How to comfort my friend and help her get over her ex because I can't stand seeing her hurt?

Here is the situation: my friend lets say she's called Emily was dating this guy called jack, now they had what I would have considered one of the best relationships I had seen, no arguments or anything but one day for no reason jack just stopped talking to Emily and lost all contact but she left it a month before ending the relationship (because there might have been reasons why he stopped) but anyway she was hurt about the break up because she still loved him and I really want to help her get over him or find a way to comfort her because I hate seeing my friends upset and we are close so I want to comfort her, can anyone advise me in how to do this? Because I'm not usually in this situation and I'm not sure what to do

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

What Girls Said 3

What Guys Said 2

• Selected as most helpful

I'm going through a break-up at the moment as well so hopefully I can offer some insight on this. I would suggest that you do not, by all means, compliment her or come across as wanting her. She's vulnerable now and probably misses him and having a boyfriend in general and adding in your feelings will NOT help things. Be her friend and that is all. Do not sleep with her if she randomly hits on you (not that this is common but it could happen), instead be there to comfort her and talk to her. The best thing you can do is ask her about how she feels, be there to listen to her, and offer your input on what she has to say. Tell her you want to help.

• Support her and listen to her. She doesn't necessarily need an opinion or statement given to her, just someone who can listen to the pain she's going through.

• Have sex with her

• and its girls like you that make guys like me seem like d***s if we actually did what you said, I mean I was asking for serious advise and you say something like that.

• I can't believe I'm saying this, but don't hit on her. Just be there and be positive. Provide fun activities to distract her from feeling sorry about breaking up. Listen, and give her a shoulder to cry on if she wants it. Again, don't hit on her. If she hits on you, you can respond, but be aware that it's the emotions of the moment talking.

• Take her out and have fun. Nothing cures a broken heart like company and distractions. Let her know you're there for her but don't be a doormat. For the love of all that's good, don't be a doormat.