dahl
    Those two books I have read recently and they are better than what I thought.

• If you like mystery/romance, Dee Henderson's "O'Malley" series is good.

• LDK (it's a manga)

• 50 Shades of Gray.